New software update Kola Nut 1.8.5 is ready

The initial release of the storage upgrader didn’t contain two items (Recovery image and recent Google-signatures) which are included in the 1.8.5 release. This is the reason why people got stuck when upgrading directly from non-1.8.5. The current storage upgrader includes these items therefore I assume, direct upgrade would work.

1 Like

works for me (as far as I can see).
Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, it’s 1.8.5. The Storage Upgrader includes the update.

1 Like

Can anybody tell me, how I best update from Chestnut 1.3 to KolaNut 1.8.5?
In the old Chestnut1.3-Updater-App I only see the option to go to Cherry 1.6.
Any ideas? Or just go stepweise 1.3–>1.6–>1.8.5? No direct way through official updater?

I think there must be a reason, why it is not displayed. It might be best to go 1.3 > 1.6 > 1.8.5. :wink:

I moved a post to a new topic: Play Store (Purchases) empty after Storage Upgrade

Hi Paul,

it is the Fairphone Updater App.
If I go there manually, it tells me to install the update and when I check the app Info of the notification it is Fairphoe Updater. I just cleared all data of it … no change

Yeah but what does it say IS your current OS?

PS:
If you open the updater app (not by clicking the notification but by finding it in “all apps”) it should tell you your current OS version.

I moved a post to an existing topic: Play Store (Purchases) empty after Storage Upgrade

I will strongly advice to NOT update the Fairphone to 1.8.5 unless you want to erase everything on you phone anyway.
This was the second update from Fairphone that ended up in a factory reset. It did cost me over 8 hours to fix it (partly).
Don’t count on Fairphone support; I only did get a ticked number, no support (after 7 days waiting).

its Android Version 4.2.2 Kernel 3.4.5

Ok so you are not on Fairphone OS but on stock Android. If you want to install Fairphone Kola Nut 1.8.5 you have to enter advanced mode.

As expected, you installed plain (“Vanilla”) Android.

I hope you did a backup which you can restore later. Otherwise, your data will be lost.

Frist, it’s probably a good idea to have you phone connected to a charger, and (!) to [System Settings] when tapping the menu button on the left on your home screen, Go to {Developer options} and turn on the “stay awake (screen will never sleep while charging” option.

You can now go to the Fairphone Updater App.
Enter the Advanced mode. You should have three choices there.
Choose the blue one: Android for Fairphone.

Install this, go through the whole process of reboots, and have some patience. Afterwards, you should be back on Fairphone OS, the slightly customised version of Android which was there before you accidentially installed “Vanilla” Android. But you don’t have all your stuff back.

Now, go to the FP updater app again, enter Advanced mode, and choose the red option: “Install App Store”. This installs Google Apps on your phone. You’ll have to reboot again, you will be asked to log in to your Google Mail account, and the usual location sharing and syncing stuff.

WARNING: we don’t know if you synced your data with Google. You can check this online on your computer when being logged in. Check this, properly! If your data (i.e., your calendar, your contacts) are in the cloud - fine. You should be able to re-sync them back to your phone. But this might cause trouble when you restore your backups especially if you changed anything since you made your backup. If you changed anything, you might end up with conflicting versions, and I don’t know what might happen.

That said, if you have made a backup, then you should now be able to restore it from your backup solution. Be aware that if you used the Fairphones “Backup and restore” app which came with the phone, not all of your data and contents will be restored. If you used another backup solution, you will need to re-install the backup app from the Play Store, and then restore your apps.

Now, I hope that helped. Please tell us if so. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I moved a post to an existing topic: Google Apps can’t be reinstalled

Just want to say that I really had no problems with the update!
I did no update in december - now it was time: Everything went fine an smooth - thanks a lot!

3 Likes

Glad to hear! :smiley:
Did you update manually or via the new updater app?

Hi,

I am encountering a couple of problems with the new update.

First, however I already did the update, I keep getting the message from the Fairphone Updater that I have a new update available. At the moment I think I went through the whole process for 7 or 8 times already. In the end it always looks like everything worked out fine (the updates were installed, I re-installed the Google Apps etc), but after some time I always get the Fairphone updater again.

Second, I think in 3/4 of the cases Google Apps installer gives problems. I cannot open apps because then it says ‘Google Apps are not installed’, but the widget says ‘You installed Google Apps, to delete this App go to’ etc. After rebooting a couple of times in the end it always coincidently suddenly did work and I was able to reinstall Google Apps.

Third, since the update I encounter some problems with the bar above the screen where you get the symbols of your notifications. When I reboot my phone and the symbols appear, it always takes some time (+20 mins?) before the bar works again. In the meantime, I just always go the the Apps of the symbols manually to check my notofications.

Fourth, the battery problem I mentioned in another topic is still there. Battery is kind of dead and also after installing the update it keeps giving all the problems as mentioned before.

I hope this all means that actually I didn’t get the update properly, but I would be very happy to hear the solution how I can properly install the new update. Some extra information: when I go to the Fairphone updater and press ‘Cancel’ instead of ‘Install’, it says “You are running Fairphone Cherry 1.6”.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Hi
I made the update for 15 days approx.
My bluetooth app is buggy now and it seems that the network reception have some problems too.
everythink was perfect before the last update.
And my phone is checking for update all the time…

Any idea ?

I have the first edition fairphone.

Thanks

1.) Does the notification say “checking for updates” or really that a new update is available? In first case check this thread in the second case (I missed your last sentence at first, so yes it seems you didn’t really update yet)
Go to settings > developer options and tick “stay awake”, then plug-in your phone and do the update again (hopefully the last time)

2.) Once the update is really installed you should be able to install gapps from within the updater app and hopefully it will work better then.

3.) I’m not exactly sure what you mean, but problems with notifications after an update are sometimes solved by downloading an app from the play store (once gapps are working again).

4.) I’ll check that other thread…

2 Likes

Please use the search function above (the little magnifying glass). There are plenty of topics around, so try some fixes that are provided there. You have to tell us, what you have done to solve your issue. (If you want one-on-one support, you need to contact the Fairphone team directly via Support.

1 Like