No sound 50+% of the time in calls, until reboot

I’m not even sure they consider the problem described in this thread as a problem.

They identify only these problems:

– During calls the phone reboots randomly
– Calls not always connecting on the first attempt
– So called “ghost touches”, meaning random, unwanted touch input

And I have the feeling the no-sound problem is none of them because you could think it is the second problem, but in reality the call does go through (it doesn’t stay ringing, at some point it connects) and the no-sound problem has nothing to do with whether it is the first or last attempt.

The future of my FP3 looks really dark and painful. It was definetly a huge mistake to trust this company.

2 Likes

That’s why I haven’t returned mine. I cannot trust that this company will live up to its expectations, given the current experience.

I’d rather have a paperweight for 400€ than having nothing for 400€. At least with the paperweight I cannot talk to anyone but I can still program the alarm clock, watch videos or play games. Seeing how this company works (or lack of), I’m pretty sure that if I send it I’ll end up without the money and without the phone (or it will cost me even more if I want to get back my paperweight).

They expect to fix the “random reboots” problem.

As far as I can see, the no-sound problem is not even in their list of problems.

1 Like

On mine I had this issue literally only once or maybe twice and a restart fixed, as my previous post.

The latest patch hopefully will fix it for some/all of you?:
Software Version: 8901.3.A.0077.20201221
“Fixed an issue that was causing, under certain conditions, the microphone to stop working until the device was rebooted.”

Problem still the Same.

Hi @ticki23

If you mean you have the same problem after updating to 0077 maybe you could post that to the topic:

and you could also specifically contact support if this ongoing

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

2 Likes

Guys, I can confirm what previous members have written. There is no solution at the moment. I have exchanged my phone. You have a right to have a mobile phone which can enable you to have stable phone calls. I encourage you to contact the support team. They are just trying to buy time. This update from the CEO doesn’t change anything. No wonder that @formerFP.Com.Manager hasn’t answered me here in a topic which has 7.2k (together with the German 11.6k views). I told them that I have these issues in July 15, 2020 (!).

2 Likes

I agree with endgame
I have had that issue since september 2019, few days after I bought it. I have actually started that very topic at tat time.
I am now struggling to get my phone replaced.
They also tried to send me to the CEO blog and explain me my problem is fixed. Except that not only the description does not fit the problem, but the latest update that was supposed to fix doesn’t fix anything.

To tell you how much they are trying to abuse me and the level of dishonesty they are reaching :
_ they constantly ignore most, if not all, of my remarks explaining how my problem is not related to what is “fixed by an update” according to them
_ they tried many times to close my ticket, while the problem is not fixed
_ they tried to send me back to the national reseller I got it from (Orange), while this is where I started, and lead me to direct contact with fairphone
_ they do not recognize the starting date of my complains from the moment I created that topic (sept 2019, 16months ago), but from the moment they have opened a ticket, that is august 2020, which leads them to offer me to reimburse the phone only 220 euro, instead of the 450 I paid for. Note that I first went to the community to be nice, and try to fix my problem on my own without loading their support too much.
_ I have been now asking to get the phone replaced since August 2020. Only after 5 months of regular email, pushing up to several times a week sometimes, do I finally start to get offered to get a return. Thought that is not the case yet.

They are playing the clock
They pretend your problem is something else

6 Likes

Yes this a common problem, some people like you genuinely try to avoid overloading official support, some think this could be official support, so sadly your trying to relieve them initially from the problem isn’t really helpful to you and, irrespective of FP’s workload isn’t helping them.

When i see people post a problem that isn’t resolved on this forum with two or three weeks, or sooner, i advise them to open a ticket.

Sure it puts work at the door of FP, but they are not going to know the consequences of their business jf many customers don’t complain promptly. And no doubt as you have found, delays in official complaints can lead to querying your integrity.

Let’s hope you can sent the phone back and get some compensation once they see the problem in their hands.

All the best

1 Like

Hi Everyone

I have had enough of Fairphone dishonest support.
I have started the following topic : Group action against Fairphone for dishonest support on Fairphone 3

If you find it relevant, to no hesitate to comment, give support, and share information.

1 Like

From what I understand, if I quickly run through the issues here at hand, your phone is despite the updates still giving you issues with no sound while making a call.

I am confident with the following steps your problems can be solved (I had the exact same issues for quite a while, but got solved with the latest update).
It isn’t fun to do, but it is done within about 20 to 30 minutes.

• Remove the SIM card
  • Reset the phone to factory settings
  • When done Flash the phone with the latest software version. How to do so follow the instructions provided here: Manually install Fairphone OS on FP3/FP3+ – Support
  • Turn off the phone, put in the SIM card.
  • Start the phone and your problems should be solved.

And if the not, don’t wait here on the forum for the solution to come, but contact the Fairphone support team either with an e-mail (find the submission form here Submit a request – Support) or call them at +31 20 788 4400. The opening hours for the phone line are 13:00 - 17:00 on Monday to Friday. It might be busy, but they are still there to help you with your issues.

If you explain you already reset the phone to factory settings and flashed it with the latest software version and problem was not resolved the will be able to help you further. This can mean you have to send in the phone for diagnosis, but this could result in receiving a new phone if indeed there are defects.
I am 100% confident they will help you further, as they did when I got stuck (which was before I reset the phone and flashed it with the latest software).

But don’t rely on the forum only. If your problem can’t be fixed with advice on the forum ALWAYS contact customer support.

5 Likes

Sorry, but this doesn’t solve the problem. I tried this last Friday. Today I’m making phone calls and the person I’m speaking with is still complaining about bad audio quality. I disabled wifi-calling, which seems to be a slight improvement. But still, the sound is fading after like 30 seconds. I’m on two providers, Vodafone is by far the worst in voice quality.

And yes, I already have a support ticket.

3 Likes

Blockquote …Vodafone is by far the worst in voice quality.

Have you contacted Vodafone? If there is a difference in sound quality between the two providers very likely it is not the phone (or the software) , but something with the SIM card(s).

Anyhow, this solution (and the update) are not for sound quality, but for “no sound at all” and “dropping of phone calls”.
As described in the information about the update:

So, my recommendation is to first test with another SIM card. Try one of family of friends to see what the quality it. Best would be to avoid the carriers you are using (Vodafone and the other). If with different SIM card the issue is solved contact your carriersto request new SIM cards.
If the problem remains with different SIM cards contact Fairphone Customer Support again and tell them you did what I mentioned in my previous reply and replaced SIM cards but the quality is still bad.

2 Likes

I can’t change Vodafone, it is the carrier my work is providing me… But, on other phones it causes no issues, and when using a headset sound quality is good. The sim is not the problem. Swapping the sims into the other slots doesn’t help either.
So I’m pretty sure it is a software issue

1 Like

But you can’t test the phone for a few calls with another SIM card? I don’t mean permanent.
Anyhow, if it works well with headset I don’t expect it to be software, but rather that the ear speaker is defect
The best is to contact Fairphone Support to have the ear speaker module replaced in that case.

Or of course if the recipient of the call can’t hear you well the microphone module.

1 Like

@Sietse
This is going in a loop. This has been suggested already :
_ October 2019 No sound 50+% of the time in calls, until reboot - #4 by NicoM
_ December 2019 No sound 50+% of the time in calls, until reboot - #6 by matthewbednarski
_ September 2020 No sound 50+% of the time in calls, until reboot - #62 by hans.stoops

With a 2 min quick search of the word “SIM” on that very topic, this loop is actually the third iteration about suspecting the SIM. I might have missed another iteration.

To anyone reading that post, you should :
_ Open a ticket as soon as possible.
_ Do consider getting reimbursed before they fine some sketchy reason not to (Group action against Fairphone for dishonest support on Fairphone 3 - #26 by BertG). Weight how much you want a Fairphone. The coolness fades away but the need of a working phone doesn’t.
_ Ask over and over to get the phone swapped. It is not up to you to prove that it is a HW problem. Fairphone has now failed to solve that problem with ALL updates since Fairphone 3 came out, that is 3 updates if I remember well. And now 16 month + since Fairphone 3 is out. Meanwhile, some users do not report having a problem. Why should some be lucky and other not. This is not a lottery, but a company selling phones. Consumer law exist for a reason.

2 Likes

The thing is, it is not always. Sometimes the quality is good, mostly it is acceptible, sometimes it is poor. With Kpn (the other provider) quality issues are less frequent. That’s why I don’t think it is the hardware, but is the software.
Besides that, using a headphones helps, but putting the phone on speakermode helps as well. I didn’t mention that earlier, so I completely understand that you are thinking of a hardware issue, but I think it is software related.

1 Like

Looks likes this topic refers to the same problem :

Sadly if it is intermittent it could be anything. I have some issues but not as described by the topic title, I don’t switch the phone of 50% of the time, in fact rarely and not for that reason.

So poor sound, quite sound, not working well on WhatsApp, Echo when using speaker et yes I have them all occasionally, ~ often ~ :slight_smile:

It would be very difficult to find the software issue that could solve any one of those or many.

As you said I doubt it is the hardware, though the modules could be a bit loose, or the contacts dirty, even on a new phone. If the phone get damp, being modular and open to the air it can effect not just contacts between modules but the workings of the mic and/or speaker. Note that many, if not all people that migrate to FP have been using phone that don’t have the problem of so modules setting accurate nor are they so subject to damp etc.

The resolution to many/some such audio issues has been resolved by disassembling and reassembling the parts. Give that, it show the precarious nature of the FP build.

If you have tried everything, and you really don’t have to, carry out the steps FP official support ask of you and send it back it they can’t resolve it, but don’t take a year or more of asking for help here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, could you please clarify the meaning of this reproach!

To state the obvious (have a look at my profile): I am NOT Fairphone, neither do I have any connections to the company or any saying in their decisions etc.
If I personally voice my opinion, that’s just it: MY opinion, nothing more and nothing less. And I tend to make that clear by adding “in my opinion”.
If I - as a moderator (as well as personally) - ask for more polite and cautios wording in this forum, that’s because it’s my role and function in this community (as well as my personal feeling).

You are really annoyed and frustratedt. That’s your right and - from what I read - quite understandable.
But please take care not to take it out against others; especially with such unjust accusations. Because; nowhere in my posting you have linked did I argue against your rights. I just happen to disagree regarding your wording. That’s all.

2 Likes