No internet access via mobile data after update to Android 6.0

Hello everyone!

I updated my Fairphone 2 to Android 6.0 (Fairphone OS 17.04.8) about a week ago via the standard update procedure provided with the Fairphone. After the update I no longer have any internet access via 4G, 3G, etc. I can however access the internet when connected to Wi-Fi, which leads me to believe that this is a settings issue in regards to mobile data.

When I for instance try to access a webpage in Google Chrome (via mobile data) I get the error message:

[Pixelly dinosaur]

"You are offline.

Try to

• inactivate Flight Mode.
  • activate mobile data or Wi-Fi
  • check the reception in the area

ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED"

And of course I have tried all these humble solution suggestions, but with no success. I also fumbled around in the settings menues under Wireless and network --> More --> Mobile net, but I don’t know which settings I had before the update (when the internet access actually worked) so I don’t know what actions to take.

I have searched pretty thoroughly on both the web and here in the forums to find a solution but have come up short.

If anyone has any information that could help me solve this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Martin

Well it’s really hard to give you advice if you say you tried “all solution you found” without mentioning which ones they are.
Anyways first thing i’d check are the APN settings.

I meant that I tried the suggestions provided in the error message in Google Chrome, which are:

• inactivate Flight Mode.
  • activate mobile data or Wi-Fi
  • check the reception in the area

And that was of course to no help.

You have to check multiple locations in the “Settings” menu:

1. Settings → Wireless & Neworks → SIM cards → Preferred SIM for → Cellular Data
  2. Settings → Wireless & Networks → Data usage → [select SIM] → Cellular data
  3. (Should only affect Internet speed and not whether you get an Internet connection at all) Settings → Wireless & Networks → More → Cellular networks → [select SIM card] → Preferred network type (If this is greyed out, put the other SIM card to 2G before.)
  4. Settings → Wireless & Networks → More → Cellular networks → [select SIM card] → Access Point Names (check with operator)
  5. Check if a data plan is booked and data is enabled at your provider and that you have not exceeded your limit.
  6. Check if your provider has a disruption or no network at your place. If possible, try the SIM card in another phone.
  7. Check if you have no VPN in Settings → Wireless & Networks → More → VPN
  8. Enable data roaming in Settings → Wireless & Networks → More → Cellular networks → [select SIM card]
4 Likes

Thank you, paulakreuzer and tofra!

I contacted my operator via mail and asked them for the APN settings, which they kindly provided me with. I filled out the APN settings as instructed by the operator. Now it’s all good in the hood and my phone is back online.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.