Not every USB-C cable will work with FP3

But I do not have a USB C-cable. Did not read up enough, probably. Can’t remember getting a heads up either.

But I am highly annoyed that I have to buy one and can’t use the phone before that.

If you are awaiting you’re new phone and you don’t have a USB C-cable lying around. Get one.

4 Likes

The best you can do, is wait till you have the FP3.
Try the usb c cable in the shop, so you know the cable works.
There are usb c cables that won’t work with a FP3.

1 Like

Why are there USB-C cables incompatible with FP3?

3 Likes

I just to be safe ordered the FF USB C charger.

1 Like

The shop shows suggested accessories when you order, including a cable or charger. It looks like the cable there is more durable but it also costs €20 which is quite a bit.

4 Likes

At Fairphone on 29th of August I was told that not every USB-C cable would work.
To test a cable in the shop before buying.
I guess it has something to do with the difference in quality.

3 Likes

For illustration’s sake:

3 Likes

@Monica.Ciovica … Can you confirm this?
If so, what would be the reason?

(Apart from USB in general being may-or-may-not-work-for-whatever-reason tech since day 1.)

4 Likes

Maybe it’s about this: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/11/google-engineer-leaves-scathing-reviews-of-dodgy-usb-type-c-cables-on-amazon/

Or this one, even worse: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/google-engineer-finds-usb-type-c-cable-thats-so-bad-it-fried-his-chromebook-pixel/

8 Likes

Does the charger come with a cable, or do you need to order it separately?

1 Like

Please note: the USB charging cable is sold separately

7 Likes

Sadly it has to be orderded/bought separately. So that’s another 20 euros.

2 Likes

You can also order the cable and use it with an existing charger. Maybe no Quick Charge 3.0 that way, but the phone will charge.

7 Likes

Though Quick Charge 3.09 seems to be the reason the FP3 might not get Android 10 at all, as described in another thread.

2 Likes

Good that you found it again.
As I have posted here long time ago, some manufacturer kept distance to USB-C as the risk of finding a not “matching” combination in the market was simply too high to maybe get liable for a damage caused by using their device with such a improper implemented USB-C cable.

Well people asked for USB-C in their FP2/3, now people have USB-C in their FP3. For known reason to me I never wanted it.

@bruce
After all, it’s not the problem of FP3, but the general problem of how USB, more precisely USB-C is implemented in the market. On Amazon it’s meanwhile very risky to receive a proper manufactured USB-C cable. But one can find a bad one at almost every place. Only testing can show, which is risky after all. The price is no guarantee being save of a fake/wrong wired cable.
If one does not need faster charging a µUSB -> USB-C adapter (preferable of a magnetic type) should serve well and also provide data transmission.

2 Likes

Hi all, just wanted to add some extra information here, as @AnotherElk pinged me above. The reason some USB-C cables don’t work with FP3 is due to the fact that the manufacturing process and specifications may vary based on who produces them.
We encourage you to check for the chargers you already have - or if you are looking at other ones besides the ones on our website, if they are IF certified. You can read more about the certification here: https://www.usb.org/compliance

11 Likes

This is why I bought an official charger plus cable by Fairphone. It is a little bit more expensive, but I know it is going to work.

1 Like

Just to be clear though it is not a Raspberrry Pi 4 type situation though right? They did not have a spec compliant USB-C port. I assume the FP3 has a spec compliant port but you are just saying if the cable is not spec compliant it may not work. Any spec compliant cable will work.

That’s just rumors, if you actually look at source mentioned in the other thread, you see there is actually no reason to assume the FP3 will not get Android 10 because of the charging port/ Quick Charge 3.

2 Likes

Hi aaron, indeed my message refers to individual cables customers might have at home and not the FP3 port.

3 Likes