[ORDERS CLOSED} New Fairphone Bottom module with USB-C port for Fairphone 2

That’s why it’s reversed :wink:

4 Likes

OK, that explains the toilet seat :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I need to get some informations from differnet FP owners.
If you could open you FP2, take out your bottom module and take a picture of the lower area, where the bottom module was, I make a new revision of the module and also do some minor changes to the PCB and I also want to change the housing a bit for stability reasons

3 Likes

I would like to test the new revision if you have it ready.

1 Like

I have a new revision of the housing already, but the new PCB will take at least 2 weeks if not more, because the shipping takes quite some time and I have to do a complete redesign. I will also now implement better filtering and a new connector. I already have the connectors and they are great. They are expensive (3x compared to the old ones), but they’ll be worth every cent

7 Likes

Sorry for the lack of sharpness, I might take a new shot if you can specify what you are primarily interested in to see.

2 Likes

Can you pop in a module and send another picure ?

Put the bottom module back in? Or bottom module on its own outside?

Yes, I’m interested in how it fits (the original).
It seems to be different from my FP as I have one of the first batch

3 Likes

Thx, I might get it to fit thinghter now, putting less strain on the connector making it last longer.
Btw. currently designing the new PCB :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m still interested to test it! :sunflower:

2 Likes

It’s likely that there still be some minor changes, but if everything goes as planned the PCBs will be ordered by sunday.
The color is likely going to be black

12 Likes

How could I order one of these?

Am currently testing it still, but then you can order it from me directly, via PM

4 Likes

Hello dear community,

Some big changes have happened.
I have put this project on hold for quite some time because of other projects.
I have finally found some time to refine my design and to perfect my 3d printing process. I have printed some modules with different settings and found a perfect profile. I now use a 0.2 mm nozzle and a 0.08 mm layer hight. The 3d printer is also upgraded with a new mainboard and extruder, but the improvements from that are marginal.
I’ve also done some changes to the design :

• “dent” in the module is closed to the original and leaves more material, thus making a stronger part

• Some minor changes to the outer shape of the module, making it closer to the original

• Top piece is now a single part with support underneath it, making it stronger

• The two halves are now no longer press-fit, they are screwed together, making it feel more solid and insuring a good connection of the speaker and vibration motor. I’ve ordered some M1.4 inserts from china, but nothing arrived. The screws (M1.4x3) are screwed into the plastic, not perfect, but good enough for them no easily hold the two halves togher against the pressure of the contact springs.

• Some changes to the design to fit the new board.

I’m aiming for perfection and I’m pretty close, but I’m still improving. When Fairphones stock of modules will be sold out, mine will be the only one left, so ease of use and reliability are big points so that everyone can keep the FP2 as long as possible. I’m trying to make the transition from a DIY project to a final product that can be sold to regular FP2 owners.
Here are some photos from the module. You can barely see it is 3d printed, it could just as well be injection molded.

Leonhard Bandilla

22 Likes

That looks fantastic, Leo. Sign me up for one (or two). Have you been using it? Any notable difference in sound or vibration?

And will you design a USB-A bottom module so that @Stanzi can make it last longer than a couple of months?

2 Likes

Sign me up too, pls!

2 Likes

@robbert.f
grafik

@Leo_TheCrafter I’d actually also like a USB-C module, for the extra future-proofness :wink:

2 Likes

Sign me up too, please. And, thanks for the great job!

2 Likes