FP3: Pixel camera app / Google Camera Port

Sorry for the double post, just upping the topic to know if someone found a stable version for video ?
Not being able to lock the exposure on the stock app is very annoying…

I can only shoot @30fps with my version of GCam…

With the stock photo app remaining quite horrible probably for the time being, I’d like to try out Nikita’s Gcam / ngcam - Google Camera Port: Nikita apks .
However, I do want to get a sense of possible security issues when installing apps, especially from outside the Play Store. What ‘scares’ me a bit when looking at Nikita’s cam (7.4) is that
a) It’s quit large in file size (almost 130MB vs. around 51MB for other gcam mods)
b) I’m unable to find any info whatsoever about the developer Nikita / nickpl13. The name is mentioned on XDA forums, but the user does not exist (anymore?).
Virustotal gives just a single warning on the 7.4 file, which probably is a false flag. But with code obfuscation techniques, malware can be hard to detect.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I think I read that right after installing, before opening it, you have to go to android settings and delete the data and cache of the app. So I suggest you reinstall it. Would that make a difference?

Hello everyone!
Just got the FP3+, installed lineageOS and now looking to install a Gcam port. Been trying many of the versions linked here, but none are working stable. From what i’ve read Nikita’s 7.4 v2.0 is the way to go now, but after some use it becomes unstable and unusable.
Could someone clarify which version of these i need?
Schermafbeelding 2021-03-05 112746
Also, cant seem to find a proper configuration file. Has anyone done some work?
Thanks in advance everyone.

Since some days I’m using Nikita’s NGCam 8.1 v.1.0 and for me (FP3 with the “old” camera) it’s the most stable GCam Port so far:

4 Likes

I downloaded the newest port and for the first time it seems stable enough that I may use it as my default camera! I especially like the fact that I can (indirectly) change shutter speed and have options for dark photography.

Does anybody have any information about specific settings that we can use in the experimental mode, that is, if a particular phone model/camera is best suited to old/new hardware? Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

What and from where?

I was referring to the link in the previous message. Possibly not the latest.

1 Like

I was using F1 Mod v10.3 (linked in the firsts posts of this thread) from many months ago, but now I tried the port you link, Nikita’s NGCam 8.1 v.1.0, for a few days, and it works great for me! (I’m using the original Fairphone 3 with the original “old” camera module too).

Thanks for your advice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree. The GCam app really makes a difference, above all in low light condicions. I was really disapointed with the 3+ cam upgrade. But regarding photos, software is the unsung hero. The 8.1 version is pretty good. Processing pics takes several seconds, but It really worths a try

1 Like

Hi, I just downloaded it for testing, it takes 6 seconds to open and display what’s in front of the camera compared to original camera app which takes 2 seconds. Is it the same for you?
Anyway, quality is a lot better and taking a picture is quick enough (a bit better than the first app link on this topic)

I can Confirm a Stable working of Nikita GCam Version 2.0 7.4.104.314953318 on FP3+
Theres are Worlds to the Standard Camera App, in my opinion.
A Screenshot with concret location and to find adress.

6 Likes

No, for me it takes approx. 1-2 seconds to start.

Can you shoot videos at 60 fps ?

No, of course not, because the hardware is designed for 30fps and not for 60fps. If you try it with 60fps the app will crash. You should check your FP3+ hardware devinition first. I don’t want to do nonsensical experiments if the hardware doesn’t allow it. In addition, the software must explicitly address the device, which is not the case with Nikita GCam version 2.0 7.4.104.314953318.
Many greetings

1 Like

From the Fairphone website :

Max video resolution 4000 x 3000 (4K UHD)
4K video @ 30fps
1080p @ 120fps
720p @ 30fps

1 Like

Yes there is the option of 120fps and sadly not the more common 60fps as you my want,

The 4 x 12 MPx sensor is capable of 4 x 30fps or 30fps. There is no benefit it seems in making software to get 60fps ??

Please do yourself a favor and don’t think that you just divide a value in a digital device by two and it works. Total mistake. For every single function you have to write a seperate code.

Sorry for not being a software developer.
I’m just a phone user man, relax !

5 Likes

Forgive my likely ignorance on this subject, but dropping every odd frame should get you to 60fps quite trivially, no?
Then of course, there’s no way of telling if such logic is readily coded in any of the apps, or is there?