New Fairphone 2 camera

thank you for the detail explaination. i am very bad in making photos anyway, as you can see in my examples, so i would like it when the device is working normally, like it did before the new modules. but thank you for all the infomation. i will play around when i am not satifistied with the quality of the picture.

@AnotherElk
thanks, i already installed that and nothing changed with the stock camera app. the front camera is still extremly dark.

i am really kinda pissed, i paid 85 for the cameras and shipping and it got worse. before it was easy, just the stock app and i could do normal good photos, i wanted to have sharper ones, now they pictures are too dark and i have to use an additional app. i kinda feel robbed by fairphone. and i will think twice to buy another “updated” module.
thank you two for the advices

If you’ve had the modules for less than two weeks, you should be able to return them for a no-questions asked full refund under normal consumer law. This is also part of the Fairphone Terms and Condition of Sale:

3.5 You are entitled to cancel your purchase within fourteen (14) days from the day the Product was delivered to you, without explanation and without incurring any penalties.

You’ll need to contact support to do this. They probably won’t respond within the 14 day period, but as long as you clearly indicate that you are within the 14 day period and want to cancel your purchase and ask for instructions on how to return the modules, they should honour the request.

if you read my other comments, you would know, that my fairphone doesnt work with the old modules anymore. also the cameras seem fine, but it seems a software problem.

Yup, forgot about that. This could be a new issue, as people have gone back to the old module before, apparently without problems (e.g. here). Perhaps a reset of the camera app is required to clear settings that are incompatible with the old module. Worst case would be the devs having made changes that require a clean install of the OS to revert back.

Did you aplly the latest update?

update 18.01.1

1 Like

ofc i believe there are cases without this issue. but that doesnt affect me sadly. i would like to know what is different between me and the ones without the issue. but i have no problem with the torch or flash light. it is the picture of the screen and the result i get what bothers me. too dark. i cleared the cache and deactivate/activate it but no difference.
@Lidwien
like i said, yes
https://postimg.org/image/6xc963u0r/
front camera stock camera app:
https://postimg.org/image/h7eo5derf/

it’s quite interesting that nobody has reported the issue I had with my front camera module so far: My new front camera module was not taking pictures that were too dark (as often reported in this thread), but instead my front camera pictures were much too bright.

So i then found this post #155 within this thread, that lead me to the settings of the pre installed default camera app, where I could adjust the settings of the front camera from 1.9 MP to 5 MP. And hurra, the front camera was taking pictures that just look perfectly fine now! :slight_smile:

However, what makes me wondering, is the fact that I had installed the latest update 18.01.1 which should actually fix this problem. But obviously, this has not worked for me, so the fix did not set the front camera resolution from 1.9MP to 5MP.

Hope this helps others too :wink:

2 Likes

great, this helped me fix my front camera issue!! :slight_smile: thanks so much!

1 Like

I’ve had a FP2 for a couple of years now. I’ve enjoyed taking shots which have the subject close-up in the foreground, like an apple blossom and the background defocussed.
Since getting the new camera module, I really struggle to get it to focus on the foreground objects. It was hit and miss before but now it just won’t do it.
I’ve tried using OpenCamera as well.
Is anyone else having this problem?
Or does anyone have any tips?
Cheers.

Is your Fairphone OS up-to-date?

Yes, I just ran the lastest update. FP2-GMS-18.03.1
But this has been going on a while.

OK, then you might want to go through Fairphone’s Troubleshooting Tool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could try this … voiding the warranty, mind …

Thanks I’ll give this a try.

And then I’ll try this! Thanks.

Hi, Does anyone have a direct comparison of the old vs new front facing camera? I’m considering upgrading for video calling. I had a look through this thread but couldn’t see anything. Many thanks.

I took a photo with my fairphone2 with the “old” camera module (in the evening, with the room light on); then I changed the camera module (quite easy following the instruction at https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003783546), and I try to make almoust the same photo with the new camera. I have Fairphone OS 18.04.1 and just used the std camera app. Hope you can get the two picture here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ajt3K2VMqiNBmrU86

Hope this helps

Paola

2 Likes
1 Like

Thank you @paolaletardi and @AnotherElk. Those photos were very helpful :+1:. I’ll be ordering one shortly :blush:.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.