✏ B2G beta (formerly Firefox OS)

Yes, in order to compute the shasum under linux you have to type:
shasum file
Here two of the pull requests are for updated blob https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/device-fairphone2/pulls
I do not know about Fairphone support.

Hi
i loaded the newest repo and it seams to be in there already…
But after comming over my bricked phone i loades 2.6 again and now i had SIM ANT connection but no data and also no WIFI.
2.6 is still a prerelease and who knows if its ever gone be released… but i wold like to try the latest 2.5 version as well. Does anybody know how to change the repo to get the latest stable version?
I don’t understand those git commands…
Regards, Novski

Hi,
I believed that Firefox OS was also available in the version 2.5 for Fairphone 2 whereas I checked here https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/device-fairphone2 and it is available only the master version a.k.a. 2.6.

Makes sense. I think the config configures the git wrapper by pulling the manifest “fairphone2.xml”. This does not exists in the branch “v2.5”.

./repo init -u git://github.com/mozilla-b2g/b2g-manifest -b v2.5 -m fairphone2.xml

But maybe something ugly like (repo forall -c) (different tags are used?)
git checkout tags/B2G_2_5_20160125_MERGEDA
git checkout tags/B2G_2_5_20160125_MERGEDAY

will work for the other parts of the code and the stuff will still compile? No clue. Best is to ask mozilla and later to report here.

But remember: It just an older beta … maybe not really worth all the work.

1 Like

im looking for a programer who knows a litle about firefox os.

I don’t know anything, but for me it’s hard to understand your question. Maybe it’s best to collect more information first, people will need to know more details.

What do you want to do on what kind of system? What have you tried before? What kind of behavior do you expect? What does the phone do instead?

For me it sounds like you have issues connecting your phone to the Internet due to Wifi/LTE issues. But maybe I misunderstand you.

Can you check if the wlan framework is able to search for access points? Can you select them?

Something like:

$ adb logcat
$ adb logcat | grep -i Wifi

Should be enough to get some kind of info. Use the “pure” logcat to find out how Wifi debug messages are prefixed in Firefox OS and use grep to filter them.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox_OS/Debugging/On-device_console_logging

Update: Also the bin blobs are stripped, as expected.

ok, i now tryed that. It seams that there are many errors but none coming from wifi.
Maybe its better to solve other errors first. Like the sdcard that seams to generate errors every third second…
but how can i no go on an try to take affect?
Regards, Novski

It’s best to break it down into smaller parts.

I will add examples, maybe that makes it easier to read:

Get Bugzilla@Mozilla account. See if someone else filled a similar bug before … if not … fill your own :slight_smile: It’s best to not use your normal mail address for this.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Developing_Firefox_OS/Filing_bugs_against_Firefox_OS
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/QA/Bug_writing_guidelines

Hi,
I received my new Fairphone 2 a few days ago. Did somebody here manage to build the 2.5 version of Firefox OS?
I flashed the 2.6 version but wifi and SIM ANT did not work.
Regards, sebastku

I think it would be best to report those bugs to the project, see the information above. But keep in mind that the Firefox OS development is somehow dead right now, even if Mozilla PR would never put it that way. But getting the Wifi up & running again should be possible.

Hi @sebastku
Its nice to hear that other people try to do the same with same results! So its not my device that is bugy or so.
What i don’t know is why some guy from mozilla told me that some other guy has it running… post 11 here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1244519

What i can say is that that bug is already reported but the guy who first started to debug with me seams to be gone or not willing to spend more time…
He doesn’t reply anymore…
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1248718

Maybe you can start over with a new bugfile?
or we try to debug it together… :slight_smile:
The problem is, im no programer and have to learn how to debut it from scrach wich im willing to do if someone can guide me on that specific device and OS…
What about you?
Regards, Novski

Ah, PS: @fp1_wo_sw_updates already checked the git repo and found that v.2.5 does not contain the device FP2 in this post a bit further up… ✏ B2G beta (formerly Firefox OS)
the note he made there that its only an older beta made me stick to v2.6. We cold try to add the device info from 2.6 to the v2.5. I looked in to that part a bit earlier and had to file a but for that as well. Its the linked bugnumber: 1244519

Hi @novski,
You are right, it would be better to get the 2.6 working than trying to get an old beta of 2.5. I’m not a developer too, but I have some experience with coding. Unfortunately this is my first experience with Android/Firefox OS. We should try to debug the problem and write a new bugfile.
@fp1_wo_sw_updates I would not give up Firefox OS that fast, there are some people in the community that try to keep it alive, so maybe we can find a solution together with Mozilla that keeps the development going: https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/firefoxos_is_not_dead
sebastku

yes i read about that but i don’t realy understand how it is organized.
Are you going to fill out a bugreport?

Don’t get me wrong. But they pulled the people the really knew about Gecko and stuff from the project. So I’m not so sure how the future development (overall plan that integrates with other Mozilla projects development) will look like, but I guess we will see.

Fixing Wifi would be a first step :slight_smile:

Does the file “WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin” exist on the phone/image? The bin blobs are the same in both releases, btw., they just fixed the location they get copied to. But I see the file operations open/denied in the log. Maybe the wifi firmware does not get loaded?

wcnss: NV download (...)

19.727574] type=1400 audit(1456207710.139:54): avc: denied { read } for pid=1081 comm=“ueventd” name=“WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin” dev=“mmcblk0p14”
19.751711] type=1400 audit(1456207710.139:55): avc: denied { open } for pid=1081 comm=“ueventd” name=“WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin” dev=“mmcblk0p14”

On a FP2/bin blobs it is normally located here:

system/etc/firmware/wlan/prima/WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin
vendor/qcom/opensource/wlan/prima/firmware_bin/WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin

I think the Firefox OS build places them here as well

system/etc/firmware/wlan/prima/WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin
persist/WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin

in the FxOS image.

Maybe related: en:users:drivers:wcn36xx [Linux Wireless]

It would be nice if the people with working Wifi on the FP2 could post the nv firmware md5 sum, their log, and the file permissions.

@novski Yes, but first of all I have to build the recent version, because I tried an older build of mine. You told that SIM ANT worked on your phone, this would be great for me.
@fp1_wo_sw_updates I can’t look it up on my phone at the moment because I flashed the Fairphone Open Source OS on my phone in order to have a working device. But I will try later.

Maybe you are missunderstanding me. LTE and Wifi Data doesn’t work, calls and Audio works. Bluetooth works as well. It wold be grate to hear if its the same at your side… I made a last build yesterday.
Regards, Novski

No in my case the phone didn’t connect to the network of my provider, so obviously calls and LTE din’t work on my device, Wifi didn’t either. But the build was older, I think it was form February.

Well it seams to change daily, the day bevor i had a chrash on every startup. I made the build 2 times with same result and a day later again with some repo updates and it then worked, so it seams the repo is a bit inconsistent…
maybe because Mozilla isn’t working on phones anymore? goog luck! :slight_smile:

PS: Juan just replied now again, and we made an apointment for 1.April to debug. so have to be a litle bit patient…

1 Like

It would be best to compare log files, images and files/file locations with him. Maybe it’s just the WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin file.

Sorry for the late answer, I have built the new images and after flashing I recognized a strange behavior: The system starts as usual and one could use the phone but after a few seconds the screen freezes and gets black afterwards, in this mode the system discharges the battery very fast and one could only restart by removing the battery.
This image is able to handle the sim but wifi still doesn’t work and adb doesn’t work either. In the directory of the compiled images I found

but

was not in this directory.