FP3: Pixel camera app / Google Camera Port

I can recommend the last PX Mod - version 4.3. It processes HDR+ rather quickly, in like 5 seconds or so.

Please check https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-cstark27/ to download it.

6 Likes

Wow, it is so much faster, thanks!

Hmm it is quicker but I also experienced it struggling on focusing in low-medium light compared to default app

1 Like

Seems like the new camera is using the same sensor as the galaxy s10 lite:

Guess what I will try when the new camera modul arrivesā€¦

13 Likes

I donā€™t know if it can help, but it apparently also uses the same sensor as the Nokia 7.2 according to that article, with the camera port here

6 Likes

Hi,

I just installed GCam port (https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1148/) on the Fairphone 3+ I have to review. Did not test night mode yet (it is still daytime here :slight_smile:) but everything seems to work well. Selfie in portrait mode is way better. Stock camera has a color issue and portrait mode blurs to close to the face, result is a bit weird in the hair.

ā€œStableā€ version (GCam_5.200604.2138build-7.3.021.apk) does not work, I had to stay on build 2111.

I will post comparison pictures later on Instagram or Twitter and put here the links.

11 Likes

That Gcam port to Nokia 7.2 crashes, I couldnā€™t even see the UI.
I quickly compared stock camera app and Gcam in night mode yesterday.
Stock camera app keeps shutter speed as high as possible (1/12 s) but ISO jump to 3200 and dark zones get very noisy.
Gcam keeps ISO under 640 and fixes shutter speed to 1/4 s, so noise is quite low but you have to be very carefull not to move or shake while taking the picture. But if your steady, the result is great !

10 Likes

Well, looks like Gcam will be my first install once the new modules arrive.

1 Like

For daylight pictures, differences are not that obvious, stock camera is already good enough for me but I will really compare this week-end.
About Gcam, I think it is a bit more CPU intensive and I had a few freezes yesterday but I may be related to the different apps I tested, some of which crashedā€¦ So I must confirm also Gcam is as stable as expected. Or maybe another port would do betterā€¦ We will see that when more users have a chance to test :slight_smile:

I still have a huge complain about stock app : there is no way to control shutter speed, even in Pro mode. I would love to test stock app with Gcam parameters (shutter speed and ISO) to check if there is any magic algo in Gcam app or just optimized parameters.

3 Likes

I did. Curiously, I can only shoot night mode pictures in portrait orientation with that version. Each time I turn my phone into landscape mode, the display will switch back to portrait.

There are a lot of ports at https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/
I had the same experience with the cstark port and now use one with google camera 7.4 and these builds are working (for me)

3 Likes

I donā€™t have that issue neither with automatic rotation or manual.
Have you a FP3+ or FP3 and new modules ?

I have the old modules (FP3). But meanwhile Iā€™ve followed @schmulschubiak ā€™s advice and installed another APK which seems to work flawlessly.

1 Like

It must be the old modules. As the new modules and the FP3+ will be shipped not before 14th september 2020.

1 Like

@schmulschubiak, can you please share the name of the 7.4 build youā€™re using?

I tried some of the ports an the version of nikita (https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1322/) worked for me.

5 Likes

I thought there may be other FP3+ testers in the wild :wink:

Amazingly better pictures !

I ran into an issue last night for my final test, nightshot against Huawei P30. When taking picture in my city, I noticed 2 Green squares in the dark night sky at the same level on each side of a church. I thought it was hot pixels badly managed but they were to bigā€¦
On next pictures, they were still there, always in the same relative place but a little less bright.
Back home, I think I understood what happened. On the first pictures, there were 2 big city lights at the same level and same distance in between. As Gcam night shot mode des a long exposure, maybe some photocites get to much light and went too hot. Not sure a software update could correct thatā€¦

2 Likes

I just took another look at the pictures and it may be unexpected flare !
I could not find the spots on pictures with no direct light and spots slightly move from pictures to picturesā€¦
If this is flare, itā€™s definitely not a software issue !