Names disappearing in text messaging

When I shut down the phone completely and turn the power back on again, the text message loses the names of my contacts and shows only their numbers. I have to restart it to get the names associated with the numbers, and even then not all are restored. What is happening to cause this?

Hi Cathal,
Mine shows the numbers at first, but after a few seconds they become names. When I scroll quickly to find an old message, it happens again. Not sure if my issue is related to yours, but it appears that it can’t keep up. Which is ridiculous since it’s new and I have all my contacts saved directly to the phone (not synced with google or exchange or even facdbook). Never had that with my old iPhones (which are too slow to run facebook now, but still keep my texts organized), or my little old Nokias from the 2000’s.
I do have XPrivacy installed, which often gives unexpected results. I don’t see how that would affect it, but one never knows.

Cathal no-reply@fairphone.com wrote:

When I shut down the phone completely and turn the power back on again, the text message loses the names of my contacts and shows only their numbers. I have to restart it to get the names associated with the numbers, and even then not all are restored. What is happening to cause this?

Posted by Cathal on 10/20/2014

I’ve moved this to the help category initially to see if anyone can offer any suggestions on why this might be happening and some fixes/workarounds

One question I have is where you contacts are stored? Are they on the SIM, your phone or are you using google contacts etc?

It would probably be the SIM card because it contains the names and numbers I had on my old phone. I have never chosen to use Google Contacts, though it is entirely possible that it has been activated unintentionally.

If the contacts are stored on the SIM it may be that it’s taking a while for the SIM to initiate fully. It may be worth trying to import your contacts from the SIM and storing them on your phone.

• Go to All Apps (from the side Quick Access menu), then People app. Press the Settings button. Then, Import/export.

• Select to import from your SIM and then click next

• Select to import to your Phone and click next

Hey! I have a similar problem as Cathal. My contacts are also not imported on my phone but saved on my SIM card.
Problem: Sometimes on random occasions (but especially during charging) my phone forgets all my SIM contacts. When this problem occurs it stays like that. The only “effective” way I know, is restarting my FP. And even that doesn’t garantee it’s fixed. Recently I noticed that this problem is becoming more frequent and the ‘forgetting periodes’ are longer (= more restarting times).
Are there people with the same problem?