No notification LED and no replaceable microphone in FP4

There were times when people went to their postbox once a day to check for new messages. I think that was not considered an unhealthy routine as long as people didn’t go there 20 times a day because they were always expecting something.
I agree that the notification LED is a comfortable feature but just because I’d have to adjust my habits a little bit that wouldn’t break the deal for me at least.

Comparing the number of your posts which include the word “Pixel” to the overall number of your posts this might be the right decision… :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Of course someone downplays this issue. I’m not surprised anymore.

You have something called Digital Wellbeing. It can handle notifications perfectly fine the way you want. Do not disturb profiles and focus mode for example. Muting (persistent) notifications is easily done. The issue here is just that the phone totally lacks the ability to show persistent notifications, so this unhealthy behavior of checking your phone for the sake of missed notifications is the only solution. There is no opt-out, like you can with Digital Wellbeing perfectly fine already.

Why do I even bother to reply here? Every problem is a non-issue because of ‘reasons’. But the 3.5mm jack missing on a Fairphone is a crime against humanity :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Be careful as someone may tag you, me and others as trolls or pixel fanning :slight_smile:

Every problem is a non-issue because of ‘reasons’.

a) are you referring to the problems you don’t have, as you don’t appear to have the phone let alone any problems and.

b) every problem except the crime of killing Jack

Why do any of us bother? ~ it’s just habit of expression.

I think that will really depend on the user. If it’s a truly important message then I suspect many would call?

Otherwise I think many just make a habit of checking their messages every now and then.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

4 Likes

The competition of downplaying continues! :stuck_out_tongue: No, synchronous communication is not the solution for the lack of persistent notifications…

I will try out the phone, it will be delivered on or before November 1st. I already contacted support, didn’t you see I directly quoted their reply? I hope the phone will be good enough. But these design choices and software quality control make it hard to appreciate the phone. We’ll see.

2 Likes

Wow! Waiting to see what you think.

All the best.

1 Like

Any particular reason for you to ignore the option of an app imitating the LED notification? Are they blinking just once?

Persistent notifications don’t blink once. I suppose you think using a flashlight as a persistent notification is a good idea? That is a bit overkill. And to see the flashlight, I have to turn my phone upside down on my desk. In that case I will miss the single shot notification that provides context about a notification on the screen.

Let’s just stop the competition of finding impractical solutions…

1 Like

Apps which imitade the LED notification usually use the screen, this is applicable with an AMOLED display because those can turn on the pixels individually.

The screen of the FP works differently, it has to be turned on completely but the light of the dark pixels is filtered away. So a small upper left pixel would result in the screen running the whole time and therefore it is in no way an alternative.

6 Likes

There are exceptions:

The thing is that we don’t know, that’s why these questions are raised and people want to figure out what Fairphone came with as a solution. No OLED means that there is no always on display solution. People then assume there is a LED and ask about this, because it’s indeed not listed in the specs.

This could’ve indeed been a productive discussion. But it seems like a tradition here to come up with creative, but impractical solutions. That doesn’t go well when other people are trying to figure out this phone.

Maybe people in this community should think twice before they promote their quick fixes as real solutions. Then indeed this thread will easily remain civil and productive.

1 Like

A community is about helping each other. Only because you don’t like any other solution, than a notification LED, doesn’t mean necessarily, that they are impractical for everybody.
I never missed that LED on my most recent phones, even without an always on display. So maybe there are other practical solutions or habits :wink:.

3 Likes

I feel your frustration, both with some replays and the LED.
If something is a important part of ones personality critique turns to attacks.
Then it happens that “I can’t make any calls” turns to “you don’t need a phone, in case of a emergency everyone has a working phone you can use” or fading and staining phone cases turn to unique and custom features.
That is just consumerism but it surprises me how prevalent it is here.
It feels like a mix between worshiping and the inability to view others perspective or empathy:
“Its not a problem for me but I see how it might be problem for you.”

I use the LED like you and the fact that there seem to be Iphone users who turn the flashlight into a notification LED, which is crutch, shows a need for it.
Notification LED seems to be the least power-consuming and intrusive method for me.

But I have only ever used the FP2 and FP3 so I am accustomed to it.

3 Likes

Yes very true

And to see the flashlight, I have to turn my phone upside down on my desk.

Not so ?? You can have the phone slightly raised at one end and you will see the flash ~ its BRIGHT

Let’s just stop the competition of finding impractical solutions…

There’s no competition on my part, I can’t speak for others but I doubt there is such.

Some people probably don’t rate this issue as very important and are just trying to provide alternatives to those who seem very upset and focused on this issue.

You seem to be rather upset about the lack of such being available on the initial sales of the FP4 and you are not being ignored or played with. People are trying to engage with your concerns and maybe you don’t find some responses helpful, but it’s really down to Fairphone to help you I would think. Maybe there will be an update to resolve this.

Hello everyone,
This topic, as others, is heating up and isn’t getting many new arguments. We would like to avoid closing the topic as we did for the headphone jack one, so we would like to ask you all to think twice whether you should post.

• was the argument already posted higher? If yes, please instead use the :heart: button to express agreement.
  • is your post really bringing to the topic or is it just in reaction to somobody else you disagree with?

Thanks again, and let’s try all to stay civil :slight_smile:

Edit: typo

14 Likes

LED and the always on display provide a persistent notification. Using a flashlight as a persistent notification is not very battery or user friendly. I also doubt how intelligent it is. the AOD is not on when you have the phone in your pocket.

Anyway, if it works for people to always carry around a thing to keep their phone slightly raised when the phone is on their desk, then problem solved I guess…

1 Like

I honestly didn’t realize this would start such a heated discussion. :smiley: I meant to just relay the information I got from the support team. So that’s just how it is. No discussion will probably change any of this, at least not for FP4 (maybe for FP5).

So to sum this up:

• If you really need the notification LED or AOD, then this phone is clearly not meant for you. And that’s absolutely okay.
  • If you’re fine with how it is and want this phone, then it’s also absolutely okay.
  • Any workaround mentioned here is just, well, a workaround. It’s not the same as a physical LED and it has its drawbacks. It might work for some people, but definitely not for everyone.
14 Likes

Come on? I’m sure most people have something like a pen or a pencil or a piece of paper on them or on the desk to prop a phone up a few mm. :slight_smile:

There is improvement and deterioration that comes with every successor of a product due to many technical aspects that have to be considered. We may think about the challenges to implement gadgets and which, and - obviously - a notification LED was not number one on Fairphone’s todo list.

Debates like these might bring it back, but not in a FP4. Positions are set, ((im)possible) solutions have been discussed, so let us just welcome the FP4 and its many other features, and speculate about what we could have missed instead if a notification LED had been built in…

8 Likes