[No longer wanted] FP3+ camera modules wanted

What product(s) are you looking for?

FP3+ camera (camera+) module and top (top+) module

(Once you have found the product you were looking for, please add [FOUND] in front of the topic title or ask one of the community moderators to do it for you)

Where would it/they need to be shipped (country or city)?

Bristol UK

Other, remarks:

Hoping to upgrade to FP3+ and make use of second hand modules where possible

NB: If you are interested and want to send a direct message, please check #how-to-dm.
Be aware, that cross-border shipment of batteries outside a phone is virtually impossible for individuals.

Hi

Not sure why you want to upgrade the cameras as the software is a bit poor.

So you want to upgrade both camera’s you can find them at

etc.

And then you say you want to make use of the second hand modules. Do you mean you want to find a use for your second hand pnes once replaced or are looking for other people who want to dispose of thier second hand modules.

If you don’t resolve this soon I will be in Bristol in a few weeks and could meet up.

Upgrading the cameras does not upgrade to the FP3+ they have different core modules and speaker too.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I misunderstood then - I thought the pitch was that you could replace the two modules and then the software would upgrade itself to 3+. I wouldn’t bother if the software doesn’t change, because as you say it’s a bit crap. Is there a better camera app I could use?

2 Likes

For an open source option, you could try Open Camera | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

For another option, have a look here:

2 Likes

Hi if you want to compare, as I said, I’ll be in Bristol in a few weeks and I can tell you a bit more :slight_smile:

All the best

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll let you know how it goes

2 Likes

Cheers, I’m wishing to err on the side of caution and want to avoid installing anything dodgy. I’ll try Open Camera first.

Yeah I did already find that thread… Maybe I’m really tired (well I definitely am), but I’m struggling to understand what a port is and I couldn’t easily spot a definition in the thread. Please can you explain what it is, and what the security risks are, i.e. are they greater than an app from the Play Store? Does it involve unlocking the bootloader? (I’ve done that in the past, but I’m not open to it now.)

The app discussed is officially exclusive to Google Pixel phones. Independent developers have made versions available for other Android phones as well though. You can install them like any app as an .apk file from an “unknown source” (the OS will ask you if you want that). The bootloader has no role here. :slight_smile:

The “risk” is that you are not obtaining it from an app store that does curating and checking of apps for security risks or other flaws. And it’s not open source.

2 Likes

As in moved from, transported, translated to be used elsewhere.

I have three camera apps, The original app, and Open Camera each of which I use occasionally, reasons are available, but my defaullt is now to use a ‘ported’ Google camera app (Gcam) called Nikita

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.