New software update Kola Nut 1.8.5 is ready

Did you re-install Google yet? (If you had it before)

If you open the Updater App again it should tell you your current OS version.

There is a Guide on how to Navigate Recovery Mode here, but if you say Volume up and down do nothing I’m afraid it won’t help much.
Maybe you can do a hard reset by clicking volume up and power at the same time for a few seconds?

Try to plug in your phone while updating and leave the “kepp screen op” option ticked (in system settings > developer options)

Actually there is: Unofficial Clockworkmod for repartitioned FP1.

Works like a charm (installed the automatic OTA-zip to 1.8.5 for me)! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’d just take out the battery. I think you can’t go back from sideload mode because it waits for a file from your PC (which apparently you did not intend to send).

1 Like

I had no problems with updating my FP1U from 1.7 to 1.8.5. I skipped the Googley thing because I don’t need it, and had to reinstall some apps like Xposed and Busybox, and also the settings of Apex were gone, but all other things are fine like before. Thank you.

2 Likes

Thanks, taking out the battery did the trick! The phone is now updated and running normally.
Still don’t understand how it got into that mode in the first place but doesn’t matter now that it’s working again…

Thanks again!

3 Likes

It’s the time taken to do this rather than using the flasher itself, although the MT65 drivers refuse to install my machine so I can’t do it anyway. Not sure if we have a process for a Mac, the only other machine I have?

Okay, plugged it in a few more times and the drivers seemed to load one of the times. Not sure how that worked but it did and it’s flashed. We’ll see how the next bit works :smile:

Hmm the update ERASED my calender??? watch out!!!

Okay, I seem to be back in business after flashing the phone. Whoop!

Cheers everyone, particularly @daveboschma

@fairfelix
Are you using Google Apps? Did reinstalling them work for you? Is your Wifi Symbol grey?
If all the answers are yes then download any App from the Play store to reenable Googles Synch function. Wait a while, then your calenders should be back.

If you saved your calenders locally however I’m afraid without a backup you can’t get them back.

Any news on the update?
I did everything according to textbook - OS update, Storage update, then tried to install Google Apps.
Not interested in fuddling around with stuff I don’t understand, so I’m waiting.
Would be nice to have my phone back in working order soon.

1 Like

I just wanted to give feedback that the update ran smoothly on my phone. I had to do two updates, though, one “pre-update” and the actual update after that. I was on 1.8 before.

Except re-arranging the icons and widgets, I had to do nothing, all settings, messages, media, mails etc. were present. I did not have to use my backup. (Which is strictly recommended, better safe than sorry.)

Now the old launcher is back. I did not make up my mind yet if I keep it. I already got used the new launcher on 1.8 and it was advanced in some respects.

1 Like

I just started the update to 1.8.5. Accidentally I hit the “Just Once” button when allowing Superuser rights.

Now the phone rebootet for the first time but:

“Unfortunately, Fairphone Updater has stopped.” --> So I can’t invoke that anymore.
+
“Get Google Play services” --> I don’t have Google Play Service either. Ahhhhh! >.<

SRLY? My phone turned into a brick?

What can I do?

You can go to Settings > Superuser and give the Updater permanent Superuser rights there. Maybe if you reboot afterwards the update will continue or starting the process again will work…

Thank you for the reply. I do have “Fairphone OS” in the list at Settings/Superuser but not the “Fairphone Updater” which breaks. Maybe it sounds dumb, but can you give a me link on how to add apps to this list if they are not present?

Sorry I didn’t find that option either.
Another thing you could try is clear the cache and data of the Updater App. (Settings > Apps > All > Fairphone Updater > “clear cache” & “clear data”)
Maybe then you can start it again. You’ll probably have to start the update from the beginning again. This time give it permanent superuser access :wink:

Besides the problem, that Google Play Services says, GCM is disabled ( after trying all kind of tricks like written here: Help with Xprivacy settings relating to Google Apps - #7 by ralf_xda ),
I can’t play music tracks as ringtones anymore. music is still there (SD) but stopped working as a ringtone …
In your list of details of general improvements of 1.8.5 you wrote:

Users who have already installed the storage upgrade (with a unified
partition) reported it was no longer possible to use a song stored on
the SD card as a ringtone. This issue has been fixed;

I didn’t install the storage upgrade but use the final Kola Nut version. Any Idea?

I have FP1 and the drive partition.
I have installed the update but cannot reinstall Google apps as I get the error:
'no more room on this home screen’
The phone only has one Home screen and can’t create any more.

I have also tried to install the KitKat launcher as per the link above but it won’t install as the phone says teh Install is Blocked as for security the phone blocks apps from unknown sources. Then I unblocked and tried to install the update but it said it was already installed

help please!

Thaank you

I have two screens on the left of the homescreen.
so you must place google apps on an screen, which is not full with apps.

@MikeGrenville
Open the Updater App again.
If it tells you that you are on 1.8 install 1.8.5. (I believe you only did the pre-update yet, because in 1.8.5 you have a fixed number of 5 home screens)
After the update you can open the updater app again and install google apps from within it.