✏ FP2 - Reviews/Previews of the phone

To that and your later comments: I think it is the same as I mentionend before for the stern article: It depends on the goal of the journalist. If one wants to inform he will do what you write. If he wants to produce a certain opinion or feeling he will of course not but use manipulative tricks (and in this case very cheap ones). So what happens here? Instead to want to read more about FP the naive reader has a feeling about the FP as the ugly duckling, closes the window, opens the Samsung page and that’s it. Bad journalism is no mistake or randomly bad, it is made on purpose. And yes, I am this paranoid :wink:

There were a few phones going around from magazine to magazine. In some articles they mention that.

The magazines got a prototype. Golem.de shortly mentions that here. Since the chip article is only published a week later I think it might be still a prototype.

Well same answer as for my first quote: They don’t want to get it. What better way than to promote Samsung?

Yeah a friend of mine got it and he said it’s totally weird because you touch something all the time by holding the phone … he regretted not to get the “normal” version.

I think many people care (not most, I guess …).
But think about this: If you have 20 articles about a product in well known magazines (unfortunately chip and stern are well known in germany, at least I would think so), from which 5 are very short with almost no information, 5 are longer but badly written like the chip article, 9 may be long and informative but still concentrate on the performance, and 1 really goes into the background and compare quality, supply chain etc. - then it already takes some effort to get the information about you impact as consumer. And if that is the case for let’s say FP, but also for cars, computers, the washing machine and so on then it really is a huge effort for each buyers decision.
I think this effort is what most people avoid, consciously or inconsiously.
I think media could change a lot in consumer behavior if they wanted to (not talking about ads here).

2 Likes

Kinderarbeit fuer Smartphone-Akkus | Child labor for smartphone battery

must have read

muss gelesen haben

We should just start collecting all the info here for the main brands, the cheap china ones and the FP, so lazy journalists (if this is really the problem) can look them up, including the sources.

2 Likes

That’s really paranoid :smile:. I think chip might not provide the best quality content, but that does not necessarily mean they do it on purpose. They have their reasons for that rating and some of them are valid points.

I never denied that and this is not at all contradicting my point :wink:

Personal review from france with a nice animated gif!

http://www.extrapaul.be/agir/we-are-fairphone/

4 Likes

I think he is Belgian but nice anyway :wink:

2 Likes

you’re right… :blush:

Not exactly a review, but a short documentary with an interview of Bas Van Abel, FP designer
on French/German ARTE channel magazine ‘FutureMag’.

Has French audio and English subtitles. As it’s ARTE, I guess you can also easily find German audio.

You can watch it online till March 14 :

http://www.arte.tv/guide/en/060180-014-A/futuremag

FutureMag | Fairphone and the End of Glasses
1,104 views - 31 min
Available from January 8, 2016 at 07:00 pm to March 14, 2016 at 11:59 pm

This week in Futuremag: Focus on Fairphone, fair and environmentally smartphone developed by a young Dutch company, whose second prototype is invading Europe. And the discovery of an innovative application that would allow glasses wearers to ditch their frames.

Programme information
Country: France / Year: 2015 / Director: David Paturel, Perrine Brami

1 Like

:flag_de: Auch nicht wirklich ein Review, aber meiner Meinung nach ganz nützlich und interessant:

Fairphone 2: Tipps & Tricks auf news.utopia.de.

1 Like

Dass man Screenshots nicht in der Fotos-App sehen würde, stimmt allerdings nicht.

1 Like

Here is a Fairphone 2 review in german (the only one I found on YouTube which is longer than 5 min):

1 Like

Hi all,

First of all, I’d like to thank you for your interest in media coverage of Fairphone and sharing your opinions about it!

We want to increase our capacity to gain even more high quality exposure in different countries. We are now looking for a long-term partnership with a PR-agency in Germany to increase brand awareness in the region. Any tips? :wink:

1 Like

This is an open forum so I hope it’s okay to comment on your comment, even without really answering your question. :slight_smile:

I assume money and resources might be a bit tight right now, so what I write here is maybe not economically feasible, but this is just how I feel about it. I know that PR works, this is why companies still spend so much money on it. But still, I feel that I have to write this.

“Brand” awareness

Just give the users more access to the phones specs and some company details, so that they can write really good Wikipedia entries. One for the company and its goals, the other one for the FP1 and the FP2 with their pros and cons. So people can look it up.

Make a new camera module. Magazines and people will love it. (I know expensive … but modules are the killer feature of the phone … and the module is just the sensor and its connector anyway.).

PR “companies”

Is more PR really necessary? It’s wasting money. Fair projects and PR do not really work together well. Have a look at the Projektwerkstatt GmbH/Tea Campaign.

“Finally, “campaign” refers to what our customers do: educate themselves, consume wisely, and spread the word! Our company has grown by word of mouth, not by traditional marketing methods. The money we save lowers the price for our customers. Help us to keep our prices low!”

Or let the retailers in the country pay for adverts.

You have users and the users have friends … if they like the product, they will tell their friends.

What needs to get PR’ed, anyway?

The only part that needs “PR”-like convincing is the price. But everyone by now should know why the phone is more pricey. So this leaves the battery and the camera. Everyone can buy a usb-based battery extension pack these days. And the camera is modular.

So … I would suggest: As PR … create a camera module with a really good sensor (Sony). The phone, if stable and with continuously provided updates, should sell well, magazines will pickup the Fairphone story again.

What users want without PR

• A normal good phone costs between 300-400 EUR. All extra is the “FairFactor” don’t make it too huge, nobody needs “fair” 600-700+ EUR “flagship” phones
  • Android has an update problem. This is why people buy Apple or Nexus. Make sure your targets know it’s not a problem with the Fairphone.
  • Everybody wants a good camera
  • A fair phone … with prove (like a full parts list pointing out the fairly processed T3G materials)
10 Likes

Review-Video von der Lifestyle-Bloggerin DariaDaria:

2 Likes

At least that part worked. :pensive:

2 Likes

Just found this article:

2 Likes

Here is the german version of the Arte docu:

2 Likes

I added it the Futuremag documentary to the Community event materials.

Continue here: