FP 2/3/... Modules & Wishlist meta discussion

theremin?

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: TV / DVB-T on the Fairphone?

Added the new modules by @dvl.
Many thanks for creating those!

I personally would be interested in incorporating the new gesture-based radar technology Google has unveiled - especially since the radar device they demonstrated is so tiny. Possibly it could be built into the expansion port?

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: How should consumption be? / Do Fairphone 2 expansions need to be fair?

As I already replied in Fairphone 2 hardware extensions, I would like to see a possibility to turn the FP2 into a tablet or laptop by sliding it INTO that other device. Similar to Always Innovating’s Smart Book.

1 Like

That would be…interesting?..but I feel like it would have to be more of a custom job you commissioned from someone than a mass release. It’s an idea that works better with the Ara ecosystem of modules, where they can be easily slid out of the casing and into something else, rather than the FP modules, which require careful unscrewing.

The smartphone generation of the future is in eyes like mine thin, holografic instead of really large, flexible, is obviosly able to be used as wallet by the backcover or is really transperent when it´s not blending colors on its screen, is waterproof, is floating over its charging station, is more individual in design and options, promise a exact delivery date before purchasing, …

The next Fairphone ´ll produced about 2019.
The time don´t stop and just seeming to become slower if you speed up. In the moment in which the time overtake you you are lost.

I´m hopping some of that ideas ´ll influence the next generation. :relaxed:

Hello to all

I was going to suggest an usb-host port addon, but it seems that an usb-c could be used to plug a regular USB device, is this right ? And would it also be able to provide some power ?

That would be cool, and will move many possibilities to the driver & software development side : external drive, external sound card, game or midi controller …

About the infrared control idea, it reminds me of the ancient PDAs like palm and pocket PC who had this function built-in ! Nowadays, many TVs can be controlled via wifi, but controlling older devices is more in the sustainable spirit :smile: .
Easier than a specifically built in-phone transceiver, I might suggest using a bluetooth-to-IR device. Google “irdroid” for example.

I always thought all Android phones can use USB peripherals on the micro USB port. At least my very first smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S) from 2010 was capable of that. Is that not the case for Fairphone? All you need(ed back then) is an adapter from micro USB to USB-A.

Edit: The adapter is called USB OTG (on-the-go). Apparently not all phones are compatible. Here is an incomplete list of compatible devices. Stackoverflow has instructions on how to test whether it works and how to get it working.

1 Like

You are right, for OTG you need

• capable hardware (phone)
  • a special OTG cable
  • external power.
  • the needed kernel modules. IE, mass storage driver, HID driver, etc… which are usually absent from stock ROMs.

So it requires a bit of hacking, but technically possible.
You can run ‘USB host diagnostics’ from play store to check your phone capabilities. I’ll try this when I get my FP2 :slight_smile:

edit : sorry i didn’t see your edit and the links you posted. they say pretty much the same, sorry for the repeat

1 Like

Hi people

I’m not sure, but I think that probably many will want the FP only with a good rear camera - it is useful for many, including many activists, and although that’s not the major point of this phone, it makes it much more attractive, given the high price

Is there any optional module like that? even if not from FP shop itself

Thanks!

1 Like

This is an user forum. Search the forum and you will find hints that it could be possible to do so. But keep in mind: The FP company needs money and selling modules is a good way to do so. So if too many people update their phones like that, it will hurt the project in the long run. Just wait a tiny bit longer for an update, I’m sure there will be one some day.

2 Likes

Oh, but what about a module from the company itself? I didn’t mean to go behind or something - I’m just thinking this is a serious selling point and also I’m not sure that such a module should be that expensive

I think (I’m just a FP1 user) that there will be an upgrade module soon. But look, the phone just came out, so just give them some time, most of the FP2s are not even shipped yet. :wink: For everything else, just have a look at the forum, the FP2 specs, the pictures of the inside of the modules and at the code released for the FP2 and you can see that there is room for such an upgrade … as one can expect from a phone with modules :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know, I just feel bad as it is for buying all the consumer stuff I do. Currently I have some chinese $80 smartphone, so a $500-$600 phone is not a thing I’d usually do, and if I’m going for this phone, at least I want a nice camera or an option for such a thing

Thanks!

2 Likes

Currently there is no such option (reviews and users say the camera is usable but does not compare to cameras in high end smartphones like an iPhone). If this is important to you, you should probably hold back and not buy a Fairphone yet. I personally doubt that Fairphone will offer upgrade modules in the short term. But I’m just guessing.

3 Likes

Yeah I also have the feeling they are really busy atm with things further above on their todo list. Also I never heard them say they plan to make updated modules themselves at all…

2 Likes

For the people looking for NFC: in the Netherlands some providers are already handing out new SIM cards with an NFC chip on it for wireless payment and public transport. So that would eliminate the need to put NFC on the FP2 itself.

For the new modules: think FP would do wise, in my opinion, first to enter the US & Canadian market and see if they can double the amount of FP2’s sold. That will free up more money to invest in future developments on the technical side and on getting the production and minerals for the phones even more fair.

On the technical side: I hope the FP2 design is future proof enough for an updated version with better camera’s, better processor, USB 3.1 etc but that those modules are still compatible with the first version of the FP2. Than users can decide if they want an update (i.e. a better camera) or just stick to their existing FP2. And when something brakes they can replace it with an upgraded part. Advantage for FP: they can reuse the design and save development costs and the consumer will be re-assured that spare parts will be available much longer. And users send the replaced parts back to FP so they can be in stock for repairs or recycled when broken.

1 Like
  1. Doesn’t FP want to say something clear about it?

2. Also, about entering the CA/US market - I’m pretty sure that for $600 you’d need some nice things like a little better camera that you can find in a $200 smartphone today (Moto G 3rd gen / others)