FP 2/3/... Modules & Wishlist meta discussion

I’m not really a friend of those. They need a really tight integration with the system to be “secure” (“Secure Enclave”). Also they are not safe to begin with. They only lower the barrier for spending more money by having some kind of fake security. But I know that there are people that see this different. This is just my opinion. And if it’s possible to buy a module for it … why not?

Yubico with the external FP2 port was a pretty neat idea. A token you can even change if you need to. Your fingerprints identify you forever and you leave them everywhere … including on your phone.

Update: Thanks for liking opposing views. I really appropriate that! Just for the record: I really do think that fingerprint sensors make things easier. I’m just not sure if that is always a good idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is there anything going on regarding improving battery life ?

lot of new smartphones offers over 3000mAh battery on a 7 to 8mm thickness, it seems that battery technology as improved.
and some others, reach about 2 days usage just by optimization (samsung A5).

I think it could also be a keypoint for FP to achieve high energy efficiency :innocent:

1 Like

I think with a build in battery you can “fill” much more space … “the phone” is the battery casing in this case.

But on the other hand I also think that a stronger battery with more or less same size would be possible. But keep in mind, each user replaceable battery would come with a more stable casing. I wish FP had just copied the dimensions of a more popular smartphone battery. I don’t mind carrying an extra battery with me that I’m also able to buy mostly everywhere. I would have copied a Samsung (2600-3200mAh) one. You can get batteries for a Galaxy mostly everywhere.

But that’s just me and maybe Samsung could have sued FP, who knows?

2 Likes

This can be also reached by a software update, for example, Android 6 M brings “Doze”.

2 Likes

First, the autonomy of the fp2 has to be improved. I think it’s its main wreak point. As soon as it might be reasonable, let’s use a new generation of battery. If not, then it might be good to give two options for the buyers : normal limited battery, or thicker one with a special cover, as proposed before.

An other nice extra accessory would be a waterproof protection box which stands 5 bar pressure, linked to the camera button which allows divers to make underwater photos and videos, like with a gopro.

For the next fairphone, I think a 100% modular cell phone like this would be really great ! Customizable according to the need of everyone !

Ehm, am a dreaming too deeply ? If so, just let me know :wink:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: FP (Open) OS Feature Requests - vote for your favorites

I would also like to have a better rear camera!
My last smartphone was an iPhone 5S and it’s camera was very good.
The FP2 has a very bad camera compared with current smartphones.

A solar screen would be also very nice but there are already solar modules to load devices over USB.

1 Like

i think it:
when you buy your fairphone you can select all your part (like what processor , how many ram, how many storage , camera ecc.).
and a solar pannel cover that can charge your phone with solar!

so when you recive your phone you have to make them.
i don t want to buy my fairphone already assembled!

I like the Idea.
Here a thread about this issue:

1 Like

Is there any chance for a hardware qwerty for FP2? I’m so yearning for something reasonable with a hardware keyboard, in vain. Virtually nothing in the last two or three years.

1 Like

A amoled screen for the FP2 will be so great (the main advantage is about power consumption)!

5 Likes

The problem is that hardware keyboards need a lot of space that is taken from the screen. A friend of mine has a Blackberry and is now quite unhappy about having a huge phone with a tiny screen. Maybe a bluetooth or USB-OTG keyboard could do the trick for you. I’m quite sure that there are small devices, made explicitely for smartphones…

Of course, a solid hardware keyboard constrains the screen estate. It’s why the Samsung Galaxy S6 keyboard cover is not a real alternative.

But I’m talking about a slide-out keyboard. A slide-out keyboard is a charm! Doesn’t take much space, doesn’t have such small keys. It’s there whenever needed.

2 Likes

I would prefer

• a larger battery and a customized back cover to retain it. I gladly would accept ugliness to any extend :wink:, but I’d also like a translucent cover to show the cause oft the added bulkiness.
  • a camera module with higher resolution and a good enough lens, though I’m confident with the current one. I think it is sharper and less distorted than the (far too wide angle) camera of my Xperia Z5 but that is not hard to do…
1 Like

I would prefer a propane fuel cell battery replacement. Quick to refuel and very long stand-by times.

2 Likes

A connector for an external antenna to improve signal in areas of bad mobile coverage. Following the Fairphone philosophy this should be a standard connector like SMA or an equivalent.

1 Like

I wish for a bottom module with an improved quality of the USB port, so I won’t need to change it every few months. :wink:

Quite happy with my FP2…just some remarks:

• batterylife is definitely a huge problem !
  • photos are mediocre ! especialy zooming :dizzy_face:
  • cover is not so well adjusted, fragile and expensive ! (they could offer 1 additionnal cover ?)
  • really bulky…don t try to add a extra-cover would be like a brick !
  • and a stupid one: hard to recognize in a blick top from bottom on the front face (Fairphone marking could more visible ??) :sweat_smile:

–> it seems that a new photo module is underway and pretty easy to implement (for us as customer)
–> for batterylife issu…I don t see how they can make it better :no_mouth:
–> i really would like more customized cover possibilities (colors, flip cover !)
best cover ever from S5:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Samsung-Original-S-View-Flip-Cover-EF-CG800-Galaxy-S5-Mini-Hulle-Case-Tasche-/261628499519?var=&hash=item3cea46163f:m:mntVMR72SpAYnNhZss2PW9g

1 Like

Hello,
knowing the modular concept of the Fairphone, I would be very interested in buying high performance components in replacement of the standard ones. Like a battery with more capacity, a camera with higher resolution, etc. Of course it would be more expensive, but every customer could decide for himself which component he needs.
It can be also low performance components for the ones willing to save money on a particular function. It is like a personalized configuration of one’s phone. I think it would fit perfectly in the concept of modularity and optimization of lifetime. Is it something on which the company is working on?

4 Likes