No system update since June 5th, 2020!

Hi, I haven’t received a single security update since June 5th, 2020. Rebooting and trying manually always says it is up-to-date.

Without even talking about Android 10, I’d like my phone to at least have the latest security fixes !

Also I bought the new cameras weeks ago and I haven’t installed them yet since it was recommended to wait for Android 10. But I think I’ll give it a shot anyway :confused:

I know some SIM cards somehow block updates although I never understood why.

3 Likes

The latest update was released in October, so you might indeed be affected by a provider delay.

2 Likes

That will end up with at least non-functioning cameras and probably more trouble. I’d definitely not do that.

6 Likes

Great… Thanks for the tip anyway.

So, will my phone ever update? I didn’t buy new hardware for it to sit eternally in a box.

1 Like

Can you tell us which provider you use?

In the past it was people who where using Vodafone and Orange networks who didn’t get updates.
For the life of me I can’t find the topics anymore that had a workaround. It usually could be fixed by temporarily using a different SIM card. Once people got past a certain version, normal updates would resume.
Not exactly sure if the same applies to you because the cases I remember were stuck on even older versions.

3 Likes

I am from Belgium and my provider is Scarlet, which uses the network of Proximus (the main Belgian network).

Thanks for your help.

Hey dixDel, I’m in Belgium too, also with Scarlet, and I have the same issue. Except that I bought the new camera+ module and install it before doing the reading :confused:
At least it still works, but the pictures didn’t improve.
I don’t understand why it’s related to what provider we use…
but if you find something useful I’d be curious to know.

1 Like

Hi @Rius I tried this without success: https://lifehacker.com/force-an-android-device-to-check-for-a-system-update-5946585

I repeated the two processes but the system keeps saying it is up-to-date.

Someone might reach out to Scarlet and ask them about the cause of delay…

I have exactly the same issue with my fp3, stuck at the June 5 update. I have a Proximus sim and subscription.

I sent an email to Scarlet earlier today, I’ll keep you updated.

4 Likes

Just to clarify on the points: did you guys get your phones FROM your provider or did you get the phone directly from FP and just put your sim in?
If it comes via your provider, they might have made modifications to the OS and have modified the update source.
One (hack-y) way of getting around this, would be to flash android directly from FP, as outlined here: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048050332

No, in my case, it’s a Fairphone directly bought here and I put my SIM in it.

It might just be what @formerFP.Com.Manager has been posting here:

Together with our partners, we test the software before its release, and in some instances where a software update might result in some problems for users on a specific network or in a specific country, we prefer to delay the software release for that specific customer base and fix all the potential issues before making the software available to everyone.

That means that depending on your network provider, some Fairphone 3 users may receive this update later. Once the update is available you’ll receive a push notification to automatically update.

Possibly things didn’t work out with Scarlet, so you didn’t receive updates for good reason.

That update just appeared when I made a manual check!

Note that I have two SIM cards and I just migrated the second one from Scarlet to another provider earlier this week, so I don’t know if it is related.

1 Like

Yes it’s the service provider that forwards the update once they receive it from Fairphone, so some SIM cards may have huge delay in the date you can download it, if ever for some.

1 Like

Update is available this morning !
thank you everyone

For me as well! Waiting for my phone to charge and then, finally, the upgrade!