New software update Kola Nut 1.8.5 is ready

Hi, same as me and others too.

I´m currently trying to get it working again.
If you wait a few minutes I might be able to help you.

I had the same problem and made the installation manually. But now I’m in the loop to reinstall the Google-Apps.

As I have mentioned, there is enough space. I’ve already cleared the cache and rebooted the phone. I’ve tried to install the update six times, but it doesn’t work…

How is your phones storage partitioned?

3,94GB internal storage (interner Speicher), 9,99GB phone-storage (Telefonspeicher).

OK, now here a work around for all who have partitioned the phone manually:

• First backup all your data as this is going to delete everything.
  • download "Storage Upgrader 1.8.5
  • save it on your phone memory (it´s called sdcard as well but is the internal memory)
  • boot into recovery mode
  • …basically follow this instruction:
3 Likes

Do you have any suggestions???

Ok so not unified yet. And are you on 1.6 or 1.8?
The unified partition upgrade in 1.8.5 is currently postponed (until tomorrow hopefully) but since you can’t update to 1.8.5 it will not help you either. If you are on 1.6 you can do the partition update (in the updater app) befor updating the OS.

I would not suggest a manual update of the OS because some who did that after a failed update through the Updater App are now stuck without Google Apps or have other Problems.

I am on 1.6.
So if I do the partition update, everything on the phone will be gone, as at the manuelly partioning. So I have to do a lot of work again, right?
Isn’t there any other way?

Had the same problem - @paulakreuzer s answer helped!
Thaks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes.

Currently the google apps are installing on my phone again…
hope it is going to work

1 Like

Yes you should do a thorough backup first as everything will be wiped. But the unified storage will keep you from having these problems in the future and whether you do it in 1.6 or 1.8.5 everything will be wiped anyway. Also a good backup should be done before any software update.

Thank you very much for your answears!
Currently I have not enough time to do this and I think it’s to complicate for me. My phone should just work, so no update for me. But thanks!

Is your Wifi symbol grey? This would indicate that there is no connection to the Google servers.

To all who have used a custom partitioner in the past (before Unified came into existence). Follow the post of jopi79.
I ran out of time this morning so I am continuing now. The problem for people who converted to a 4GB/8GB setup is that in the proces the cache partition (/cache) was resized to a very small 123MB. Obviously 201MB doesn’t fit into 123MB so you’re stuck!

BEWARE using manual flashing will get you in the google apps updater loop! See Google Apps can't be reinstalled for more details.

Only work-around this evening is going the extra mile and FLASH a recovery image of 1.6 using the SP Flash method. If you are not comfortable with flashing an image to your phone, wait for the official new installer tomorrow!

Manual update procedure (different from flashing, see other post!)

• Make a backup (DONT SKIP THE BACKUP, you will wipe your phone in the process, so everything not backed up or on SD is lost)
  • Download the manual update. (preferably the “storage 1.8.5”, since manual updating overwrites everything, so you might as well go for Unified)
  • save to phones INTERNAL SD (in the downloads folder), the external SD (eg the card you can insert) is not accesable in recovery because e3 recovery will only see the internal SD. After this hole proces you’ve got Unified so recovery sees your external SD as the only one.
  • boot into recovery
  • install manually
  • wipe cache
  • wipe data
  • reboot
  • reinstall g-apps
  • recover files from backup
  • reinstall apps as needed
2 Likes

Does this bring your keyboard back?

(Alternatively, if you don’t want to install Google Apps, you can go to Settings > Language & Input and choose the AOSP keyboard.)

See posts of jopi79 and myself (message 118). Manual update required if you repartitioned using Meteos or similar)

@anon12454812 @Techaddict
Can you please mention in the topic starter message that the pre-update (step 1) kills g-apps…

yep, this would be an important info BEFORE starting the update

Could you elaborate a little bit on this? If I install the new Fairphone updater app (pre-update) on a 1.6/1.8 phone it doesn’t remove/kill my app store.