✏ B2G beta (formerly Firefox OS)

We (Mozilla) have a workaround for that that we call “blob free builds”. The way it works is that the build doesn’t include any of the non-redistributable bits, but we provide a Firefox Addon (almost ready for public use, follow progress at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1166276) that extracts the needed blobs from a device connected to the host, and rebuilds locally the images before flashing.
This process has been vetted by our legal team.

15 Likes

Which is exactly why I suggested to use this addon for distributing fp-osos builds as well. :sunny:

1 Like

Running ./flash.sh:

.config: No such file or directory
Could not load .config. Did you run config.sh?

So load-config.sh is not working properly.

I got it running by flashing the img’s manually, however Firefox OS always crashes on me after one minute.
I flashed boot, cache, recovery, system, userdata and splash, maybe that’s not enough?

1 Like

Hi,
I just updated the package with a new build. Yes, I forgot the file .config in the previous package since it is an hidden file. Now it should flash correctly.

I do not know why it crashes after a minute. Maybe the cause could be the manual flash even if I do not think so. The only important files are three: boot.img, system.img, recovery.img https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Building_and_installing_Firefox_OS/Firefox_OS_build_process_summary

Please, try now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi
Is there a firefox OS build to get someware or even a tutorial how to install?
I read about the licence issue and that someone has a build but i have to PM. Just who?
And are there any known issues with it?
Regards, Novski

I don’t want to ruin the mood here, but I read somewhere today that “FirefoxOS” (will be moved) "into Tier 3 support " … it that a good or a bad thing? I assume it more or less means that they want to focus more on something else and are just using nice terms to hide it like “attempt to keep the platform working”, but I can be wrong. So please correct me :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

The flash script didn’t work for me (FP2 not recognized as a supported device), so I flashed the images manually again. No crashes this time, will do some more testing later!

4 Likes

I didn’t yet test or read the source of the flash.sh-script but does it change the partition table / bootloader of the phone? If not, I cannot imagine how you could brick a fairphone. You should always be able to reboot to the bootloader (using the vol - key) and then use fastboot to re-flash Android or something else again?

1 Like

@erotavlas
First many thanks for your work. I tryed to exactly do how described but unfortunately it gives out the same as MaartenD already sayed.

I installed on a Mac with Parallels Ubuntu 14.4LTS.
Regards, Novski

Can you “talk” to the device in any way? (adb devices as an example? I’m not sure if Parallels will really work well with USB. Just wondering …).

Yes i think it works exactly as if its a linux machine. By connecting it asks where to connect it to. I can then choose from OSX or Ubuntu. Then i see the Android and also the sdcard as drives. But im not a pro so maybe ther is a difference. But in this stadium i think it should not harm. It stoped to early.
By the way i tryed to go through the setup for building my own FxOS and came across a config.sh file where FP2 is listed.
Github says its just 5days old. So maybe erotavlas can update his git B2G files and make a new version?

I don’t understand how or where to manage the ccache. Can somebody enlighten me about how to configure that?
Its not realy clear what to do, for me…

Thanks for any Help…
Novski

Can you “talk” to the phone from the command line?

Hi,
I did not ready all the messages. However, according to this https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Supported_build_configurations, I think that it will be good to have the Fairphone 2 at least in Tier3 since Tier1 and Tier2 devices are directly used for developing Firefox OS.

1 Like

Hi,
please keep us updated and especially report what are your impressions about the two versions of Firefox OS master and 2.5.
Thank you

1 Like

Hi,
thank you for reporting the various issues. I cannot understand why it does not work since now it should. I think that a virtual machine HAL is not able to abstract the hardware of Fairphone in proper way.
Can you try directly from Mac OS X?
Moreover, I’m updating the code and a new build will be soon available.
The ccache is used to speed up the building process.

@erotavlas
Hi, I thank you for your help!

I now tried the same on mac with the same result.

Where im not sure about is the connection option to set on the phone. Do i have to connect MTP or maybe disable all?
I have tried both with exact the same result… so im not shure witch one wold be right…
As soon as i have a spare minute i wil install a native ubuntu to go shure its not a OS related problem. (there are some comments in the thread that make me unsure about.)

May you explane me how that ccache command can be executed?
Im not able to execute in terminal and searching for a folder named ccache didn’t find something on my system. All throug apt-get install cchache states that the newest version is already installed…

Regards, Novski

Hi Novski,
thank you for your report. I do not why it does not work. Maybe the best thing to do is to build your own build of Firefox OS and try if the flash script works. In such a way it will be possible to understand if I have not copied all the necessary files or if the problem is something else.
In order to build your own build of Firefox OS, please follow this guide https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Building_and_installing_Firefox_OS, it is very clear.
According to your question, the answer is on one page of the previous link. You have to type

prebuilts/misc/linux-x86/ccache/ccache -M 50G

in order to speed up building process.
For any question ask here.

hi erotavlas, thanks for the replay.
I noticed something. The maual has a command to make the USB connect under normal user.
im following this page: link
the code copyes a file to the system with several vendor specific IDs and names.

This is just a part of it because its quite long. But whats ovious is that the Fairphone is missing totaly.
I came across that because i noticed that the help of adb stats a command called “devices” wich should print connected devieces and my FP2 does not apear…
So digged deeper. There is a Developer mode. Accessed by typing 7 times on the build number in the last section of settings. but that whas not all. after that sudo adb devices still didn’t show any device so i whent to the usb settings and tryed all types. And it seams as to decheck all modes is another hiden mode. it now connected as a 7 digit number ended by device. So. I think that cold bring us further…
Im tired so i will go on tomorrow. maybe mac will work like that as well… we will see.
Regards, novski
Quellen:

just found that in developer mode you have to activate the USB-Debugging.

1 Like

So did you solve the problem? Can you see the device from the operating system? If not, with high probability, something is missing and we have to inform Mozilla developers. Unfortunately, I do not have the device in order to try to flash.
Insert at the beginning of flash.sh script this line of code set -x in order to track the script execution.

1 Like