FP 2/3/... Modules & Wishlist meta discussion

Many have asked - only one has delivered so far:

1 Like

I don’t understand. Do you mean that they are working on it and delivered only one cover to someone who asked ? Those pictures are showing something about 3D printing. Is that a partner of FairPhone ?

No I meant many have asked the same question as you. Only one person did something about it.

1 Like

And how about the FairPhone company ? Is there something in their plan if so many people asked already ?

Only they can give you an answer to that question.

https://www.fairphone.com/en/about/contact-us/

Thanks. Just contacted them and already got a reply !

12 Likes

In another thread a bottom module for FP2 with USB-C was asked for, and it’s included above in the wish list. Now that the new camera modules are shipping - is this the next step?

I’m quite fond of the new USB cable standard and even though it won’t change anything but the physical layout I’d like the next bottom module I replace the current one with after it’s worn out to have USB-C.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

A few new PCBs I´m currently working on :slight_smile:
They will be used as addons for the DIY-shield and add different possibilities to your FP2. :slight_smile:

#1: Adds a microphone (easier to use than the internal) and a few Neopixels to visualize sound:

#2: Adds an OLED which could be used for example to display the number of messages or calls or whatever

#3: Adds a charlieplexed LED matrix with 15 x 7 LEDs

what do you thing ?
any ideas for addon-boards or complete extension boards?

8 Likes

You love your Fairphone? Me too!!

Show your LOVE :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Speaking of USB ports: for the next model, I really would like the headphone jack and the USB port to be on the same side.

Using headphones while also charging the phone with a battery pack makes it almost impossible to carry the phone in my coat pocket, not to mention inherently hardware damaging.

3 Likes
  • three SIM based
  • One SIM is cryto-proceted
  • Firefox-OS based
  • Taking Firefox-OS in dev. for future mobile devices

All the BEST!

Bruno Ballack

1 Like

Push NFC for enable using AndroidBeam for fast sharing data with friends^^lg

maybe this is already solved for the actual fp2 models - but it would be great if the sim slots could easily be repaired/exchanged. in the first fp2 models this seems not to be possible, if one of the two slots gets broken.

1 Like

SIM slots still can’t be easily exchanged, but the new ones also can’t be broken. At least so far it’s unheard of. See:

1 Like

My wish would be an optional (!) metal casing with a (spring loaded) battery compartment latch like Samsungs Wave II had it, so you can accesss the battery and/or SIM and memory slot daily. Since the Wave II was a midrange phone, this should not be too expensive, but I think it should anyhow be just optional.

Also, some people might like a fullblown ruggedized outdoor style back useful. Also as an option. That could be prettier than a third-party “bumper”.

Also, wireless charging may be useful for some, could also be optional and implemented in a back cover…

As for sensors, temperature would be an idea.

For navigation, Galileo, Glonass and Beidou support for increased precsion and/or coverage (I know, that could be expensive. More a dream than a wish).

Just to mention … GLONASS is supported already.

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/203478389-What-are-the-technical-specifications-of-the-Fairphone-2-

4 Likes

Thanks!
I didn’t know that. But a European phone should IMHO support European navigation :slight_smile:

Oh, I forgot something from my list: Power Delivery support, but that should come included with USB 3/type C that someone else already put on the list…

1 Like

I agree. According to the wiki
As FP2 was launched in 2015 and designed before 2015 the system was not complete enough for operation hence the support neglected:

Galileo started offering Early Operational Capability (EOC) on 15 December 2016[1], providing initial services with a weak signal, and is expected to reach Full Operational Capability (FOC) in 2019

I assume if there is an upgrade coming of the SoC most but not all SD801 successors meanwhile support Galileo. But again it will be a matter of which available chip capabilities will be utilized by a new FP design.
SD801 could support Beidou, but FP2 does not utilize this feature.

We have to wait and see.

1 Like

I would guess that Galileo does not change their modulation and other RF stuff for years, so I think all that would be needed is new firmware for the SDR (software defined radio ) stuff or for the signal processor. I can’t be all hardware :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, partially I agree. Not all but parts of the GPS signal processing is done directly in the SoC. If there is no hardware implemented or missing software (driver) support (from Qualcomm) for Galileo in the SD801 I guess there’s nothing that could be done by FP. :-/

1 Like