FP3: Pixel camera app / Google Camera Port

Maybe this doesn’t help you but a workaround on the latest version would be to leave screen rotation lock on, but still take it landscape- the control orientation wont be correct but you won’t need to rotate the image once it saves as it realises.
Presumably we should set back camera to 3a, what about front camera? Is there any risk to damage the camera and/or do you know if san1ty has a reputation for APK being secure? Antivirus seems okay with it

Whom do you mean with “they”?

2 Likes

Has anyone here played with the aditional options
“Back camera model” (default Pixel XL)
and “Front camera model” (default Nexus 6p) ?

are those default settings even correct ?

Hmm had put back 3a & front 6P, only based on the 3a having the same sensor, seems to kind of work though takes a while to enter photo stream

I really like this version (make sure to delete application data after installing). No weird crashes so far. The portrait mode is also way better than with the stock camera app. The only downside is that it takes ~30 seconds to process a picture after taking it.

1 Like

Yeah has anyone managed to overcome the time delay on it entering Photos?

1 Like

I can recommend the last PX Mod - version 4.3. It processes HDR+ rather quickly, in like 5 seconds or so.

Please check https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-cstark27/ to download it.

6 Likes

Wow, it is so much faster, thanks!

Hmm it is quicker but I also experienced it struggling on focusing in low-medium light compared to default app

1 Like

Seems like the new camera is using the same sensor as the galaxy s10 lite:

Guess what I will try when the new camera modul arrives…

13 Likes

I don’t know if it can help, but it apparently also uses the same sensor as the Nokia 7.2 according to that article, with the camera port here

6 Likes

Hi,

I just installed GCam port (https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog1148/) on the Fairphone 3+ I have to review. Did not test night mode yet (it is still daytime here :slight_smile:) but everything seems to work well. Selfie in portrait mode is way better. Stock camera has a color issue and portrait mode blurs to close to the face, result is a bit weird in the hair.

“Stable” version (GCam_5.200604.2138build-7.3.021.apk) does not work, I had to stay on build 2111.

I will post comparison pictures later on Instagram or Twitter and put here the links.

11 Likes

That Gcam port to Nokia 7.2 crashes, I couldn’t even see the UI.
I quickly compared stock camera app and Gcam in night mode yesterday.
Stock camera app keeps shutter speed as high as possible (1/12 s) but ISO jump to 3200 and dark zones get very noisy.
Gcam keeps ISO under 640 and fixes shutter speed to 1/4 s, so noise is quite low but you have to be very carefull not to move or shake while taking the picture. But if your steady, the result is great !

10 Likes

Well, looks like Gcam will be my first install once the new modules arrive.

1 Like

For daylight pictures, differences are not that obvious, stock camera is already good enough for me but I will really compare this week-end.
About Gcam, I think it is a bit more CPU intensive and I had a few freezes yesterday but I may be related to the different apps I tested, some of which crashed… So I must confirm also Gcam is as stable as expected. Or maybe another port would do better… We will see that when more users have a chance to test :slight_smile:

I still have a huge complain about stock app : there is no way to control shutter speed, even in Pro mode. I would love to test stock app with Gcam parameters (shutter speed and ISO) to check if there is any magic algo in Gcam app or just optimized parameters.

3 Likes

I did. Curiously, I can only shoot night mode pictures in portrait orientation with that version. Each time I turn my phone into landscape mode, the display will switch back to portrait.

There are a lot of ports at https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/
I had the same experience with the cstark port and now use one with google camera 7.4 and these builds are working (for me)

3 Likes

I don’t have that issue neither with automatic rotation or manual.
Have you a FP3+ or FP3 and new modules ?

I have the old modules (FP3). But meanwhile I’ve followed @schmulschubiak ’s advice and installed another APK which seems to work flawlessly.

1 Like

It must be the old modules. As the new modules and the FP3+ will be shipped not before 14th september 2020.

1 Like