FP3: Pixel camera app / Google Camera Port

Actually, I think youā€™re in luck. Iā€™m reading a lot of positive reports on using GCam mods on the original FP3, with huge quality improvements over the stock app.
Not so sure about the FP3+ thoughā€¦

I donā€™t know because I only own the FP3+.

Wanted to give an update. The gcam port 8.1 seems to have some issues that for the moment make me hesitant to use it as my main camera app.
I had a few issues where the camera would not save pictures after taking them.

As the time goes im mainly interested in timelapse & short slo-mo than night mode and bigger resolution and whatnot. Has anyone tried if that works ?

Have you not installed in and tried?
What do you imagine would happen?

Iā€™ll try tomorrow ~ itā€™s late here in the UK and nothing is moving in this field I inhabit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well nothing to write home about the slow motion was slooooow and the time lapse effectively speeeeeeeeeeded things up.

What more can I say, what did you expect ??? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wanted to report that Iā€™m using the Urnyx05 port, version 7.3.018. I donā€™t use this as my main camera app but do switch to it whenever I get image quality that Iā€™m not happy with in the stock app.

If you want to download this too, I recommend you spend a few minutes on the site to gain some information about the ports. There really are a lot of options out there. I ended up choosing one based on its release date, and that it was marked as ā€œstableā€ by this website.

1 Like

Ah, nothing more than that it works as intended! I am still waiting to get my screen protector to actually carry my fp around. I got a pouch already, but since im working construction, absurd amount of dust sometime is my main concern and the reason i am still not carrying it as my daily driver

So you have a pouch which will keep the dust out of the usb port hopefully?

Maybe a useful information for all the people here trying to figure out which camera app is actually useful on the FP3. For me many of the apkā€™s that I have tried, were not really useful, as the picture processing time was way too long for a normal use and focus, for example also did not work properly. I hope FP themselves will invest a lot in giving a stock one that is actually useful. (well to be honest, now using it for a more then 1 year I wish for A LOT)

I can recommend NGCam_7.4.104-v2-0_eng. Very quick HDR processing times, focus works great. The only disadvantage is that you cannot select the FPS for video, but well. This version worked absolutely best for me so far.

Have fun!

10 Likes

I use FP3 with LineageOS, and tried many of those .apks recommended here. And none of them worked. Until I recently found out of Gcam services provider (on F-droid)
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/de.lukaspieper.gcam.services/
After that, I installed one from the post above, and it works great. Photo quality is better than with Open Camera

3 Likes

OK. You have no Gapps and no microG installed?
Really pure Lineage?

Yes, I forgot to mention that. No microg/gapps, pure LOS. I would rather use CalyxOS or GrapheneOS, but also love FP. I was considereng /e/, but think Lineage might be more stable. So far (little bit less than a year) Iā€™m happy with this combo

2 Likes

OK. I donā€™t like/e/OS, too
Alternative: LOS4mg and iode

LOS4mg pure LOS only with microG included.

https://lineage.microg.org/

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know whether the GCam apps on a FP3/3+ can be adjusted to save the pictures directly to the Camera folder in the SD card (installed as external memory, not internal) instead of the Camera folder of the phone memory?

Thanks!

Hi Emre,
i just checked it out. There is no option to choose a storage option in the GCam App. Atleast not in the one I am using (Nikitaā€™s NGCam_7.4.104-v2.0). The pictures are automatically saved to the DCIM folder.
Ah, forgot to mention: FP3 with updated camera modules here.

3 Likes

Same with GCam_8.1.101_Wichaya_V1.5 on FP4.

1 Like

Thanks for the inputs! Yes actually I came to the same conclusion after digging into it a bit. It is (at least for now) not possible. If Iā€™m correct the main reason for this is the fact that the Pixel phones does not support an SD-card and therefore there is no option to choose between the storage locations.

2 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m reporting Iā€™ve been using Nikita: NGCam_8.2.300-v1.6 happily for roughly a month now. Most stable one I tried until now.

2 Likes

Any advantages compared to Wichaya?