FP 2/3/... Modules & Wishlist meta discussion

Yeah, let’s build a dump phone inside the Fairphone! :wink: On a more serious note: I very much like your idea. I could imagine two ways (without knowing anything about feasibility):

1. Make the Fairphone recovery capable of dual-boot, and have a second minimalistic OS only for emergency calls or (in case of a soft bricked phone) for calling your technician of trust.
  2. Make a back cover with alphanumeric hard buttons, so you don’t need a (proper) display to do calls. Remember that the LCD consumes the most energy!
1 Like

Here it really looks like there’s no need for my ‘over-cover’ idea :

Adding this to the thread, and linking to the separate thread where I ask about it…

MHL. Probably not possible from what I can see of the connectors, but it would be good to know one way or the other.

MHL is little more than a party trick on Android. But if/when Ubuntu Touch comes to the Fairphone, it promises to turn your phone + mouse/monitor/keyboard into a proper computer.

So I’ll put it down under “less realistic” right?

PS: Someone should probably go through the other suggestions and evaluate which are more and which are less realistic…

1 Like

An upgraded camera module, I’m happy to accept a phone with a smaller screen, slower processor etc than other phones for the same price but it would be very good to have a camera similar to a Nexus 6p or other high end phone

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Fairphone 3 – Hardware discussion

PS: Someone should probably go through the other suggestions and evaluate which are more and which are less realistic…

stronger battery (even if it means a phone with a hump)
Sure

NFC/Wireless charging
Sure

Keyboard
I know a guy

alternative E-reader display
Sure, but complex and thus expensive. Dont count on it.

Solar Panel on the backside and/or integrated in the screen
Sure, will charge ~2% per hour, you decide whether this is enough. (in screen: no.)

programmable remote control
Sure, rx&tx

emergency button for elderly people
Sure, but not improvement from current systems

additional sensors: barometer, temperature, sonar, radiation
Sure

black-light (UV)
Sure

a waterproof built-in case/back with a built in flip-cover
Maybe from company that does this on regular basis

Charger for a spare battery.
Sure

Alternative hardware components that allow software freedom. E.g. a
i.MX6, OMAP4/5 or Allwinner chipset to allow the installation of Replicant

Very very complex.

hardware switches for phone service, camera & microphone2
Will need replacements on modules, so phone service no, camera maybe, mic yes

built in projector
No current pico projector parts available for reasonable price, so not now

MHL/USBC
USB-C port, sure. Functionality of both will depend on what is available on that connector

Hope this helps

3 Likes

Great idea. Thanks for taking up the job.

I’m skeptical about a third-party cover being able to make a phone waterproof. Any cover would probably need to keep at least the USB connector open. It’s gonna be very hard to make the phone waterproof since this part is not waterproof already.

1 Like

Last time I checked, at least all the newer external small solar panels (backpack-size) nowadays even come with regulated USB ports and sometimes even with a small powerbank. Maybe more efficient in the long run anyway.

Last time I checked, at least all the newer external small
solar panels (backpack-size) nowadays even come with regulated USB ports
and sometimes even with a small powerbank. Maybe more efficient in the
long run anyway.

Exactly, so developing and making a barely usable one for the phone is pointless and goes against all logic.

4 Likes

Yes, thanks. I updated the list.

@dvl you missed the extensible in my quote. It was an idea by @QuentinT:

But I agree, it’s not realistically a better solution than a separate device at least not with current solar panels, so I put under “less realistic”.

Right @paulakreuzer. I’m thinking about a module like that :

So you can use it as solar pannels & as cover. But I dont know how heavy, powerfull and big this would be.

The question the I have: Is it really useful to have the panel and the phone in one place? You always want the panel as much in the sun as possible (on the ground, on a pole, on your backpack/rucksack). The phone is much easier to use in the shades and in front of your face, even while charging.

But maybe I misunderstand something … you want to use the solar panel as a ‘protector case’ at the same time, right? Good, as long as it detachable, I guess.

I think the problem of 2 separate devices is the setup. It’s so easy to just put your phone on the table, on your bike or so. Setting up the phone and the solar panel is longer. Still, I don’t think the surface is big enough to power your phone…

Perhaps the Waka Waka Base 5 is something you are thinking of:

• 5,000mAh batterij, fully charged after 4- 8 uur sunlight
  • Average smartphone charge: 2 x of 200 %
  • 2 LED lights, maximum brightness: 40 lumen
  • Super efficient 7.5 Watt solarpanel
  • Proprietary Intivation SunBoost chip
  • 100% recycled PC-ABS, high impact resistant

Disclaimer: I am just loving the idea of WakaWaka but I am not involved in the company.

1 Like

It would be interesting if you had an alternate e-reader front screen - since the screen is so easy to remove you could clip the one out and slide the other in for long journeys, and set it to “Reading Mode” so it behaves mostly like a kindle.

4 Likes

It would be interesting if you had an alternate e-reader front screen

Loving this idea. Will totally depend on the amount and details of the documentation FP will provide. Also, it will not be cheap.

But very very cool idea!

It’s already on the list. :smile:

Niiiiice. Hopefully those folk at Yotaphone won’t be sending anyone around to do a few kneecappings…

Very good initiative. Just one thing where I don’t see a good fit with your categorization:

There are “lower spec” hardware components already supported by Replicant, like the ones with the Samsung Exynos Boards. So by providing an alternative board with such chipset both goals could be satisifed (though I doubt it will be easy to manufacture them since they are pretty much outdated).