Oooh. Ohhh. Lineage 15.1 (testing)

This is really cool! Thanks a lot!

I guess, LineageOS with integrated microg will follow soon? Do you know if this will happen automatically?

When will the release be available on Lineage directly?

Looks like it’s building right now

1 Like

Looks like it’s ready now … Fairphone 2 - FP2 - LineageOS 15.1 Changelog .

1 Like

Now (at least as an “experimental”)

2 Likes

I’ll copy this here, just in case:

Upgrading to 15.1

We’re starting our 15.1 builds with some devices (listed below), with others migrating to 15.1 sooner or later. Note that several older devices are unable to receive official builds at this time due to the lack of support for working HAL1 camera recorder, which was broken by the treble changes, but don’t worry - we’re working on it.

From official LineageOS 14.1

1. (Optional) Make a backup of your important data
  2. Download the build either from download portal or built in updater app
  3. You can export the downloaded package to the sdcard from the Updater app by long-pressing it and then selecting “Export” on the top menu
    • Download proper addons packages (GApps, su…) for Oreo 8.1 (8.0 packages are not compatible).
  4. Make sure your recovery and firmware are up to date
  5. Boot into recovery mode
  6. Format your system partition
  7. Install the LineageOS 15.1 build, then install all your addons WITHOUT rebooting
  8. When you’re done, reboot the device.

Note that:

• Wiping data is not needed when upgrading from an official build
  • While you’ll be able to download the update from the updater app, you won’t be allowed to install a 15.1 build on the top of a 14.1 one automatically

From anything else (including unofficial LineageOS builds)

1. (Optional) Make a backup of your important data
  2. Download the build from download portal
  3. Download proper addons packages (GApps, su…) for Oreo 8.1 (8.0 packages are not compatible)
  4. Make sure your recovery and firmware are up to date
  5. Boot into recovery mode and wipe data
  6. Install the LineageOS 15.1 build, then install all your addons without rebooting
  7. When you’re done, reboot the device

Note that wipe data is always needed when coming from something that’s not an official build, regardless of the Android version

Source: Lineage OS blog, Changelog 16 - Smart Styles, Treble is trouble and Omfg Oreo – LineageOS – LineageOS Android Distribution

12 Likes

The build is flagged as experimental, as it is done outside the normal build schedule. I asked to get a build before the schedule just to ensure that it builds also on the lineage servers and test upgrades. Nothing else is experimental - no other code.

You can flash this build through twrp as an upgrade from 14.1 without wipe (but don’t forget to flash new gapps directly after without reboot). It will not show up as an available update on the phone. When you have flashed this, you will no longer see lineage updates. The next official build must be flashed manually again through twrp. Then you will see updates again whenever theres a new lineage build.

Happy testing. This one allows testing the 14.1->15.1 upgrade (regardless of encrypted or not).

If you upgrade from my previous unofficial builds, you need to wipe or do key migration (see
https://wiki.lineageos.org/signing_builds.html).

Chris

9 Likes

I tried (and failed) to migrate from unofficial to official build. I’m back on the unofficial

I used the migration zip from @z3ntu from 14.1

Anyone else tried and had success? I’ll follow the wiki when I’ve got time unless there is another solution

When I did the update (lineage-15.1-20180809-experimental-FP2-signed.zip) with the charger connected, it took forever.

Repeated the upgrade (after the initial situation was restored) without the charger: Took 3-4 minutes.

Possibly this has a relation? Unfortunately, debugging with adb logcat is apparently not possible in the boot phase.

Exchange (ActiveSync) has disappeared / I can no longer use it. Has that been removed? I found this.

I installed the latest version by wiping and installing new. But G***le Maps still won’t work. I can also not delete files in Amaze or LeafPic (Picture browser), nor is the Contacts app showing my contacts, my other dialer app is… Funny.
BUT… I will all get it fixed at the #EFCT18 next week. I’m counting on my :heart: Vienna Angels. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just noticed these artifacts in the Google photos app in the picture overview. Definitely never saw that on 14.1…

Exchange from Google gmail?

Chris

Are these new photos taken with O? Full photo view works? Built in gallery has same issue?

Chris

You basically just have to run a script before rebooting to recovery to install the new version. The script is mentioned in the Lineage wiki. I did it that way.

Chris

1 Like

You might want to post logcat after the long boot is over?

Chris

Taken with 14.1, full photo view works, gallery works too

After a bit of fiddling I managed to get it working and now I’m migrated… it didn’t work for me with the previously mentioned zip though.

Yay :champagne:

1 Like

Hmm, up to now I couldn’t get experimental running. I’m coming from 14.1 encrypted. I even tried wiping data (installing LOS, su and opengapps), but it didn’t help. After running for 30m nothing happened.
I need my phone, next tries will be pure LOS with data wiped, starting with small steps…

Latest twrp?

Opengapps for 15.1?

Chris