Not every USB-C cable will work with FP3

I ordered 5 adapters to fit my existing cables. I hope they work!!!

Excuse me but why 5?

I can’t speak for @Garijs, but …

I have more than 1 charging cable lying around, ready to use, in different convenient places in my household, and they are all micro USB.
With the Fairphone 3 I need them to be USB-C.

There’s a use case for more than 1 adapter already.
But it gets better …

These cables already have magnetic adapters put on.
Several devices in my household with micro USB ports have the magnetic counterparts in their ports already and can be charged this way. Until now a lonely USB-C device is missing out, because I initially only got micro USB counterparts for the device ports, and the USB-C device came later.

But, thanks to the Fairphone 3 arriving somewhen (hopefully), I got compatible USB-C counterparts (more than 1 use case No. 2) for the existing magnetic adapters on the cables … and I only hope this all works like I want it to :slight_smile: .

Yes, I also got more than 1 charger and 1 cable, but why 5? I also got magnetic USB-C cables, but I find it less important for USB-C than for microUSB. USB-C fits easier than microUSB. Also, with USB-C, there’s a chance your cable does not support QC3. Although you won’t always need QC3 either.

Could still be that you need let’s say 3, and you only have the choice of buying single ones or a pack of 5, with buying 3 single ones significantly more expensive than the pack of 5, and with the pack you’ve got 2 potential visitors or future devices covered :slight_smile: .

Judging by this here topic I would be happy if it was charging at all with the existing cables and adapters.

1 Like

One for my very old charger downstairs,
One for my cable on my desktop computer upstairs,
One for work,
One for my motorcycle,
One as a spare in case I lose one (I will).
:grinning::grinning:

3 Likes

Called the help centre today, because my charger and cable still weren’t in. The answer:

“Unfortunately, it seems we have the same issue for the chargers as we did for the Fairphone 3’s, thus I believe your charger will most likely come towards mid-November.”

Adding:

“Another option could be to cancel this order and you can purchase the charger from a local store which would save in CO2 emissions otherwise you will not receive this order until we get more in stock.”

3 Likes

So this means, that “Prepare order”-Status will stay as long (i.e. some weeks) as “Rhenus prepare shipping”.
Life with a Fairphone really does teach you patience. :grin:

5 Likes

Does this only apply to the chargers or also the cable? Does anyone know?

I ordered both and this was the answer I got, so I am assuming it’s both. Not 100% sure, though.

Also asked for a list of good compatible other chargers/cables. Waiting on a possible response.

Hello everybody,
me and my wife are happy customers of a Fairphone 3, which was delivered last week here in Italy.

The phone works well and it’s great to have not just a phone you shouldn’t be ashamed of but one you can really be proud of!

The only concern is about charging. We noticed that not all of the chargers we have in the house seem to work with the new phone.

More precisely:

• Samsung travel adapter, output 1.0A, works
  • Samsung travel adapter, output 2.0A, works
  • LG travel adapter, output 1.2A, works
  • Huawei “super charge” switching powwer adaptor, output “2A or 5A or 4.5A” (don’t ask me what that means), it doesn’t work. In the settings->battery screen it shows “fast charging” at start but then it changes to “Connected to AC but can’t charge at the moment”
  • Huawei quick charge, output 2A, works REALLY well, super fast.

This happens with a Huawei cable. But what if I change the cable with a Aukey USB3 I got from Amazon?

• Samsung travel adapter, output 1.0A, works
  • Samsung travel adapter, output 2.0A, doesn’t work. When I plug the cable there’s no sign of life from the phone. No “charging” notification, nothing.
  • LG travel adapter, output 1.2A, works
  • Huawei “super charge” switching powwer adaptor, output “2A or 5A or 4.5A” (don’t ask me what that means), it doesn’t work. In the settings->battery screen it shows “fast charging” at start but then it changes to “Connected to AC but can’t charge at the moment”
  • Huawei quick charge, output 2A, works REALLY well, super fast.

So with the Huawei cable all chargers work except one, with the Aukey cable all chargers work except two.

I must admit this is quite annoying. I have no issues with any of these chargers or any of the cables I own with any othere phone, they all charge (slowly or fast) regardlessly.

Do you maybe know why this happens? Has it happened to any of you as well?

Thank you for your help
Marco

P.S. I noticed it doesn’t charge if I plug it in the car’s USB port either

4 Likes

I’m not sure I’m getting why the issue I opened about the chargers was merged with this.

Is there any news about the issue? I read the other posts in the thread but they don’t seem to be much related to my issue…

Well, I guess it is about this statement:

And the same way there might be difficulties when connecting the FP3 to the cables, there might be such problems as well connecting different cables with different chargers.
Therefore to me, the different behaviour is not really unexpected as there are 3 parts you connect and there can be failures or the like on any one or both of the two connecting points in the chain.

2 Likes

I have a “goobay” 1 m USB-A to USB-C cable here. Works with every charger and every powerbank I have. Fairphone 3 briefly shows a “slow charging” message, and then just “charging”.

Samsung 5 V 1 A Charger: Current about 1,1 A, charging time seems to be pretty short.
Powerbank with 2,1 A max. output: Current 1,6 A or so.

It should theoretically increase the battery life if it is not charged super fast all the time.

Hi, I have the same problem with my new FP3. I don’t know whether it’s due to a charger or a cable problem. As I have already plenty of different chargers and USB-C cables at home, I regret that none of them seems to work! This is not in line with the idea of fairphone, do I really need to buy yet another electronic device?

However, the only charger working so far is my dell laptop power supply… I tried unsuccessfully with those:

• Innergie 5V 3A
  • Apple 5V 1A
  • Anker powerport +6 5V 2.4-8A

I have had no problems. Have charged my phone with friends chargers. Until I finally got my FP charger I used my wife’s OnePlus charger. Any good quality USB C seems to work. Always buy quality, all those cheap cables have a very short lifespan.

I didn’t owned any USB-C-Cables, so I had to buy a new one. On techtest.org (German) I’ve found an article in which they published the results of a test of ten different cables. On that base I’ve bought an Anker-Cable (Link to Amazon).
My charger is a noname QC2-charger from a local mobile-shop.
Half an our ago my FP3 finally arrived and it works.

3 Likes

Haven’t recieved my FF3 yet (late september order) But wondering if i likely have the right charging available?

I 99% think so, but nice to check :slight_smile:

I have for USB-C:
-A LG G5 Fast charger, (The phone the FF3 will be replacing) with both an original cable and an Ankler cable
-A Nintendo Switch charger
-A 65W Lenovo laptop charger.

I’m guessing the first should work and the latter two are overkill, has anyone tried them?

The LG phone uses the same Quickcharge 3.0 standard, so likely not a problem.

I find that Lenovo chargers (I have the 45W) are able to charge USB-C phones and laptops of various brands, so I expect no problems at all with that one. I didn’t try charging an FP3 yet, though.

2 Likes

I have tried charging with several chargers and they all work in combination with Samsung, Cellularline USB-C, and Xoopar octopus cables: Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, Nikkon camera, Samsung from A5 (2017) and A50 (2019), Powercube with USB, Huawei SuperCharge. The only thing that is not working is cable from Huawei charger, but it is also not working with Samsung phones (A5 and A50) so I don’t consider it related to FP3. I will continue to test more with friends chargers and cables whenever I get a chance.

1 Like