Living without Google 2.0 - A Google free FP2

This Post is no longer a wiki.

The wiki moved here:

22 Likes

Any comments or hints @anon90052001 or @keesj? I am sure I would not be the only one to be super happy :smile:

If you compile it yourself, following the instructions at code.fairphone.com you should end up with a google free version as well. Unfortunately I get errors during compiling.

This is what I read on the forum - and I would also love to know how to include root during this compilation as already asked in the thread on how to create a pre-rooted system

However, I just did my moving back to Germany and did not have loads of time up to now to look into it and will go to sleep now to be able to understand all instructions and not make too many silly mistakes :wink:

I’ll wait for official tutorials on rooting and degoogling or at least until someone actually managed to do it and explains how.

3 Likes

The team is not at 100% capacity because of the holidays. So please give us a few days and we should be back super charged the first week of January to answer this one.

Happy New Year!

4 Likes

Ah,

so you are saying that what Tom sees is the OS we get, when we compile
it as described above? Somehow I did not read anything about this, so
thanks for this valuable info.

So, can I assume that the system itself is the same, only Gapps and
other apps you mentioned are missing? Will I be able to use all hardware
(like e.g. the FM radio) with this self compiled version of the OS?

@Michiel: is there really no way to flash the correct system ourselves
and do the affected people really need to send the phones back? Well, a
little bit of Linux experience might be necessary to do it. But can’t
they try? :wink:

Hello, please contact support about this issue (we need your EMEI to discover what went wrong).

Thanks for the info. I’m not sure if I understood you completely. Could you elaborate on following questions please:

• When do you believe you will be able to release that version (days/weeks/months)? (I know, a nasty question, just a rough estimation :slight_smile: )
  • What belongs to the “Fairphone specific apps” you talk about? Will Gapps and Google Services be included in the version you release or not?
    Background: I’d like to have a google free phone (e.g. get rid on the red block shown on in the diagram on code.fairphone.com), I don’t mind about Fairphone specific apps e.g. like special launcher or “Peace of mind” app
  • With what would I end up following the build instructions on code.fairphone.com? Does any google service specific stuff (the “red box”) installed by that?
    So is there a difference in following that build instructions and the version you will release?

Thanks a lot for your support and information! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Louncher, Edge Swipe, Animated Clock Widget, Contacts Widget, Apps Widget, Notifications App, Updater App, …

In the Google free version? I guess no?!

@paulakreuzer, that’s how I would have imagined as well. But please reread @keesj’s post: [quote="keesj]
On FP1 the pure AOSP release caused quite a few calls to Customer support for people “loosing” their google services. The plan is to keep the Fairphone specific apps in the build e.g. this version will not be a pure AOSP Android release
[/quote]
That’s what got me confused. If people complained that their Google stuff was missing after installing the img and Fairphone wants to prevent the complaining, they’ll include them. Right? I mean, fair enough. Just not what I personally would want. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah his post is a bit confusing. Let me clear it up.
On the FP1 there are 3 “OS lines”:

• Fairphone OS w/o Google Apps - preinstalled
  • Fairphone OS with Google Apps - by installing Google Apps through the Updater App
  • Stock Android w/o Google Apps - also installed through the Updater App

I guess Fairphone only has the license to provide Fairphone OS with Google Apps. Many people installed Stock Android by mistake, others without knowing that it’s google free.

For the FP2 it will simply be the other way around

• FP OS with GAPPS - preinstalled
  • FP OS w/o GAPPS - how? we’ll know more soon I hope
  • Stock Android - not announced yet, maybe just as a community build?
5 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @paulakreuzer, so if I got it right the list expanded to FP specific Apps would look like that:

FP1:

• Fairphone OS w/o Google Apps, with FP specific apps - preinstalled
  • Fairphone OS with Google Apps, with FP specific apps - by installing Google Apps through the Updater App
  • Stock Android w/o Google Apps, w/o FP specific apps - also installed through the Updater App

FP2:

• FP OS with GAPPS, with FP specific apps - preinstalled
  • FP OS w/o GAPPS, with FP specific apps - how? we’ll know more soon I hope (speculation by @sjjh (that’s me): following the build instructions on code.fairphone.com will give you that-- anybody here to verify/falsify?)
  • Stock Android, w/o FP specific apps - not announced yet, maybe just as a community build?
1 Like

Yes. Fairphone OS = with Fairphone specific Apps
Stock Android = without.

1 Like

Thanks for the insights.

With regards to having a google free version: Before Christmas we
released the source code, blobs and instructions that allow to build
such a google services free version on http://code.fairphone.com/2
. The next step is to release a version that can be installed by end
users. This does require us to do some additional quality assurance and
make sure nobody accidentally installs the GMS free version. On FP1 the
pure AOSP release caused quite a few calls to Customer support for
people “loosing” their google services. The plan is to keep the
Fairphone specific apps in the build e.g. this version will not be a
pure AOSP Android release (this exercise is left to the reader).

Maybe I am a bit naive but if you already released the code to compile AOSP Android, I suppose you already built such an image. Wouldn’t it be possible to provide this img-file to buyers of the FP2, so that non-dev people who would just like to get rid of GMS etc could do so until the GMS-free FP version is available?
Since it seems that compiling the code - + enabling root - is not as straight-forward even for devs judging by the entries in different threads on the forum as compiling fairphone open source and FP2 root or not root? how?, I suppose other people like me would appreciate it.

Concerning people accidentally installing the GMS-free version: Wouldn’t it be enough to call it “GMS-free (NO google services) FP OS”?

Thanks in advance and happy new year to come :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for looking into it. Of course I know it is a holiday season, I just prefer to post my questions while I think of them :wink:

Happy New Year to all of you!

I’ve tried following this post (and all posts regarding a rooted FP2) and cannot quite follow. I have only ever owned iPhones (pleeease no comments… I finally got there myself and bought a FP2) so I am new to the GAPPS and Androids systems.
As soon as FP release the root-Infos - I will have total access to my phone an can install apps w/o GAPPs. But will GAPPS still be possible - just in case I don’t figure out how to install anything w/o GAPPS? Or will the phone never ever have GAPPS again?

2 Likes

You can install apps without Google Play Store even without root:

Go to Menu > Settings > Security > and check “Unknown Sources”
to allow your phone to install apps from sources other than the Google
Play Store.

Source: Android Pit

1 Like

I just installed Kingroot and used it to root my FP2 and remove all GAPPS. No problems so far!

EDIT: Just a little time later the phone froze and I had to do a factory reset. So: Don’t try that!

If you want GAAPS, here you are: http://opengapps.org/

I prefer the “Nano” package w/o the Calendar Sync (you can taylor each package to your needs) as I rely on GCM for Threema, K9 and Signal. Hope for a reliable open source push service provider in the future to go completely Google-free… :wink: