New FP2 Motherboard

If it’s highly portable instead the performance doesn’t need to be really great.

I have a 5" touchscreen Windows 10 thingy (Gole1, also with Atom) lying around, which really came in quite handy from time to time … but then it has a rather normal set of ports for connectivity, so for a Windows 10 smartphone something like the Targus dock should better work :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Is USB Type-C (MHL) a possibility, too?

3 Likes

First hit in DuckDuckGo:

They are in active development and have an Oreo RC released earlier this month.

2 Likes

Kinda,
i can of course make the motherboard ready to accept USB C, I am even planing to use a TI 4A charger, but the bottom module needs to support USB C.

5 Likes

If the need for anything regarding software development/support arises, I’m sure that the community devs can help out.

4 Likes

Here is a screenshot that shows the progess I have already made

12 Likes

I have even enough space to include wireless chargin, with the copper coil sitting ontop of the battary. What do you think of that idea.

12 Likes

Generally I think this is a very positive yet ambitious approach.

If the new MB would miss something like this (after having it in my FP2) which I see as essential (maybe not only for my expectations) I would not buy it.
But since I am no friend of Intel anyway…

Many users seem to like this easy way of charging, but how about the even quicker coming up of the pay services via NFC?? Any ideas about this and would both Qi & NFC be possible?

4 Likes

Dude, this is extremely awesome!
For me, the second SIM is a must (as I am using the second SIM for work) and the NFC would be desirable, though I don’t know yet if I would really use it.
With respect to software, I am not using windows at all anymore and would really prefer android on my phone (mainly because Microsoft is syncing al lot of data with their cloud services).

Anyhow, I really like this initiative! Will definitely follow it.

8 Likes

You have my attention sir!

4 Likes

I am definitely into it. For me dual sim is essential, SD is not necessary if the MB already contains 128Gb in one partition or in two large partitions (not 8+120 or something like that).
Wireless charging and NFC are desirable. So are Android and Linux support (Ubuntu Edge or other). I understand that native Android would be problematic with the apps in Google Play in x86 but a good Android emulator could do the job.

2 Likes

To me a microSD slot is absolutely indispensable. I do not want to be dependent of cloud access to have my complete music collection on my phone. Right now I’m using a 200 GB card, and it already has less than 25 GB left on it.

8 Likes

I agree, not only this, but some users here had to experience loosing data access to their encrypted sd card formatted as internal storage once the phone/display etc. failed and the direct access by the device was unavailable.
Having fixed internal memory only no matter if 64GB or 512GB and no sd card slot would always require to keep an up to date external backup somewhere.

Who would want something like this? This is FP2 specific and many other manufacturers rather tend to omit sd card options to push users on any cloud storage path.

2 Likes

thanks for all your feedback. Sadly i have to a rather slow LTE chipsert with only 10mbts transferspeed but a fast wifi chipset to compensate for that. Sorry but LTE chipsets are really big.

I thought about it a bit and it came to my mind as I used my old Galaxy Tab 3 which is also working with an Intel Atom SOC. https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_3_10_1_p5220-5491.php
This device is ridiculously slow. Of course it is released in 2013, but my 2011 Galaxy S II was even on Lineage OS 14 lightning fast compared to the Tab 3.
As Samsung released the Tab 4 it does not came with an Intel SOC. Also Motorola had a phone with Intel chip afaIk.
The question is: Why is no Android device using an Intel chip anymore?

1 Like

Blockquote |Platform|OS|Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)|
| — | — | — |
|Chipset|Intel Atom Z2560|
|CPU|Dual-core 1.6 GHz|
|GPU|PowerVR SGX544MP2|

Blockquote
The samsung Tab III uses a CPU thats 6 generations back and therefore a lot slower and consumes a lot more power. The new intel CPUs are manufactured in a 14nm process and have 4 instead of 2 Cores with a higher clock frequency. Newer Intel CPUs have also a way stornger GPU. The performence can hardly even compared to ARM based CPUs, but it’s pritty fast. It also got dual channel memmory, which none of the SOCs with layered RAM has. Also the Intel CPU got x86 for Windows (Or linux or even android, I don’t want to ignore the Windows haters this time). It also has got a large number of periferal interfaces like I2C or SPI.
This makes the CPU along with the quite low price tag of only 40 Euros suitable for such a design. Also the fact the datasheet is open to everyone is a strong point. For the ones that are interested here is the 300+ pages datasheet of the Intel x7-z8700 series

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/atom-z8000-datasheet-vol-1.pdf

1 Like

Do you know a device which runs Android on an actual Atom processor? I just like to have an idea how the OS performance will be for your project.
And I am sure that will help you catching the people in for your awesome project.

2 Likes

There are no Andorid Devices with this processor, but still Android is possible.
The most popular deveice that uses this CPU is The GPD Pocket (1.Generation)
I have also found this article, sadly it is written in german.

Hm, well that is a valuable point. Good that you mention it. So actually the FP2 has LTE support. If I get it right you say a more advanced, quicker LTE would take up to much space?
Is this general? How about other devices with faster LTE, is this due to different, more slim compatible chipsets or the direct integration in the SoC?

Well there is 5G somewhere coming around but even 4G is not yet available everywhere and for all as it’s commonly advertised. I think many users in general are not yet too much satisfied with the overall mobile reception and performance. So as a minimum for a new motherboard at least all what we have in our FP2 should come with it, but to keep it a bit more future proof it should be more advanced and also provide/support new techniques which are just coming up.
10Mbits raw are enough for streaming full HD cabled.
But on a mobile phone this would be wireless and also more apps at once would use the connection simultaneously limiting the bandwidth for streaming video content.
I am afraid it would not suffice the needs.

Wifi is nice, but not all users like this option as fallback and it highly depends on where you are if not at home.

3 Likes

I use a socketet IC for the 4G, so the IC is userexchangeble. This is the reason why the fairphone could be used in any country. There are Chipsets that fit the socket that enable fast 4G, but not in Europe (yet), but if there will be a module with high speed LTE for Europe anyone can exchange it with just a tool for the LGA socket beeing neccesary (a paperclip would probably even work fine)

3 Likes