My FP2: 6 years and counting

Hello my fellow FP2 users, how is your phone doing?
I whish you a merry Xmas and a happy new year

Next round for the FP2, I kindly ask for a new badge

21 Likes

Using mine since Feb2018 mainly with LineageOS (presently on LOS 17.1)
Apart from the known problem with the proximity sensor and occasional reboots when shutting down all is still fine.

5 Likes

I still have my pre-ordered FP2, but using it only as a backup device now

3 Likes

So do you remember when you got it? Still December 2015? Or January 2016?

1 Like

My 6 YO FP2 have some problems with the camera photo definition and some casual reboot. Next years could be change for a new FP4.

Wishes

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Anything that is not working in the fairphone project

I use mine since 6 years and it becomes slower and slower, not only because of the Update to Android 11 (with Lineage), also because there are apps which need the bluetooth and WLAN functions to run all the day (for example the Corona warning app).

Meanwhile I close all the apps regulary if the Phone becomes too slow, so I survive.
I would like to go another year with my FP2, but don’t know how long I can endure the slow tempo and the short lasting of my akku (less than one day).

5 Likes

Perhaps you could try a kickstart. To reset the software of the battery.

3 Likes

I have got a Fairphone 2 since january 2016. I have many random reboots. I am decieved by the stability of the smartphone.

2 Likes

Yes, unfortunately I also have these random reboots, this is for me the biggest weakness of the FP and I am very annoyed every time over it

If the phone was stable initially it may just require a factory reset - save any data before you wipe it.

1 Like

No, this is probably due to the firmware (edit: or the kernel) and to the update to A7 that was done without QCom support. It touches all OSes AFAIK, and it’s nothing a factory reset could solve.
I’m experimenting some solutions by downgrading the firmware to see if it changes anything and will report. But I think not much is to do, I’ve been living with this for the 2 years and a half I’ve been owning my FP2.

(and let’s try to stop the off-topic here)

4 Likes

I use FP2 since July 2015, changed the battery third time since then. Everything fine but increasing number of random reboots every day become more and more a pain in the ass :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe you ordered in July 2015 - or do you mean in 2016? The first FP2 were delivered in December 2015.
Great you’re still using it and I’m sorry about the reboots!

3 Likes

Sorry, yes you’re right, I orderd in July!

5 Likes

I just had the sad realisation that I will probably be checking out before reaching the 6 year mark in April or May. I just received my FP4, and am very impressed with the improvement. It’s a lot faster, the quadrupling of RAM means there’s no more “flushing out one tab in my browser when I use the second”, and I haven’t had a reboot in a day now!
… however, my FP2 is still in use for the foreseeable future because my UK carrier (Three) doesn’t support eSIM yet :angry: Gave them quite the bollocking yesterday, they’d better hurry up and join the 21st century. And in the meanwhile they should really really remove their “eSIM is hear” webpage, it’s very misleading to claim they support it when they don’t. Until they get with the times I’m forced to keep the FP2 fired up so I can use my second sim too. So it’s almost retiring, but not quite yet.

7 Likes

Well I’ll contact 3 and ask them if they hold off until June so you can get a clear 6 year F2 badge. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Please don’t! :joy: I guess I’m lucky that Apple is repotedly removing the SIM slot from the iPhone 14 in September, so Three will have to either support eSIM or stop supporting iPhones. But they’d better just launch it tomorrow; they’ve been trialling it since 2020. Surely they can just enable this feature.

4 Likes

I am here too! Still using happily a FP2. I don’t remember when I got it, though…

2 Likes

Maybe two years ago? :wink: [SOLD] Verkaufe Fairphone 2 (weiĂź/blau/transparentes Cover) DE - (English description below) - #5 by BrFabian

5 Likes