My FP2: 4 years and counting

Mein FP2 läuft jetzt auch 4 Jahre … und ich hoffe, es läuft auch noch in die 5-Jahres-Zielgerade ein. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I received my FP2 on February 23, 2016 and it is still working well as my daily driver. I’d like to have the “4 Years Fairphone 2” badge as well.

7 Likes

Granted. :woman_genie:

4 Likes

That was fast - thanks :smile:

2 Likes

Another “4 years and counting” user here:
Ordered mine 25.10.2015, first use on 09.02.2016. Currently running LOS 16.0 nightly 05.03.2020 (Thanks chrmhoffmann).
Wife’s FP2 (bought 2nd hand from an unhappy FP2 user :wink: has been up & running for 3 years. Currntly running (rooted) 19.11.2

6 Likes

Hi all, I’m new to the forum but have had a FP2 for a long time. My FP2 was born (delivered) in September 2015 so I’m nearly 5 years now. It was great up till about three months ago and now I think it’s really aging… I am really sad but it’s coming up to 5 years and I think that might be the end. :’-(
I might need a FP2 loss support group if I have to part with my FP. I’ve had it longer than I’ve been married! Anyway, if anyone has a FP2 this old and experienced this slowing down and has overcome it I would be interested to know. I have already:
-replaced battery
-removed apps
-freed memory (3 GB)
-replaced other bits and bobs
-limited usage e.g. no music apps, no games,
Thanks!

3 Likes

What exactly does this mean in practice?
I would mention fairphoneangels, but … social distancing.

1 Like

It’s just slowed…right…down.
Takes a good while for any app to open, and for example if I want to write a message/comment, the keyboard takes a while to appear. It’s a little irritating if I need to rely on Google maps or if I need to make a quick phonecall. I missmoments as my camera takes ages to open.
I tell myself that it’s a test for me not to be so impatient and reliant on my phone!
I’ll look #fairphoneangels up but yes, social distancing…
Thanks for asking :slight_smile:

That’s inconvenient, but this luckily sounds like software would be the culprit, not hardware.
A factory reset should help with that …

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001610926-How-to-make-a-Factory-reset-on-Fairphone-2-

And if this doesn’t help, you can even get more serious …

2 Likes

Hi Thanks,
I’ve done quite a few factory resets and have to restart the phone every two days or so.
I will definitely take a look at the installing from scratch link you shared. Thanks very much, you’re very kind to help.
Best regards,
Naffy

1 Like

Just make sure that after a factory reset you don’t “only” restore the Android backup as this may bring back everything which slows down your device.

3 Likes

4 years and still working well. replaced battery and upgraded camera.

3 Likes

The first FP2s were delivered in December 2015, so I think you confused something.

2 Likes

Thanks TobiasF- you are right I was looking at emails for when I placed the order and paid. It was probably not delivered till the release date now that you remind me. It was the first 17,750 FP2s :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you might have treated your phone slightly better than me! I have had to change the bottom module a few times, screen X1, both cameras (but that was because I wanted to) and case about 5 times!
I am really happy with my Fairphone. It’s meant that I have been conscious about spending too much time on my phone or being too reliant on a phone. Will be sad if I have to replace it.

1 Like

I had pretty similar experiences with my loved fp2! I just ordered my third bottom module because the microphone broke for a second time. i guess i drop the phone to often, sometimes with charging cable plugged. but im also happy that its still useable and software updates are provided regularily. best phone i ever had!

2 Likes

I got my shipping notification on the 19th of April, 2016. Which I believe means I officially have my FP2 running for over 4 years now! Normally I’m not really a sucker for badges, but this one I’d happily flaunt and be smug about! :wink:

6 Likes

I’m also at over 4 years now - got mine in February 2016 after the crowdfunding. I upgraded the back camera module and then had to replace the upgraded version once, since it broke. I switched to a slim cover a couple years ago and other than that, all still original.

Four year badge please? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got my FP2 in the course of May 2016 (just before Fairphone announced its milestone of 100,000 Fairphone owners).
Only part that needed replacement so far has been the original case, of which the rubber-like rim fell apart; current transparent slim case still holding, albeit with some duct tape covering small cracks in one corner (@urs_lesse: bottom left one indeed, that is, screen down).
My first & only smartphone; never regretted my choice. Also very happy with this great forum.

5 Likes

Also clinging to my 4yr old FP2 first booted on 18th February 2016.
Similar signs of ageing, pixelated screen whilst scrolling, slow app starting, slow response if too many apps are let running. Two replaced bottom modules, two outer cases and permanently in 3G mode as it self reboots too often when using the GPS and 4G LTE. Was offered a complete swap by Fairphone when reported this within the 2-year warranty but I couldn’t find another loaner phone for the 2wk turn around at the time so just stopped using 4G.
Was sick of my iPhone 3s getting slower, unchargable and unusable when I read about Fairphone, By comparison my FP2 is slow but still usable as long as you treat it with a great deal of patience and care. Hoping the next software upgrade will breath some life into the old dog yet.
Would love a 4yr badge if I can get one.
Thanks all,
Ralph

4 Likes