Phone not starting after update

Hi!
Yesterday I wanted to install the “Cherry”- update (before that I still had “Caju”), but I face the problem that I cant boot the phone
anymore. I will describe the issue as detailed as possible, hoping you
can quickly help me: when the phone had rebooted and was at installing
the cherry-update, at one point it showed no progress anymore for about
10hours(overnight). I took out the battery this morning to restart the
phone and try the update again, but since that, everytime I start the
the phone, the screen gets blue at first but then black with a small
strip of blue on top of the screen and nothing happens further.
I
tried to reboot the phone, using the recovery menu (“reboot system
now”), but the result is the same. I also treid to back up my data,
(“backup user data”): It said the the system update is being installed
in the background and showed some text about data, SD card and a backup
file, but as the the system update was half installed the phone showed
the recovery menu again. I managed to back up the data at the third try
(clicking the power button during the back up and the text concernig SD
card and backup file disappeared).
Furthermore I tried to install the update from the SD card (recovery menu)but at step 5 of these instructions : https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201654943--Resting-Android-robot-No-Command-Black-screen-on-reboot
There was no file called “fp_update_…”, instead, there were no files at all.
connecting the phone with my computer was useless too.
So far when i start the the phone, I still see the blue screen and then the black with the blue strip on top.
Looking forward to your help,
Philipp

Did you downloaded the “fp_update_…” to your sd-card before you tried to install.
I understand that your phone is from the first batch.
You need FP1 Cherry (v.1.6) Fairphone_FP1_OS_1G13G_v1_6_OTA_2014-07-31.zip (~200MB)
md5sum: ffef67f958c37ce9ddae683b9ad0b690
You can find the update file here.

1 Like

or try adb sideload if you don’t have an external sd. Did you already perform the partition update?

I did not download it to an SD-Card. There was no card in the phone at all, but I have the file on my computer. I will try to get that on my external SD-Card. thanks for your fast reply! :slight_smile:

@Elchi can you explain what adb is an how to use it?
I did not perform the partition update. As far as I know, this is only possible after succesfully updating to v. 1.6 cherry^^

I don’t know about that. I just asked because after performing the partition update, for the moment you can’t flash the provided recovery anymore (see here for details). That’s why I would reccomend not to do the partition update atm.

ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge and is a part of the Android SDK (Software Development Kit). It’s a software that provides direct communication between a pc and an Android device allowing to transfer files, access the system or run commands on the phone. It is a command line tool (but very easy to use), which was originally intended for sofware developing (esp. debugging, hence the name). One of the many functions of ADB is to flash a recovery or update.zip to the phone directly from a pc (that’s what the “apply update from ADB” option in the recovery is for). I just brougth it up in case you didn’t had a sd card.

Hi everyone,
With the help of a friend I managed to repair the phone, following the instructions at the bottom of the article, Elchi mentioned in an other discussion: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Fairphone_Fairphone/Guides#How_to_restore_Fairphone_if_you_totally_bricked_it
thanks!