✏ B2G beta (formerly Firefox OS)

Yes, that was very helpful, thanks!
I’ll try it as soon as possible, sounds like a good way to not break too much :wink:

Cheers
Thomas

Thanks @sebastku!
I managed to install B2G over the links you provided. But it wasn’t easy to find out how it works.
So to summ all:
Parallels and Ubuntu 14.04 in the VM does not work.
My Native Ubuntu 14.04 on my Mac Hardware didn’t work as well becaus Mozilla Nightly download stoped with an error about the certificate i have or miss. I wasn’t able to find out.

1. Finaly i made a new user on OSX.

2. Installed this Browser called “Nightly” (was hard to follow that it has to be a special browser…! :grin: )
    on OSX just download the .dmg and install: https://nightly.mozilla.org/

Try this in Terminal on Ubuntu:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install firefox-trunk

And even harder to understand where to find the preferences! For all those who whant to follow:

1. type in the URL field this: about:config

2. Then use the search to find this line: xpinstall.signatures.required ->and double click it.
    If the Font gets bold it is already good and you can go on with:

3. pasting this to the URL field: \o/ B2G Installer v0.9.9 \o/
    I don’t know where Windows users can find help here but i was able to download ether the linux or osx version.

4. then install also this: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/labs/fxos-simulator/adb-helper/mac64/adbhelper-mac64-latest.xpi (from the lowest link here, called adb helper: Directory Listing: /pub/labs/fxos-simulator/ )

5. be sure you have 2 GB of free space and

6. type this to the URL Field: about:b2g-installer

Now a nice userinterface comes up and you can follow the instrucitons if your phone gets recognised.
If not try to enable Developer Menus in the Android setings tapp 10 times on the device info build number.

• And enable USB in the now showing up developers menu (main system menu).
  • And have a look to the
    Terminal command for Ubuntu:
    $ sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
    add the Line below in the Top of that file and replace user with the current of your Ubuntu OS:

adb protocol on fp2 (Fairphone 2)

SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTR{idVendor}==“18d1”, ATTR{idProduct}==“d00d”, MODE=“0600”, OWNER=“< user >”

I can confirm that

• Wifi now works but
  • not so LTE. Im not able to get 3G Data.
  • The Rotation of the Camera works fine but the
  • Video i made wasn’t able to be played back…
  • Phonecalls work,
  • Messages work,
  • Telegram works,
  • Music works,
  • Browser (on Wifi) works, the
  • Clock and the Alarm works! (and have wonderful alarmtones!!!)
  • Calculator doen’t work,
  • Notes app doesnt work,
  • Usage hangs on the let’s go screen (may be related to the 3GLTE problem)

All in all its a wonderfull system. Many thanks to everybody who invested Time to make that so nice…
Regards, Novski

Edit: Added exact explanation and Typo because of a call over at https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/update-suggestions-for-archiving-firefox-os-pages-on-mdn/8161/42.

2 Likes

I flashed twrp, 1.2.8 and with the addon the offered nightly and had to realize, that cellular data isn’t working for me, too. Tonight I might try the build you linked, hopefully I’ll be more lucky. (What doesn’t work, too, is any of the 4 offered CardDAV solutions :frowning: But maybe that is a topic to be discussed elsewhere.)
Is there any alternative like a 2.2-build to flash?

Cheers!

Hi, i have loaded the B2G from Juan and have the same issued with chargers that are not working as i had with the Default FPOS in January (1.1?) so im not sure how that is possible. Do you have a idea why FPOS 1.2.8 charging has changed and can you explain why its not a mater of the blobs?

Regards, Novski

Hey Novski,
you are invited to improve this wiki here. I only collected information to give a rough manual to try out B2G. I thought it was better than nothing. You’re right sometimes I don’t recognize things because they are somehow self evident for me or just because I forgot it. As you mentioned Nightly is the preview browser of Firefox and I didn’t think of people not knowing it. Especially with issues related to Mac OS X you can extend the wiki.
sebastku

hi there, so i did, and made quite a long thing out of it now… hope it helps. Thanks for the Help of your side!
Ragards, Novksi

Hi,
if you want take part as volunteer on B2G transition, take a look here https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/b2g-os-transition-volunteer-contribution-status-week-19/8634

1 Like

B2G Call for contributions!
https://wiki.mozilla.org/B2G/Transition_Project/Call_For_Contribution
Any help is welcome!!!

1 Like

Well, I could test builds with working cellular data.

Hi,
if you can help the project, it would better if you send a message to project maintainers.

B2G installer Firefox add-on used to flash your phone with B2G OS is finally available.
B2G installer add-on wiki.

2 Likes

Cool! Could you explain how the creation of the blob free images works? I was not able to compile the normal code (code.fairphone) without blobs.

The file
https://github.com/atilag/b2g-installer-builds/releases/download/b2g-fp2-nightly/FP2.blobfree-dist.zip

includes a list “blobs-toinject.txt” of files that needs to be copied from the phone to the new system image.

If this is possible, I wonder how they build the code in the first place. Or do they just remove the bin blobs and created libs after the build? This would be interesting for me to know.

Hi,
I do not know exactly. For what I understood reading here from a system running Android you can extract driver and useful data in order to build B2G without copyright problems.

2 Likes

I thought so too, but I was not able do just that. They build scripts link stuff and those files gets copied during the compilation process. So in short: the stuff in the bin blobs is not the same stuff that ends up on the phone.

Update: I think these there the files that were modified during the compilation. But I don’t remember that well anymore. But maybe the unmodified files work as well? Maybe not just as good/fast/stable. There are unmodified files for them as well.

lib/libart-compiler.so  (snap in replacement)
lib/libwifi-service.so  (snap in replacement)
vendor/lib (all added from the tar ball, except the stuff mentioned above.)
bin/wcnss_service (snap in replacement)

Some advancements are done. You can read here

1 Like

Hey Community! I have been busy the last few weeks. The work to port is done.
Until now only with sibon 2.0.0 but at least that.
B2G is in a pre-alpha state so don’t espect anything to work else than a phonecall. :grin:
The next step will be to work out the blobfree build so you don’t have to download an build yourself.
That will ease all steps. But for now its open for anybody to prof that my work was successfull by following this:

5 Likes

Thanks a lot Novski ! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I just have a question before I can try (I’ll have to wait until this week-end) : is it possible to do it with en emulator ? If not (paranoid question), it’s still possible to go back to Fairphone Open, isn’t it ?

Hi spartid, im sorry but i don’t think that you can switch back without to loose your data…
please be aware that it’s totaly unatractive to anybody who is not interested in developing until now.
The only thing that works is a phonecall. No other applicatons are ported yet.
B2GOS is calling for Help to Develop the next generation of OS.
Thats the main reason why i posted it here. In hope to find some Webdevelopers that wold like to see Apps shift towards standard Webapplications.
cheers, Novski

@anon59030904 Of coarse it is possible to go back to FPOSOS/FPOS without loss of data, but you have to perform a backup of your current partitions e.g. using twrp: ✏ Porting TWRP recovery
If you don’t have a microsd-card you can save the twrp backup in the internal storage, copy the twrp directory to your computer and after your trial of B2G OS you can flash back the twrp image, copy back the twrp directory to your internal storage and restore the backup.
@novski When using the blobfree build of Juan at least wifi, bluetooth and the camera also worked fine for me. Sure there aren’t many apps in the marketplace and some of them don’t work with the device but most of them work.

1 Like

@novski, @sebastku, I already know how to backup my data with adb, but thanks anyway for the idea of using twrp (that is completely unknown to me) :wink: I’ll flash the build available (the one of Juan, I think), and build with with the instructions of Novski tomorrow.

@sebastku, when using the the build of Juan with Fairphone OS 1.2.8, does the SIM card work ?