No 4G / 5G connection Sunrise Switzerland

I assume you mean 50Mbit/s? If that is slow or fast is a subjective matter. Personally, I consider it decent, considering that you’re using a shared medium with pretty low signal strength. While 4G can theoretically be much faster, this is rarely true in practice due to sub-optimal conditions. In that regard it is not unlike WiFi speeds.
Do you have evidence that it was once much faster with the same phone under the same conditions (weather, location, operator, etc)?

1 Like

Hey :slight_smile:
Yes of course I mean 50Mbit/s. The internet speed was during the phase I had 4G much better (often over 100Mbits/s). The case is that I use my phone often as a hotspot to work during travelling, and with 4G (and of course 5G) this would work much better for file shareing. And technically it also should with my provider, price plan and F4…

It seems VoLTE and VoWifi was fixed, but not 5G

1 Like

For about two weeks, I have the same problem with my Fairphone 4 and a big provider in Germany: when I switch it on, I do not get any connection - neither to 4G nor to 5G, Then I switch to airplane mode for some seconds, and after that everything works without any problems. I am a bit astonished that this problem occurs just now, in the first two month of use of the new Fairphone the connection was established immediately.

Oh wow! Thank you for your research. That sounds shitty… Let’s hope that my request to my provider brings some development…

For Germany O2 please see here

Or here

That didn’t help in my case. But thank you!

Did you change to 4G/3G/2G, so switch off 5G?

Changed the topic title to indicate your provider

Yes I did but, still LTE instead of 4G…

And thank you for the change of the title. :slight_smile:

As discussed above thats mainly “the same”

5 Likes

Hi,
Could you also try your sim card in another phone? This may have nothing to do with your phone, since everything works well with another sim card. If your sim card doesn’t work well with another phone, it will be a good info to share with Sunrise. If it works with another phone, then maybe there are some settings you can play with…

Hello Nick

I have a FP 4 with a SIM-Card provided by UPC (which is now together with Sunrise, using their mobile net). Sometimes I have 5G, sometimes 4G, so basically it does work with the correct settings. Perhaps you check the settings in a sunrise-shop.

Just been reading up on this.
4G is a generation and covers a number of frequency bands.
The idea is to be able to provide up to 100Mb/s second.

This top speed is very dependent upon location, climate and of course transimission equipment, and not all phone have an equally good receiver.

So LTE (Long Term Evolution) was coined to acknowledge the incremental approaches that were above 3G specs but have not reached 4G.

The increments are different protocols on how a network tries to increase the speed. Different networks can use various methods and are very likely to pass on an LTE message when they do to show they are taking it seriously.

So LTE on one network isn’t necessariyl the same as an other although the different protocols etc are no doubt aquired by most networks.

How the phone interprets the ‘4G’ transmission is another issue and clearly different phones will show different symbols.

It may well be that iPhones and Android use different receivers and show differnet iocns.

And unless all Androids use equivalent receivers and software they also may have various cases which show LTE or 4G

The main issue is that LTE is an attempt at getting 4G speeds and 4G doesn’t mean it has been successful

LTE vs. 4G | The Differences Explained | Digital Trends.

Hey there

I have finally received written confirmation from the provider. As mentioned earlier, the Sunrise network does not support the Fairphone to get 4G or 5G.

This is really very bad and I would be very interested to know how you @Alois1 manage this.

Kind regards Nick

1 Like

No 4G or no VoLTE? I would be really surprised if you could only use 3G mobile data and why this should be the case?

2 Likes

Sunrise?
Fairphone supports certain bands (Frequency bands) Some of which are used by both 4G and 5G. Fairphone supports the bands listed as

4G supported bands
1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/18/19/20/28/32/38/40/41/71
5G supported bands
Sub 6 NSA bands: n1/n3/n5/n7/n8/n20/n28/n38/n41/n71/n77/n78

Please ask them to confirm they use none of these bands, it ridiculously unlikely.

I have found this provided by Sunrise and struck out those that Fairphone do not support. Taken from this link that was posted previously

4G LTE Frequency Bands
B3 (1800 MHz)
B7 (2600 MHz)
B20 (800 MHz)
B28 (700 MHz)
B67 (700 MHz Suppl. DL)
B75 (1500 MHz Suppl. DL)

5G NR Frequency Bands

n78 (3500 MHz)
n80 (1800 MHz Suppl.)

You may want to check your area online.

1 Like

A family member has a Fairphone 4 and LTE/4G works fine on the Sunrise/UPC network. Except VoLTE, but that’s another topic.

2 Likes

Hi Nick

I am using a SIM-card provided by UPC Switzerland for my FP 2, but now using with the new FP 4, without any special settings. Sometimes I have 4G, sometimes 5G, but I don’t know on what this depends, I presume it might just be my location.
I got the SIM-card at UPC in Zürich (shop at Kirchgasse). I find it astonishing, that UPC would provide 4G/5G, but not Sunrise. Perhaps you try at a UPC-shop?
Kind regards, Alois

1 Like

My guess is that they don’t want to officially confirm any support for it because they don’t want to bother.
But 4G as a standard should work on all compliant devices. VoLTE is a different matter and different operators seem to handle that differently.

2 Likes

It’s often ‘better’ to disbale VoLTE and let the phone use any old 3G for voice