New "Apps Orange" in the latest Fairphone update

Hi,
What is “Apps Orange”, the new system app installed with the latest Fairphone update?
Anything to do with the Fairphone-Orange partnership or not a all?

2 Likes

If you’re with Orange yourself, I guess that would qualify as a “special operator App” …

2 Likes

I am not :slight_smile:

Pretty sure that’s part of the Orange / Fairphone partnership. I don’t see a Orange app on my Fairphone. Maybe yours is “misidentified” as running on or sold through Orange?

Edit: Correction, its on my phone too.

2 Likes

One reason I chose fairphone was the absence of operator apps.
I’m unhappy with having an unwanted app from my intrusive operator embedded in my phone…

1 Like

This here implies you have to confirm before the App gets installed…

2 Likes

No, it is on my FP2 too - without asking anything before it was installed - but the App is not activated. I could activate it but I can’t delete it :angry:.

1 Like

OK, I need to correct myself. It’s on my Fairphone as well. It’s only 5MB, deactivated and has no permissions, so it’s no deal breaker.

This could be a bug, since I never used an Orange SIM in my phone, they don’t even offer their service here in Germany.

If I imagine there will be other cooperations… I don’t want to end up with a Orange, 1&1, Phone Coop, Telekom and Vodafone App on my phone ;-).

@anon12454812 @Douwe Can you tell us something about tha

4 Likes

You can have such Apps in a limited fashion anyway via SIM application toolkit.
Those Apps have limited functionality because of the very limited storage space on SIM cards (currently).

If you for instance have a Telekom SIM card in Germany, you most likely have such an App named “SIM-Toolkit” or “Special”, which offers some SMS based (I guess, I didn’t try) news and search services as well as querying account info and redoing the initial SMS, MMS and internet configurations (which really might be handy, that’s why I didn’t try to uninstall it).

Admittedly, full-blown automatically installed carrier Apps are something else and from my point of view so unwanted I wonder why Fairphone would even bother with this. Could be money :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for explaining, this is not what I meant anyways, I was imagining further cooperation and all of these apps preinstalled ;-).

Hi -

we wrote an article to shed some light on this :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Rick
Product Team

5 Likes

Ok, so it is in fact the suspected provider-app.
Though we all hope for Fairphone to get the phone in the shops of all European Providers, at least I would not want one app for all of them filling the storage of my phone. I guess it’s part of a contract with Orange and so far it’s of no concern to me.

For the future: maybe there is a way to at least just offer apps for the providers identifiable by the SIM cards?

6 Likes

Will there be more apps like this one in future updates? Like… for other providers?
Is the orange-app open source?
Is the orange-app also included in the FP-OOS resp. are there any plans to include it in the future?

3 Likes

The app is stored in the system partition so it is not wasting any (usable) storage.

1 Like

True, but the more system-apps there are, the larger the system partition has to be, or does it have a fixed size? In that case maybe, but still that space could be put to better use. :wink:

1 Like

So I like the Lineage Os the more!

It does. The system partition is 2 GB in size, only about half of that is currently being used. And you can’t do anything useful with the free space.

5 Likes

For the curious ones… Exodus Privacy’s report for Orange et moi

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 182 days. New replies are no longer allowed.