New slim back cover

Well this is not true for me, I never called them and only used the online form for my requests.
I know there are several people which are waiting for long time, perhaps I was simply lucky :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, support was struggeling, but not anymore.
Their responsetime is much much better now.

3 Likes

This surprises me a bit.

I was in our attic/storeroom and I picked up a pair of trousers intending to take my 'phone out of the pocket and put it into the ones I was wearing. Unfortunately I had apparently lain the 'phone on the trousers and so it fell. Straight down the stairs.

Upon reaching the upstairs landing it bounced and continued on its journey in ever increasing bounds to the bottom of the stairs. I was convinced I’d have no 'phone left by the time I got down there, but there it was, translucent blue back intact and still working happily.

What can I say? I’ve now had it for over 9 months and, well, Fairphone functioning fine. I don’t think I’m going to be needing a new cover just yet. :smiley:

17 Likes

The first batch of phones with the new cover is sold-out, so if someone orders now, the phone will arrive until 6th January. (Orders before 10th November will still ship until 16th December.)

6 Likes

There’s been a lot of speculating and reasoning and some answers about the new covers, but I think it would be helpful to put together a few points about them. I hope I have concluded correctly and am just listing what I think is known so far. I’m trying to make this as easy as possible to confirm or not, ideally by @Douwe if one of his reincarnations finds the time :wink:

1. Both slim and regular cases now consist of two pieces: A (black) rim and a back cover (various colours)
  2. Both slim and regular cases now consist of a different material than before.
  3. Slim and regular back covers only differ in shape (well, and colours, of course).
  4. The regular cases currently (21 November 2016) offered in the shop are still the “old” ones, i.e. connected one-piece covers and still made from the original material.
14 Likes

Almost correct.
The old cover was two materials, hold together and thus in effect; one piece.
The new backcover are two pieces:

• A black rim to clicks onto the front of the Fairphone 2.
  • A colored back that clicks onto the back and snaps together with the front rim.

No, the regular case has not changed. The new cover is… well… new… :slight_smile:

They differ in many ways: shape, thickness, way you click them onto the Fairphone 2, color and way of production.

Correct.

edit: I misread Urs question earlier and gave a wrong answer; the regular case has not changed.

18 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, @Douwe! Could you add a word on the expected availability of single slim covers from the shop? My old “fat” one is falling apart (again) and I don’t want to have it exchanged, as I guess the exchanged one wouldn’t last very long either. So I consider production and shipping of one more “fat” cover a waste of ressources and of your money if I will buy a slim one anyway.

Cheers!

1 Like

I wouldn’t exclude the possibility to get a slim cover in exchange without having to pay for it. At least you could give it a try and ask support for this.

You are right, I’ll try that once they are available
But I guess they won’t send me one before the other customers have received their phones. In the meantime ,I guess , I can only get one in the old design which will most likely break and have to be replaced again.

Since they changed the material of the old cover too, there is hope that they won’t break anymore.

1 Like

When my blue translucent cover fell apart I was told that I could not exchange it for a new slim cover because they have a different price. I even offered to pay the difference and wait until they will be available, but they did not want to make this deal. Let’s see how long the exchange cover will last and what their opinion is by then.

1 Like

That’s too bad. :confused: Did they tell you what a slim cover will cost?

No, as they didn’t know when they will be available as individual items. In the beginning the new cover will only be available for newly shipped phones and only later they will be available as an accessory.

1 Like

Too bad again… :wink: But thanks!

Well, you did see that the complete phone costs 6 Euros more with a slim cover than with a regular cover, didn’t you? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:blush: No, I didn’t realize it, as I didn’t switch back to the old covers when looking at the new slim covers in the shop. It’s a pity, I would have loved to spend 6 or even 10 EUR to “upgrade” to the new cover.

1 Like

ups! :blush: nope, I did not realize this as well. Thanks for pointing this out!

1 Like

Yes, I’ve seen it and I really consider it to be good value for money if it stands up to it’s promises. I’d happily pay the difference!

1 Like

Hello everyone,
maybe I am repeating the question but I could not find a clear answer to this following the discussion. Will it be possible to put the new slim cover on an “old” Fairphone 2 with the “fat” cover? And will the new covers be sold as well by Fairphone?

Hi!
Of course! They are made for the FP2 (the phone it self stays the same). You can chose which one you put on.
They will be available soon …

4 Likes