Near field (proximity) sensor reacts slowly/hangs up calls

I have my proximity sensor problems without having a screen foil. Will see if the problem increases now that I apply my newly bought protector.

Hi,

I have the same issue, and it still occurs with the 1.8 update : in my case, the screen doesnā€™t always shutdown when I put the phone on my ear, and my ear triggers actions : hanging up, going into menusā€¦ Itā€™s very annoying since sometimes it drop the calls !

1 Like

No hope for a fix for the proximity sensor? Would be interesting to hear if anyone is working on it. It is the only serious bug I have seen on the Fairphone. For me it makes the phone useless if I wasnā€™t using the screen lock app.

BUT, the screen lock app is not perfect! If I need to type during call, I can disable Screen Lock but if I turn it on again it turns into permanent lock during that call. I canā€™t even hung up when the call is finished and have to wait for the other person to hung up. That should be blamed on the app, not Fairphone but beeing so dependent on an app need it to be bug free.

Fairphone, this is not good.

1 Like

For me the proximity sensor issue is also a serious bug. I have disconnected phone calls very often. Due to this failure, I have sent-in my FP1 3x for warrenty repair. The proximity sensor has been checked and never a problem has been detected.

Surprisingly, the support team never told my to use a ā€œcall screen lockā€ app. After finally receiving an exchange fairphone, now a FP1U, the same behaviour continued. It obviously is a user bug and depends on the specific phoning behaviour.

Of course @Bengt is right, this is an issue which should not occur massively in normal use. At least, fairphone should offer their own app without any in-app-purchase or convenience issues, like in the suggested app ā€œCall Screen Lockā€ and reported by Bengt.

@Bengt: Your described issue of not beeing able to hang up should be solved with the the setting ā€œOn/Off ends callā€. You can alter this by going to Settings > Accessability as proposed by @Stefan

@Lovisan @van @bengt @jpjacobs
I was hoping that a screen foil without a cutout for the proximity sensor would improve my situation and the sensor would be less sensitive. I bought a Vikuiti DQCT130. I can assure everybody that the screen foil has no effect what so ever on the behaviour of the proximity sensor. Everything works as without screen foil.

Added Note: My Fairphone runs on Kola Nut 1.8., but the proximity sensor problems have been noticable on all version since the first OS.

2 Likes

This is also still a problem for me, even on 1.8.2 Beta Fairphone OS. I am not sure this can be solved by software, i hoped it can at least be tuned.
I wanā€™t to add that i know a lot of other, mostly more cheap phones, with the same problem. I seems there certainly are different qualities and better and worse positions so let us keep the device engineers at Fairphone aware of this issue! The next, self-developed device gives Fairphone a chance to address such annoying usability ā€œbugsā€ and i hoped they are hearing us! Are you @anon90052001? :wink:

1 Like

Noted by me, and it may be useful if @anon12454812 also hears you :smile:

1 Like

@ben in the thread Fairphone instability wrote " I can say it got better with time, i seem to subconsciously holding it right now though i still think the proximity sensor is the worst part of the current FP. I experienced it works better with shorter hair tough the idea of getting a haircut for a phone to work is pretty strange :-). What helped me was turning the screen off manually by shortly pressing the power button as soon i got a connection when making calls. Annoyingly but effective. Or try to cover the sensor (small circle directly left of the earspeaker at all times."

For me turning off the screen manually works for me. Now I can complete a call.

1 Like