Phone did not get the update

If you are willing to go the manual route again, the upgrade to Android 9 is now available here for Windows 10 and MacOS:

2 Likes

Before you expose yourself to the despair of manual updates:
Removing the additional SD card suddenly brought the updater app to offer me the update to Android 9.

I read the manual update guide referenced before and saw that it is recommended to remove the SIM and SD cards before starting the update. I did not have any SIM inserted for some months, because I was not using the phone, but the SD card was still in place in the FP2.
After removing the SD card and a reboot, the updater app immediately offered me to update to Android 9.

Of course I cannot say for sure that the SD card was the reason the update has been blocked before, it could’ve been a coincidence. Just saying it might help you :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

The Updater is offering me Android 9. It all went ahead - spent ages downloading etc, and then fell over with a reclining Android and a message about No command found. It kept re-trying to do something. I had to manualy re-install Android 7. I don’t have an SD card, but will remove the SIM card and try again…or should I wait until the end of May !!! Still haven’t had a message from anywhere telling me it’s time to upgrade. …

Not anymore …

Had another go today using the Updater App. Removed the Sim card first (no SD card present). Took three goes to download the new version - but that was probably trouble with my WiFi. Rest of the process then went smoothly - now up and running. Might be useful if the App warned folk how long things take - “Just a moment” was significantly longer than my idea of a “moment” ! Started to wonder if things had hung………

Patience prevailed - now happily running Android 9.

Fairphone 2 lives to fight another few years with any luck !

Thanks to all involved.

Robin

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.