People cannot hear me but I can hear them

Hi, suddenly people cannot hear me when I call them og someone call me. But I can hear them. What can I do?

I recommend that you run the Checkup tool for testing the microphone:

Settings > Maintenance > Checkup

Also have a look at this support article:

https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213161166-My-microphone-does-not-work-properly

If problems persist, you might also want to just disassemble the phone and clean the bottom module contacts carefully.

1 Like

thank you. How do I run the test/ find the test?

I included the path in bold letters above. If your Fairphone runs in a different language, the exact terms will differ.

my phone runs in a different language, but under settings I cannot find anything like Maintenance or Checkup…

Ah, ok! Probably you need to update your operating system. The Checkup tools were added just 1-2 months ago. Just open the Fairphone Updater app and let it do its work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks! i will do that.

You might also want to clean your screen over the proximity sensor. Occasionally I find that the proximity doesn’t kick in and my ear activates “mute”.

This problem is not easy to fix, because (imho) it is a design fault. I had the same problem, and since I’m using my FP2 for work it was not acceptable that it would mute me. Other users have this problem too and it relates to the vicinity sensor. Basically it sometimes does not turn off the display and touch sensitivity, leading to shennenigans when the users ear touches the display while having a phone conversation. There has been a patch allowing the user to adjust the sensors sensitivity, but it does not work as a solution for me becaue of the following: i hold the phone in the left hand (to free my right) and since the phone is quite big, the sensor is just flat out of the ear area. So it thinks it is in the air instead off on the ear. This is also why not everyone can reproduce the problem, they just holding the FP2 in another way.

possible solutions:
- phone with the right hand (on the right ear)
- learn to hold it less sloppy
- adjust the sensor to 1,5 cm distance
(all 3 did not really work for me)
- map the on/off key to toggle off the display and activate it manually just after starting/accepting a phone call (thats what i do)

patching it, so that the microphone does not mute when the call gets put in the backgrund could be a software stopgap solution, but only in some cases and it would just elimitant the symptoms.

On the Fairphone 3 the sensor has to be placed nearer to the ear speaker. I also would buy a replacement module with the sensor on the other side of the ear speaker if it was available.

Hope one of the solutions help, Kurt

Hi everyone When I make a call I can hear the person I’m calling but they can’t hear me, any suggestions?

I had this issue recently and reseating the bottom module which includes the microphone seemed to improve the situation and make the problem go away. There are tutorials on ifixit for how to do this.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.