My FP1: Six years and counting! | Who is still using their FP1?

More than 6 years now.

Light user

10 Likes

Hi Baaje, I made your post into a new topic now that the first people have their FP1 for six years (I need to wait another month myself, though).

2 Likes

“6 years of Fairphone 1” badge for @Baaje, please :slight_smile:

@IT-Team can you make that happen?

6 Likes

My Fairphone 1 is now in use by my partner and still going strong.
With many thanks to @z3ntu for making android 4.4.4 possible.

8 Likes

Hello, I got my Fairphone 1 First Edition, 1st batch of crowdfunding, ordered summer 2013 on January 15, 2014, so it’s six years old today. (new badge please!).
I still use the second battery and the second (faulty) hard case. It can’t read the sd card any more but I use it for internet and emails and of course for listening to music and the radio on my morning round. I even take pictures with it (that obviously can’t be stored on the external card any more), not too good quality, but okay for documentation. Also, I can’t use the backup/storage app any more (that apparently is not available for fp3) and I love the size, it’s perfect! Also I like the background colour that changes from blue to green to red to orange depending on the battery (also not available for FP3). It’s a shame some functions don’t work any more and it’s a great pity that some of the super FP1 features and apps did not make it to fp3.
6 years today, champagne for everyone!

12 Likes

My wife’s FP1 (1st batch, shipment date: January 9, 2014) is still fully functional - thanks to @z3ntu’s Android 4.4.4 and a new battery from China. Some apps don’t work under 4.4.4, so she swapped it for a FP3, but I still use it as a media player, calculator and to control our robo vacuum cleaner.

4 Likes

mine is “FP1U” (aka “second Batch”) and still working fine. First accu! The only Problem is that more and more of the apps I have installed are not supported any more! (most bitter: the app of My local public transport company. I think that updating from Android 4.2 to 4.4.4 won’t help much, would it? (I mean, this is very old, too and newer versions are not available nor is a different OS like lineage?)

2 Likes

Which one is that?

A couple of weeks ago I saw a post by some FP1 user that Twitter now no longer works on 4.2 but it still does on 4.4 (checked it myself). So there is at least one app where upgrading to 4.4.4 helps (for now).

1 Like

Just tell me which app you need and I will see if it works on a Fairphone 1 with android 4.4.4.

3 Likes

I received my FP First edition January 15, 2014 and am still loving and using it (with the second battery). Sure, I can’t use all apps but most things work percectly well just with the browser.
Hope to make it to the 10 years’ badge :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’m also still using my Batch 1 FP1 from the crowdfunding as my everyday phone. Besides having changed the battery a couple of times all parts are original. It now has a diagonal crack in the screen that I managed to make last summer during my yearly volunteering at the Roskilde Festival but it doesn’t affect the functionality at all and the crack hasn’t developed since it got made after 5 years of usage.

3 Likes

6 years since January 14. And still perfect in my hands.

5 Likes

Once a proud owner of the FP1 (series 1) I left the phone alone some time ago.
It first went to my wife, as she doesn’t use a smartphone extensively, running 4.4.4 and as the FP2 was too expensive for me, I bought a LG G3 for a couple of tenners. The advantage of the LG G3: flagship phone with replaceable battery and very good support from LineageOS (factory image = Android 6, LineageOS = Android 9 with up-to-date security patch and Android 10 on the horizon).
After some time the PH1 wasn’t good enough for my wife anymore (too many apps became incompatible), so the next step was to pass the LG G3 to her and to buy an LG G4 for myself (same advantages as mentioned above). This was because the FP3 wasn’t up to my standards (no OIS and screen brightness too high).

Long story short: I love the philosophy behind FairPhone, and my current part of taking care of the environment (phone wise) is to extend the life of old phones with years and years.

BTW: If anybody is interested in my PH1-s1 (in perfect condition, running Android 4.4.4 with 2 2100mAh batteries): just sent me a PM.

1 Like

I just updated my FP1 to Android 4.4.4 - and after some work, I am happy with it! I will surely use it for (hopefully) another 1 or 2 years!

5 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: FP1U USB port broken

A post was merged into an existing topic: FP1U – USB port broken

A post was merged into an existing topic: FP1U – USB port broken

I am also using the FP1 first batch of crowdfunding edition with the second battery. (Badge please). The battery cover is holded with washi tape and I’ve just repaired the front camera: the pictured were blured: the glue of the camera cover has molten and smeared in the inside. I’m just discovering there’s a port of android 4.4 working, I will have a look because many apps are not working anymore, like Signal and Shazam.

6 Likes

Hi,

I am still using my Fairphone 1 First Edition. (Still convinced that one should not buy a new celluar phone every 5 years :slight_smile: ) Unfortunately more and more websites I cannot open any more. How do you handle that? Any recommendation which browser one can use?. Also, since a few weeks I have to empty the cache every two days as it is indicated, that the storge is full, once I opend a couple of the websites which still work.

Volker

4 Likes

As a browser for the FP1 I would recommend Firefox, which is available for Android 4.4.4. I don’t know if it’s also available for lower versions, but it does a good job here.