Oooh. Ohhh. Lineage 15.1 (testing)

I think Fairphone would be great if they would offer @chrmhoffmann an entire phone with the new camera so that he can run his tests there! If not, I’m in for co-funding a camera set for him.

4 Likes

I don’t think I need the new camera. All lineage bugs related to new camera are apparently also on fpos. :wink:

Chris

2 Likes

You don’t need twrp to decrypt data just to install a new version.

Chris

For updates of 14.1 to a newer 14.1 or of 15.1 to a newer 15.1, yes.

But what about the upgrade from 14.1 to 15.1?

1 Like

Oh no… So exited to install 15.1! Fingers crossed that it’s still gonna happen this week :slight_smile:

Same. The only difference is that you MUST flash new gapps RIGHT after the initial 15.1 package without rebooting.

Chris

2 Likes

I hope that the twrp encryption part for 15.1 will be fixed soon, as I would like to use it as a backup for such upgrades (14.1 to 15.1).

Just to make it 100% clear: that can be done by selecting both ZIPs in the right order in the same install process, right?

3 Likes

Yes.
After you selected a ZIP for installation in TWRP, you can choose “Add more Zips” to select another ZIP to install right after the one before in one go, and so on … there’s a limit of 10 Zips I think.

4 Likes

If 15.1 can just use a 14.1-encrypted data partition as @chrmhoffmann suggests here, TWRP would work already. We’ll see :slight_smile: .

Ok, scrap that.

so what else :beer:?

1 Like
9 Likes

already do what now :blush:

1 Like

Donate more, obviously :slight_smile: ?

Edit: Oh, there was something else, too …

4 Likes

What are the differences between 14.1 encryption and 15.1 encryption? What are the advantages of one over the other?

I wanted to know, too.

According to this …

https://source.android.com/security/encryption/

… there’s a possible change from full-disk encryption (been around since Android 5) to file-based encryption (since Android 7), but I’m not in the know whether this is the root of the current problem or not.

No. Or at least it’s not known yet why twrp cannot decrypt partitions that are encrypted under O. I am not yet sure if twrp can decrypt 15.1 if the encryption was done under 14.1.

Chris

1 Like

It’s possible (up to probable) I get something wrong … but this here sounds like somebody fixed that for the OnePlus 5T in January.

Edit: Ok, nevermind. The more I read about it, the more it seems finding another convenient backup workflow for 15.1 or betting on Fairphone to get Android 7 ready with a working TWRP are the ways to go for me …

twrp 3.2.3-0 is released.

7 Likes

According to the notes it doesn’t fix Android 8.1 decryption.
It does fix the broken automatic OTA installs.