Which headphones do work and which do not? Fairphone does not have the capacity to test headphones and is not in a position to endorse the use of brands or types of headphones. So we hope that this community can help to make a nice list of good headphones.
This is a wiki, so please edit it with the green pencil above to add your headphone and FP2 experiences.
General Advice when looking for a FP2 headset
Judging by growing list of headsets below its becoming apparent that the FP2 tends to not work with iPhone/iPad/Apple certified headset in-line cable remotes. Sound should still work fine in these but additional functions like microphone or buttons may not work at all or have very limited functions.
On the other hand headsets certified for Samsung Galaxy or Android appears to be working well for people and should be a safe bet for anyone looking to have full functionality from the remote and microphone. Just ensure the headset follows the CTIA jack standard for the FP2 or the OMTP jack standard for the FP1.
Fully functional headphone (speaker and mic)
- AKG Y40 On-ear, cable with1-button (phone calls: receive call and mute mike, video: pause)
- AKG Y20U In-ear, cable with 1-button. Mic and button work perfectly.
- Beyerdynamic 41 iE - 1 button in-line cabled remote and mic work. Button works to answer/hangup calls and play/pause music.
- Bose SoundSport In-ear Android, fully functional; volume control, pause/answer call, mic (~120€)
- Bose QuietComfort 25 fully functional: volume control, play/pause/answer call, mic (over-ear, ~280€). There’s a conflict here: this headphone is also listed below as “Confirmed to be not working”.
- Bose QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones fully functional; volume control, pause/answer call, mic (~380€)
- Genius HS-905 BT. Fully w* Logitech (formerly Ultimate Ears) TripleFi 10 Does not have remote or mic, sound works perfectly (cable, in-ear, ~200€ on ebay)
- House of Marley - Smile Jamaica - Calls, music, and remote (one button) (in-ear, ~25€)
- JBL Inspire 500 - in-ear bluetooth headset, music and remote (pause/play, volume +/-, next/previous with +/- long-press) working; calls not yet tested
- Logitech PC 860 - Does not have a remote control, but a volume control and a microphone switch (cable, on-ear, 12.98€) + Speedlink SL-8600 TRAX adapter (4.89€) = (17.87€)orking bluetooth in-ear headset.
- Parrot Zik 2.0 Bluetooth headset. Music, calls and remote control OK (~250€)
- Philips SHQ6300 (over-the-ear, trafic friendly, sport, bluetooth, ~50-60€)
- Philips SHS 8000 (in-ear, no mic no remote, ~30€)
- Plantronics M55 Bluetooth headset (PLT_M55). Speaker and mic work fine.
- Plantronics Voyager Legend Bluetooth headset. Speaker + mic work fine. App for administration also. All buttons are functional.
- Plantronics Voyager Pro+ Bluetooth headset (Plantronics Voyager Pro+). Speaker and mic work fine.
- Samsung headset provided with a Galaxy S3 mini - Calls, music, and remote (three buttons) (in-ear)
- Samsung headset provided with a Galaxy S2 (EHS44) ~7 €
- Samsung headset provides with a Galaxy S6 - Sound, mic, remote 3-buttons (in-ear)
- Sennheiser CX 2.00G - 3 Buttons: Play/Pause/Forward, Volume up, Volume down; works with music and calling, microphone is fine - around 35€ - Be sure to take the "2.00 G " Version!
- Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear G - 3 Buttons: Play/Pause/Forward, Volume work with music and calling, microphone is fine - 99€ (currently 84€ at Saturn and Mediamarkt in Germany) - Note: The “I” variant is for Apple products, you need the “G” variant for Samsung Galaxy. I agree to the comment above about the MX 686G: It seems like Samsung Galaxy certified headsets have a good chance of working with our Fairphone 2
- Sennheiser MX 686G - everything works, buttons, mic totally good. One thing to mark is that they are advertised as Samsung-compatible; that might mean that other fully Samsung-headsets work as well…
- Sennheiser OCX 686G - fully working too.
- Sennheiser PC3 CHAT On-Ear with Cable (2 audio plugs), no buttons, IMO very light weight and good sound with small adapter for the price (~20€)
- Sennheiser URBANITE On-Ear G - 3 button in-line cabled remote and mic work. Volume up/down work with music and calling, microphone is excellent. Middle button works with click-to-answer-call, click-to-mute-mic-in-call and hold-to-hangup-call. Middle button also works for play/pause in music. The “G” version is the Samsung Galaxy/Android version. The “i” version is the iPhone version and does not work fully.
- Shure SE215 (£79) with Shure CBL-M-K Google Phone Adapter (£39) In-ear, sound isolating earphones. Remote answer and end calls, remote mic, music play and pause all work OK.
- Soundmagic E10S.
- Sony MDR-XB50AP In-ear headphones. The only button pauses playback reliably, although it sometimes resumes with other apps. Incoming calls can be accepted with the button. During calls, the button mutes the microphone.
- Sony MDR-ZX600 No longer in production.
- Sony MDR-ZX660AP
- Sony MDR-ZX770BN Wireless noise-cancelling headphones. Music, microphone, volume, taking calls all work fine on Bluetooth. They can also be used with a wire (supplied), but only for music.
- Sony MH 1C Smart Headset In-ear headset. Music, microphone, three buttons for volume and taking calls/muting mic work fine. Don’t know supposed use of fourth button. Older model, around 50€
- Sony STH32 In-ear headset with working buttons for volume control and a media button to accept calls/mute mic/pause music. Costs around 30,- euro.
Urbanears Plattan ADV Calls, music and remote - OK. (cable, on-ear, 59€)
*Urbanista San Francisco - fully functional, bought in France in a SFR shop, 19 Euros only. Has a flat wire, supposed to be stronger. Maybe other designs from this brand functions as well.
- Xiaomi Mi Sports Bluetooth Headset (in-ear, bluethooth) Speaker + mic works fine. Buttons also.
- XIAOMI Piston 3 (in-ear, Volume Keys + Pause/Forward, ~20€)
- XQISIT Stereo Headset Universal Flatcable (in-ear) - Audio, mic and remote (one botton) - however sometimes the button does not react :-/
Partly functional headphone
- Apple Earpods with remote and mic Corded in-ear. Sound out is fine, Buttonclick pauses music, but mic does not work. Tried 2 sets. Worked including mic on FP1.
- AudioMX HB-8A. Sound stutters for music. Calling works. (Bluetooth, Over-ear, €65,-)
- Beyerdynamic T51i - 3 button in-line cabled remote and mic do not fully work. Volume up/down do not work. Microphone does not work at all. Middle button works with click-to-answer-call, click-to-mute-mic-in-call. Hold-to-hangup-call was not tested. Middle button also works for play/pause in music. These are iPhone certified. The included OMTP adapter does not help with the above issues.
- [Bose AE2w] (http://www.amazon.de/Bose-®-AE2w-Bluetooth-Headphones-Schwarz/dp/B00CD1FB26). Sound stutters for music. Calling works. (Bluetooth, Over-ear, €230,-)
- House of Marley - Liberate - only sound works, not remote nor microphone
- House of Marley - Uplift - only sound works, not remote nor microphone
- Palm Pre Headset. Call-Button does not work. Speaker and mic work fine. Worked with Palm Pre3, Palm Pixi Plus, Iphone4, Iphone5.
- Philips / O’Neill Construct. Sound is good, mic works, Single button remote only respond to single click function. ( Over-ear 165,-)
- Plantronics BackBeat Go 2. Sound stutters for music. Calling works. (Bluetooth, In-Ear)
- Polk Audio Ultrafit 3000 (Mic: not working, Sound: Perfect, Play/pause: Working, Next song: Working, Volume: Not working)
- [Sennheiser CX 2.00i] (http://www.fnac.com/Ecouteurs-Sennheiser-CX-2-00i-White/a7696723/w-4) (~50€) in-ear headphones (cabled) with remote: headphones and play/pause button work, but mic doesn’t work, and after unplugging, fairphone mic still doesn’t work (very inconvenient, probably a bug). Volume buttons don’t work at all.
- Sennheiser Momentum En-Ear Samba headphones (cabled), headphones work only (170 £), blocking for mic.
- Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear i - 3 button in-line cabled remote and mic does not fully work. Volume up/down does not work. Microphone does not work at all. Middle button works with click-to-answer-call, click-to-mute-mic-in-call. Hold-to-hangup-call was not tested. Middle button also works for play/pause in music. This is the “i” version for iPhone. The “G” version for Samsung Galaxy/Android should work fully. Additionally the cable for these headphones is removable and you can buy the Samsung Galaxy/Android compatible cable and replace the iPhone one. Look for the RCG M2 cable.
- Shure SE215 (£79) with Shure CBL-M±K iPhone Adapter (£39) In-ear, sound isolating earphones. Music play and pause all work OK. Remote volume up/down buttons do not work. Remote mic does not work either.
- Sony MDR-1RBT. Sound stutters for music. Calling works. (Bluetooth, Over-ear, €250,-)
- [Urbanista Rio] (https://www.urbanista.com/index.php?productdetail=18541) Corded, In-Ear. Sport earphones with GoFit silicone wings.Button remote not working as intended. Sound fine, but 3xclick for previous song not working. Mic works but 1xclick answer/mute. Hold button to hang up.
- 1More Triple Driver Corded, In-Ear, £80. Sound works, but buttons and mic don’t seem to. “Compatible with iOS and Android phones that follow the CTIA standard” (according to the user manual).
Confirmed to be not working with FP2
- Bose QuietComfort 25 MIC is not ok and is blocked (Apple cable?). (over-ear, ~280€). There’s a conflict here: this headphone is also listed above as “Fully functional”.
- Nokia WH-102 HS-125. Sound is only OK if CALL-button is pressed, Mic is NOT working during CALL-button is pressed. Call-button does not work as intended. Works perfect with FP1 (corded, simple in-ear, 1 call-button + mic, <10€), see problem details here
- No-name headset (“B7 ZTE Blade original”). Sound is only OK if CALL-button is pressed, Mic is NOT working during CALL-button is pressed. Call-button does not work as intended. Works perfect with FP1 (corded, simple in-ear, 1 call-button + mic, <10€), see problem details here
- Röde Smartlav+ Lavalier microphone (corded) €50, mic not working http://www.rode.com/microphones/smartlav-plus
- Sennheiser Momentum En-Ear Samba headphones (cabled), headphones work only (170 £), blocking for mic. Worked perfectly on FP1, incl. mic.
- Jabra BIZ 2400 II, neither mic nor headphone, also not with different CTIA-OMTP-adapters (https://www.amazon.de/s/url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ctia+adapter)
Please add your headphones with model, type (On-Ear, In-Ear, Over-Ear, Bluetooth or Corded) and price range and, if available, if the remote buttons are working properly.
Helpful links regarding problems with headsets and headphones:
Missing information about headsets
until 26.01.2016, thanks to @dull
There are two standards in using the 4-pins of a headset with mic (and remote).
###Obviously the FP1 uses another standard than FP2, which makes headsets non-interchangeable.
Here you can find the explanation about the different types and with a simple measurement you can check what (wired) headset you have:
Working hypothesis, waiting for an official statement:
FP1 uses OMTP (ground=1)
Official statement (01. Feb 2016):
FP2 uses AHJ=CTIA (ground=2)
A possibility is to use an adapter, e.g. this.
Drawbacks: more china-stuff has to be bought, remote buttons could stop working, price (in my case again the same money as the headset did cost)