NFC to Abbott Freestyle Libre broken in 8901.4.A.0016.6 [FIXED in 0017.3]

Than I guess you have answered your question yourself😉why not using the fix offered even if its not officially released?

Good question :slightly_smiling_face: Im using my mobile as 2fa device for my private and business banking processes, requiring an official build. Feels like we might want to continue this conversation in private, since it’s getting a bit derailed. Just send me a DM, I’m happy to keep talking.

The main question was to understand the release plan: Do you plan to wait with the release until a new minor update is ready (maybe October), or do you plan to release the fix as early as possible @lucaweiss?

A topic exists with NFC broken after latest update. But it’s not NFC, which is broken, NFC works perfectly. It’s the Abbott Freelink application, which is broken. It’s a serious problem, for the diabetic type 1 patient, who used this application.

I moved your post, as the topic is about the Freestyle Libre and not NFC in General, will update the title.

Edit: the issue as already identified and will be fixed with the next update as indicated above

2 Likes

Hi, I would like to opt in this special build.

Is this still possible now ? I really need this to work asap.

Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum.

• As you will note from the post you refer to you would have to send your IEMI number to the author

• In that post you will note the offer has been struck through as if it is no longer an option

• In order to send a message anyway you will ‘need’ to up your status

See

1 Like

Your decision is perfect. Thank you really much.

1 Like

Hi
Has anyone tested to new build already? Does it work?
Thanks!

Yes it works and will be implemented

1 Like

When will the new build released?

And sorry, the so called hotfix with IMEI is no solution!

Worked for several years in root cause analysis team. No customer would accept such a hotfix, which brings different issues, like banking apps not working.

It would be just an exchange of one problem with an other.

Real solution would be a certified hotfix, which doesn’t cause such side-effects.

That might be correct for you and there might be others who dont have problems with an uncertified hotfix for whatever reason, else no one would have volunteered I guess…and thanks to those who volunteered else no one would know if the fix is a fix…

Why not? Why not testing hotfixes and updates inhouse, as a good working quality control would do?

I think there’s mostly a problem in communication here…

As far as I understood, the actual fix will be released with the next regular Android update that is supposed to ship soon.

The provided “hotfix” was a test build, where interested users could register for by providing their IMEI. This was done to make sure that the fix the fairphone team implemented will actually work.

As was discussed within this topic, the fairphone team is not able to actually test the fix themselves, since this is an app specific problem and the app requires a working glucose sensor to actually do stuff.

The expectation that the fairphone team will elect someone internally to buy, apply and wear a sensor is maybe a bit much, isn’t it?

5 Likes

And probably will not work, as this is prescription based and also version 2 of this sensor is discontinued (for patent violation reasons, allegedly)

1 Like

In germany you are able to buy these sensors without a prescription. But that might be different depending on your country of residence.

While Abbott is pushing its user base towards version 3 of the sensor, version 2 is still available for me to purchase directly from Abbott. Admittedly though, I dont know how long this will last.

Why? How would you do proper software testing, of not testing the compatability of your software with other software? And the point here is quite another. As you may have noticed, the last update caused quite an amount of differenz issues. And all would have been noticed when a proper test strategy had been applied. Which had been not. Which is why the users are alpha-testing the last update. Which makes it annoying to see, that nothing seems to happen.

I agree with @ralfberlin it is crazy to think Fairphone will buy every device that can connect to the phone and try every combination of every setting with every other, some billions times billions of test.

Sure test out the basics but “testing the compatability of your software with other software” is unlimited.

Well I don’t have any so it isn’t common.

Again unrealistic to expect such

I’m sure in the background Fairphone are working on some issues that have been reported and they may be resolved in the next update ~ not that that guarantees there won’t be new issues :rofl:

But this is about NFC and Abbott. making this a general whinge isn’t helping anyone I should image, though it may be entertaining but then that’s a bit sad. :scream:

2 Likes

This is kind of a difficult proposition if you are the one providing the operating system other software is going to run on. The general expectation in these circumstances should be continuous testing on the side of the app publisher, i.e. Abbott. But this is also a difficult proposition, since the Android landscape is quite diverse.

Not to mention that Abbott has previously shown they are not very diligent in their App support. Last time I checked the libre 3 android app was still pretty much ununsable for a lot of their users.

4 Likes

Who says they should. Likely some of the market leaders would suffice. If they had tested that update thouroughly, this would have include cross checking connectivity. They simply didn’t.

Because you are the median user?

What exactly is unrealistic with that? To expect, FP does test thouroughly so the users are not alpha testing or that a solid test strategy might help discover software issues? Or both?

Yeah… hen and egg… as FP is by no means market leader, it is very unwise not to test used software with other software on the market.

Well… Cross testing… That’s difficult. For one, it’s not a pure software thing, hardware is also different, including firmware versions.
And then, surely not the only company, but abbot is notoriously known for not following specs and delivering alpha software. Btw, even not all Samsung models are really supported. We learned that the hard way. So “niche” supplier Fairphone would fight a battle they’re sure to lose (among others). And yes, there’s simply no way to be reasonably sure this will always work with the variation in the combination of hardware, firmware and software.

2 Likes