Official LineageOS 17.1 for Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+

Please mind “Installing LineageOS from recovery” step 5, dot 1.
The recovery program needs to be put into a mode where it waits for the incoming sideload file from the computer, only then the adb sideload command on the computer will work.

ADB doesn’t work in Fastboot Mode, only the fastboot command does.
You are supposed to use the ADB Sideload feature of the recovery mode.

2 Likes

yes I know that, but still:

Please remove the space between /tmp/ and lineage… .

2 Likes

Thank you, that was helpful. But now the output in the terminal is “Total xfer: 0.00x” and I get the message grafik. BTW the recovery mode in the FP3 shows “ADB Sideload” in red, only “Cancel sideload” is blue.
My original plan was to install from the SD-card (like I did with the FP2), but I could not find how to access it. It is still inside the FP3 with the files on it.

Good morning,
Thanks for the effort !
Yesterday i installed it on my FP3 (which has upgraded camera modules, same as those from FP3+).
It went good.
i tried first without twrp, i just went into recovery mode and then Apply update from ADB. Then i did adb sideload …filename.zip (ota package). However while loading i got the error that it failed to verify the zip file. (by the way do you know why this would be ? i would prefer to install it in the future without making use of TWRP).
afterwards i used twrp and it just worked, after installing it tho i did get the messege that the system is corrupt and i could choose between try again and factory reset, choosing factory reset has rebooted the phone and started up on LineageOS17.
For me it was no issue to do the factory reset because i had anyway no data on my phone, i had to wipe it for unlocking the bootloader.

The OS works fine, no strange bugs till now. the camera modules are working now but I can only choose image resolution up to 12mp. Not sure if thats ok, the new camera module should be 48mp.
to get my apps i use F droid and i also download apk’s via the browser, that works fine. i just could not get Aurora Store to work, anonimus login was not doing anything, it was just saying succesfully logged in but i could not search for apps. But that might be a problem from Aurora Store itself i think:-? I have seen that in the past there were similar issues and they were caused by some google update, at that time they were fixed by making an update on the aurora store.

3 Likes

That’s normal. The module inputs 48MP but outputs a 12MP image. See here for explanations: FP3+: New camera module still generating 12 MP pictures

I believe indeed. To temporarily work around this issue, you can do “Continue anyway”, go in the settings of Aurora, Network, and “Enable custom tokenizer”. It should state http://www.auroraoss.in:8080. If not, set it so, and come back to the apps page, it should work.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your test and documenting the results. That is helping me a lot. I see that @Alex.A has already answered some of your questions.

The error that your zip fails to verify within LineageOS Recovery is normal and expected. You used the unofficial build uploaded by me (at least I so hope), and that build does not use the official and secret LineageOS key for signing the build and thus verifying its origin and integrity. Once an official LOS build is out things will be normal.

I was also told that we should expect a dirty flash from pure LOS 16.0 to 17.1 to work without losing data. Likely the same holds for LOS+Micro-G 16.0 → 17.1. We will see.

4 Likes

Aurora started working today, without me doing anything special.

3 Likes

If we can make a dirty flash without wiping data from LOS 17.1 GSI microG to official LOS 17.1 with microG, that would be extraordinarily appreciated :wink: That way one could (hopefully) keep the stored Exposure Notification keys…

1 Like

Awesome news that you managed to get 17.1 working, thank you so much for the time and effort!
What steps are required for official linageOS 17?

Welcome to the forum! There are official LineageOS instructions for installing here. One of the first steps is unlocking the bootloader. For that I still have to update a link to the working method, best if you wait a few days.

1 Like

Hey, thank you for getting back to me and for the detailed instructions. I meant to ask about the development process, though. What is required to turn the current LOS 17.1 alpha build into an official one?

First code review. Then an update of the hudson and wiki repositories for automatic builds.

7 Likes

No reply but an amendment: I learned not to care about warnings and get on with the process anyway, so I got Lineage OS on the new FP3 now, and I am extremely relieved that it is not bricked :slight_smile: But I could not install the Lineage-MicroG zip, (ErrorCode::kDownloadMetadataSignatureMismatch) … Installation aborted. However, the regular Lineage OS zip was accepted. I will go on trying tomorrow after work.

Thank you very much, dk1978, for your work on LineageOS 17.1 for Fairphone 3/3+! It may mean that I can start with that version. I considered /e/, but I am not so sure about it.

I just received my new Fairphone 3+ today and I am not intending to take it online with the factory OS + Google Play Services. However even though I am tempted I may wait till some image to download and flash is available. I never build an LineageOS image myself, still using latest of Fairphone OpenOS on the Fairphone 2 that I flashed using TWRP back then.

However, if there is a good step by step guide for building it myself somewhere, I might do it. I have Debian Sid on my laptop. I bet that I could use that for building it. On the other hand if you are just shortly away from putting some directly flashable image somewhere, I’d rather choose to be lazy and wait. :slight_smile:

You have to at least boot the normal system once to enable the developer options and then allow the OEM unlocking. But you can skip most of the setup wizard. IIRC to allow the OEM unlock you need to enter a code that has to be verified online.

2 Likes

I booted it - minimal offline setup. But without SIM card. Otherwise I hope it won’t connect to a WLAN unless I set one up. My own WLAN is switched off currently anyway and I bet other WLANs around here have passwords as well.

I am researching around and I likely need a bit of time to answer the following questions:

1. MicroG or not? I do not use Google Play Services on the Fairphone 2. OSMAnd take a bit of time to find location, but it usually works anyway.

2. Root the device or not. I rooted the Fairphone 2. However I understand that I cannot have the bootloader locked when doing so. I am not sure how much that matters when I choose to encrypt the device. Fairphone OpenOS on Fairphone 2 I believe uses dm-crypt based full disk encryption. Not fure about LineageOS 17.1 – does it use Ext4 or F2FS with fscrypt? On the other hand I never used the rooting for anything serious, so I may not even need it.

Anyway, I both questions are not related to LineageOS on FP 3/3+, so I probably better look for other threads to ask them or find replies if already available.

Yes, the standard nowadays is file-based encryption. It is done automatically without user intervention.

Ha! That link requires swallowing Goggle’s cookies which are not part of my diet.

Cookies can be removed, which is easy using browser commodities. JavaScript executed in your machine and info retrieved by Google is another story. In any case, it is not my intention to go offtopic.

3 Likes