NFC is more than just wireless paying

Another use case and real-world exampe for analog interaction via NFC:

Passive Figures wich tell the Soundbox to play the Audiobook by the related character

4 Likes

I could use NFC for my cryptocurrency wallets and frankly not having the ability to get me an NFC module for my phone is a single, but big reason, not to buy it. I am a diehard FP fan, but it’s simply not thoroughly enough considered, how smth. like NFC could potentially change smartphone usage in the whole world once again. Maybe in combination with crypto, maybe with a whole other thing. Having an NFC module extention to add on should be considered. that would be nice and doesn’t sound like a wasted time at all.

1 Like

Mein Bankprogramm für alle Digitale Kartenfunktionen benötigt NFC. Gibt es jetzt schon was für mein FP 2?? Ich konnte nichts aktuelles darüber finden?

Es gibt wohl auch SD-Karten mit einem NFC Chip drauf. Nun weiss ich nicht, inwieweit es mit dem FP2 funktioniert…

SD-Cards die NFC-Funktionalität hinzufügen / SD-cards adding NFC-functionality
Das ist ja interessant. / That’s interesting.
Wusste ich noch gar nicht. / And really new to me.
Mehr Information von / more information from (english only):
Nearfieldcommunication.org

1 Like

Funny website, no HTTPS. :confused:

SD Cards

An SD card serves as a memory card for your smartphone. Purchasing an SD card with NFC technology stored on it lets you pop it into your phone’s SD card slot and start waving your smartphone at registers or over smart posters. The drawback of this technology is the range of phones it can work with. Those with a metallic SD card slot won’t work; however, those with a non-metallic slot should work just fine with the NFC SD card.

SIM Cards

SIM cards with NFC chips embedded on them are soon to be a worldwide standard, making them more accessible and compatible than SD card versions of NFC technology. The SIM card does raise security concerns, however. It could be stolen or possibly hacked to collect and use sensitive financial information. As the standards for this technology are developed, companies aim to create increased security that prevents these potential problems from occurring.

I find it rather funny that suddenly for SD cards (note they never mention microSD though I suppose that is what they mean) the security concern of it being possibly stolen is no longer a concern? Metallic slot is also pretty much the standard AFAIK.

Speaking of NFC functionality, the Solo Tap (first FOSS FIDO2 key) also has a NFC version.

Since NFC is radio, it would be interesting if you could use an antenna to catch the signal (though there’s cryptography being used; it isn’t as insecure as Mifare Classic). I’m currently exploring the possibilities in this regard.

While it is true if someone has physical access to your device (microSD, SIM card) it is over the same is true for physical access to a credit card you swipe (the bar code is behind the magnetic field). CVC/PIN is the 2nd factor here, but both factors are… well, for 2019 standards fairly weak.

I I have to admit I haven’t used a NFC phone .But l got one thing to say:Fingerprint sensors is not so secure either. The real reason it’s not secure: since it’s easy to unlock it with your fingerprint, and it’s easy to be hacked when you’re asleep or not awake. There are 5 unlock opportunities with 10 fingers. Little finger and thumb are rarely used, as it may not be comfortable for the owner. So if you exclude 4 fingers, you’re left with 6 fingers. The probability of success is 5 out of 6, or about 83.3%. In fact, no unlock method is absolutely safe, as long as the technical people willing to unlock your way, can crack.

Fun Fact : some hackers succeded in replicating a fingerprint from a high-res photograph of the victim.
So no, no-one is safe if you work hard enough.

1 Like

So on the one side we have security concerns, because NFC is too easy to read for a “hacker”, on the other side we have technical concerns that NFC is too easy to block, when using a NFC-SD-card inside a metallic slot…

Is it possible to make something fro this?

NFC is easy to block with a RFID block piece of aluminum (together with something like plastic protecting the aluminum). You make a sort of Faraday cage [1] with that. This is a physical layer of defense which is reasonable though it does cost in usability in this case. The metallic slot of a (micro)SD card can also serve as that, and (by mistake) block the NFC signal. (Micro)SD slots were never meant to carry NFC chip slots in the first place. For me, blocking these is a feature.

I do recommend people to protect their bank card with RFID protection cover (I found these on Amazon, sometimes they’re on a lightning sale). For phone, for OTP an attacker would need ‘advanced equipment’ and adjacent access (not physical!). Without such equipment an attacker needs to be very precise on the spot which they gotta know. If we’re discussing payment then I could imagine a hardware killswitch as a physical layer of defense, or a simple no/yes button on the OS.

[1] Wikipedia has examples of this, also you may have seen that picture of Anakata of TPB hacking on his laptop or PC surrounded by aluminum foil.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.