FP 2/3/... Modules & Wishlist meta discussion

This wiki has moved here

15 Likes

A larger Backside + bigger Battery would be great!

4 Likes

What exactly do you mean with bigger backside?

I’ll add stronger battery to the list. I don’t think you can replace modules in a modular phone with bigger modules.

2 Likes

A stronger Battery could be larger in its dimensions, so it would extend from the Backside and the original Backcover won’t fit. This leads to a larger backside-cover :wink:

Oooh.
So you want a phone with a hump? :smiley:

2 Likes

Or a huge battery with a hump :smiley:

1 Like

I remember such batteries for older HTC and Samsungs :slight_smile: They came with a new back cover and were very popular…

4 Likes

I had to research for a picture because I couldn’t really imagine how this would look.

Here it is:

3 Likes

This one should be obvious: Future updates to the modules with (then) current components (i.e. better camera, faster processor, more RAM, etc.)

5 Likes

You are right, that’s probably obvious, but thanks for pointing it out.

I also added E-reader display and solar panel for power saving purposes.

2 Likes

Maybe a back with a built in flip-cover.

3 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: E-ink/e-reader dual/alternative screen (from modules wishlist)

Would an infrared emitter/sensor back cover be possible? You could use your phone for TVs, sound systems and other stuff :smiley:

4 Likes

It could be nice if there are an alternative mainboard (the central part of the phone) with a totally open chipset. I am sure that this kind of chipset could be lesser powerful if compared to a closed one, but I think that it could be very interesting for a lot of (advanced) users.

2 Likes

@deedend Are you talking about open hardware or about hardware that supports open/free software?
In the first case do you know of a open hardware chipset? In the second case: We don’t know yet how open/closed the source code for the FP2 will be. There is a chance that we will be able to install all kinds of FOSS operating systems on the FP2, so let’s wait until we know more.

@huskers Sorry I meant to answer you sooner: Are you talking about a remote-control with real keys on the back cover? Wouldn’t it be better/easier to simply add a infrared sensor and make an app that can be used as a remote control?

2 Likes

That’s what I meant. Didn’t think about the exact meaning of the English ‘remote control’ when I wrote that post :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“paulakreuzer, post:24, topic:6846, full:true”]
@deedend Are you talking about open hardware or about hardware that supports open/free software?
In the first case do you know of a open hardware chipset? In the second case: We don’t know yet how open/closed the source code for the FP2 will be. There is a chance that we will be able to install all kinds of FOSS operating systems on the FP2, so let’s wait until we know more.[/quote]

I refer at this answer of Paul Kocialkowski at an user that ask him if there will be a Replicant version for Fairphone; the alternatives could be i.MX6, OMAP4/5 or Allwinner.

2 Likes

I also would appreciate if there will be a fairphone variant with a hardware keyboard (like a integrated slider) in future. It’s much more convenient than a external bluetooth keyboard (or any other wireless connectivity). Especially on travel it’s essential.

5 Likes

I have the feeling that we don’t nearly exploit the full creative potential that the modularity and expandability of Fairphone 2 offer.

Don’t get me wrong: I like the wishlist above and see many sensible wishes. However I deem all of them standard or even boring. Are we not able to come with more creative stuff? :wink:

4 Likes

Like what? A kitchen machine module? A lightsaber module? A teleportation module?

4 Likes