FP 2/3/... Modules & Wishlist meta discussion

I remember such batteries for older HTC and Samsungs :slight_smile: They came with a new back cover and were very popularā€¦

4 Likes

I had to research for a picture because I couldnā€™t really imagine how this would look.

Here it is:

3 Likes

This one should be obvious: Future updates to the modules with (then) current components (i.e. better camera, faster processor, more RAM, etc.)

5 Likes

You are right, thatā€™s probably obvious, but thanks for pointing it out.

I also added E-reader display and solar panel for power saving purposes.

2 Likes

Maybe a back with a built in flip-cover.

3 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: E-ink/e-reader dual/alternative screen (from modules wishlist)

Would an infrared emitter/sensor back cover be possible? You could use your phone for TVs, sound systems and other stuff :smiley:

4 Likes

It could be nice if there are an alternative mainboard (the central part of the phone) with a totally open chipset. I am sure that this kind of chipset could be lesser powerful if compared to a closed one, but I think that it could be very interesting for a lot of (advanced) users.

2 Likes

@deedend Are you talking about open hardware or about hardware that supports open/free software?
In the first case do you know of a open hardware chipset? In the second case: We donā€™t know yet how open/closed the source code for the FP2 will be. There is a chance that we will be able to install all kinds of FOSS operating systems on the FP2, so letā€™s wait until we know more.

@huskers Sorry I meant to answer you sooner: Are you talking about a remote-control with real keys on the back cover? Wouldnā€™t it be better/easier to simply add a infrared sensor and make an app that can be used as a remote control?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I meant. Didnā€™t think about the exact meaning of the English ā€˜remote controlā€™ when I wrote that post :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=ā€œpaulakreuzer, post:24, topic:6846, full:trueā€]
@deedend Are you talking about open hardware or about hardware that supports open/free software?
In the first case do you know of a open hardware chipset? In the second case: We donā€™t know yet how open/closed the source code for the FP2 will be. There is a chance that we will be able to install all kinds of FOSS operating systems on the FP2, so letā€™s wait until we know more.[/quote]

I refer at this answer of Paul Kocialkowski at an user that ask him if there will be a Replicant version for Fairphone; the alternatives could be i.MX6, OMAP4/5 or Allwinner.

2 Likes

I also would appreciate if there will be a fairphone variant with a hardware keyboard (like a integrated slider) in future. Itā€™s much more convenient than a external bluetooth keyboard (or any other wireless connectivity). Especially on travel itā€™s essential.

5 Likes

I have the feeling that we donā€™t nearly exploit the full creative potential that the modularity and expandability of Fairphone 2 offer.

Donā€™t get me wrong: I like the wishlist above and see many sensible wishes. However I deem all of them standard or even boring. Are we not able to come with more creative stuff? :wink:

4 Likes

Like what? A kitchen machine module? A lightsaber module? A teleportation module?

4 Likes

4 Likes

If I knew, I would suggest something awesome and not whine.

This seems like a very good start. Maybe a little impractical though :wink:

1 Like

Pretty easy for me.

Module list

• A connector that can be easily exchanged (ā€œUSB-C moduleā€)
  • A camera, the only thing with a blob from f#@!!#ing Sony, but they work well. I think this is the only thing with a blob really needed on a smartphone due to patents.
  • If needed (I wonā€™t) a new chip from the SDxxx range, but I donā€™t think that is necessary.

Done.

2 Likes

@Paulkreuzer: You seem to have investigated a lot about this: What IS the Status of the exchangability of the FP2 components? When in 2018 a 20MP camera is standard, might it be possible that one can be bought? More important: might the mainboard&processor be exchangeable for a newer one (I accept that it would have to be one from FAIRPHONE)? IMO this is the most important reason why people abandon their old smartphone.

Actually I donā€™t know anything more than what information the Fairphone team released on the blog. All of this here is just speculation and wishing. But I guess in theory a better camera and an upgraded mainboard is possible and probably something Fairphone are planning, but weā€™ll only know for certain when they announce something.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not Paul, but currently the Fairphone project uses Qualcomm SoCs (ā€œSnapdragonā€). These SoCs are a bit open and they allow upgrades (801 ā€¦ 820) with new base boards.

There are certain kinds of bus systems (standardized by the big companies) connecting the different (few) parts of smartphone hardware (display, wifi, cameras). The most hurtful thing is the so called ā€œblobā€ firmware/software needed to make the different parts of the cellphone work together.

Most often those are not updated for new APIs (in Android) once new hardware is manufactured and needs to be sold. Although a lot of code is open ā€¦ it ages (linux kernel and android are not syncā€™ed up for the SoC) and other parts that are not open are also not updated. So ā€¦ although the hardware could run more up to date software ā€¦ it is turned to e-waste because the supply chain (SoC, camera, ā€¦) does not support the the upgrade for newer code any longer and (and this is the worst part) also does not allow others to code for their hardware.

Iā€™m sure fairphone developers could write more about this issues, but I never read much about this, only hints.

I have high hopes that the fairphone project will fix a few of these issues. But I donā€™t think they have enough manpower for this. They right now only focus on getting ā€œbetterā€ materials (fair source materials, better safety&health and payment for the workers) not so much on the software/hardware side.

But right now ā€¦ nothing new was announced. But it was promised that after this weekend we will know more about how open the software will be (see the blog). So keep checking the website!

1 Like