October '15 production and delivery update - Blog

to be honest - I am disappointed, not about the delay, but about the lack of specific information… :frowning:

1 Like

Eh, I’m not actually back in the UK until February anyway, so I can afford to wait a little longer. Besides, if it’s thorough testing it’ll be worth the wait.

1 Like

What specific information are you after?

Thanks for the news!
@anon90052001 Could you help to shorten the time to release some more pics of developing, testing, assembling the FP2 as it would also raise transparancy?
Cheers, Robert

4 Likes

I can’t say a wasn’t excepting a Delay, but…snif…
Like rainer, i was hoping for more specific details, for example : “we discovered that we needed to do some last minute changes, and with that we had to reorder some complex custom parts” , what module are you talking about ? (just interested :slight_smile: )
Also, i was hoping to get the result of SAR too ,but it seems that it will be Olivier’s duty to tell us, but when ? ( upcoming blog post ?)
And Therob : +1 , moar information please :smile:

Elipsus

2 Likes

Well, overall I have the feeling, that the language of the whole entries gets more vague with every blogpost…

But to answer your question: let’s remind ourselves what Joe wrote himself announcing that there will be a blogpost soon and that he knows about some open questions:

The first 4 points are unanswered and unmentioned. And for the last point: Actually they announced a delay and added four photos. That may sound very harsh, but when there is not so much to say besides the delay (because there are reasons not to say anything specifc), I would have given at least more pictures in the post. Or tried to add something about the part(s) which caused the delay.

Moreover, one point I don’t get: “final assembly of the last modules will start on 23 November” and “At the end of November, I will be able to tell you more about exactly how many phones are being produced each week” — if the last modules get assembled starting with 23rd; the other modules must have been already produced before, which raises the question for me: Why can you only start telling us how many phones you are able to produce at the end of November? This is the key-information to have a real timeline for everybody with his order number (would have been my interpretation of the answer to point four). I know they don’t want to give too many specifics, because delays can happen, but being vague is also not the solution.

ps. and to clarify - Fairphone is doing more than any other company! I appreciate that and I am a FP1 owner from the first hour and promote the project so much that people propose I should apply for a job at Fairphone. So maybe it’s just the Fanboy in me who is disappointed… If you all are happy with the provided information, then I will sleep one night over it and get over it tomorrow. :smile:

2 Likes

As much as I can understand your opinion be that fair and don’t forget to read the sentence after the open points of Joe’s quote:

I would hope that as fast as this information are available, they will update the blog or create a new one.
Cheers, Robert

That’s true. And I didn’t expect all! But I am just not sure if one out of five is that great either.

I understand from this sentence that they can’t finish the phone because some parts (read modules) aren’t to be delivered before 23th of november.
So only after the 23th of november the first complete phone will be ready. After a few days they will know how much time it will takes to complete the phone and they can make an estimation on the deliveryschedule.

Sad news… I hope to have mine (nr 6620) before Christmas at 'east!
And I am waiting for the AOSP source release too

I was hoping it wouldn’t happen, but, you know, everyone has the same problem. It reminds me of waiting for the OpenMoko phone in the past.

At least they are not rushing things to meet a marketing-driven deadline.

And I very much appreciate the openness. That’s what I expect from FairPhone in the first place ! I don’t see Samsung or Apple posting these kind of blog posts.

One question: how can I know my position in the waiting queue ? @deedend mentions he has nr 6620 but I can’t seem to find mine. I looked on the invoice and in my shop. What am I overlooking ?

1 Like

Well, more openness than this one cannot be expected. Thank you for being frank here! Obviously tests discovered things the users wouldn’t tolerate.

With testing completed and nearly everything aligned for production ramp-up, we hoped to start assembly on schedule. But then we received the results of the last round of evaluation and we discovered that we needed to do some last minute changes, and with that we had to reorder some complex custom parts.

1 Like

Your delivery number should be mentioned at the beginning of the invoice you received after paying for your FP2, strangely only in the mail body and not in the pdf, though. Perhaps this is why you did not find it.

2 Likes

I also am happy about the transparency and prefer a delay of some weeks to having to send back a freshly received phone to support because of a faulty module which was foreseeable before the delivery start. Even though I still hope to get mine for Christmas as well :slight_smile:

Hello @anon90052001,

it would be fair to change, on the SHOP page, the “Order now! Delivery in December” by a “Delivery in January”.

Could you share live pictures of the “blue matte” and “black translucent” phones ?
We have live pictures of the others but none of these 2 ones :smile:
Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, we’re changing the text on our site and shop to stay true to the current delivery timeline. We want to prevent confusion with the fact that “Delivery begins in December” but if you order now then delivery is in January. So it’s a bit tricky but we’re updating it.

1 Like

It’s already changed to “Delivery starts in January for now orders” :slight_smile: Very nice that it has been changed so quickly :smiley:

1 Like

Not expecting delays is a bit naive IMO :slight_smile:

If we’re still on track, ‘final assembly’ should start on Monday!!

We are now estimating that the final assembly of the last modules will start on 23 November, with the first deliveries to customers taking place at the beginning of December

5 Likes

This morning at the team meeting we heard that final assembly did not start today. Allegedly there are problems with the PCB’s.

I am now trying to get more info and hope to sent it out over mail and post in the blog.
This is all I know now, as soon as I hear more, you will hear from me.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news…

10 Likes