My FP1: four years and counting!

My wife’s FP1 (like mine one of the first batch) is her daily phone still, with just a new (generic) battery lately.
My own FP1 has a new display, as I happened to drop it three times in a row on the concrete, until it finally gave in and broke. The battery has been replaced by a geneic one lately as well.
As my first batch FP2 shows a colour-pixeled display after being dropped as well, I am back to my FP1 as my regular daily phone.
We sure will keep using the phones until they become unuseable or broken beyond repairability.

5 Likes

FP1 second batch 2013 here

2 Likes

My FP1 is also 4 years old. I changed the battery once and everything works rather well.
Unfortunately, many apps I use are not functioning anymore because the Android version is too old.
I can live without the apps from the national railways, the local public transportation or most airlines, but recently, BankID, the Swedish app that is required to login on any online banking system and on all public administration websites (as well as many other services), warned me that my phone will not be compatible with the next version coming up this spring. This probably means I will need to switch to another phone.
I realise there is nothing Fairphone can do about this but obsolescence due to softwares is also a big issue that needs to be solved if we want to make mobile phones more sustainable.
Cheers

5 Likes

So, 2 days after posting this thread this happened.

Had an unfortunate run-in with the bathroom floor :frowning:

2 Likes

If you still like it than you better put a foil on it…

1 Like

Maybe someone can help me out :smile:

4 Likes

Oh no! :scream: I’m so sorry to read this! :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Besides not being able to use LinkedIn, Momondo, Strava, Google Docs, Sheet, and Slides. Trello and finally and most important my mobile banking app, my almost-four-year-old FP1 is still able to make calls.

2 Likes

Still using my phone (one of the first ones, with engraved back cover!) as a low end test device for web developing. I abandoned using it as my primary phone as it got clear that it’s never getting the promised and long awaited upgrade…
The second battery is still holding and the only thing I’ve replaced was the camera, but just to prove myself that it’s possible.
And I still get a warm feeling when i switch it on, I was so happy and proud of being part of that movement, thank you for that!

9 Likes

So my device has reached 4 years of age with daily use. It’s on its second battery and otherwise all original. At this rate it probably will last to see it’s fifth birthday, but I am starting to look around for a replacement device so I know what my options are when disaster strikes. The FP2 is priced above what I’m comfortable carrying around, so I’m tempted to give that a miss. Maybe those rumours about a lower-range Fairphone will turn out to be true this year, let’s see…

7 Likes

Mine will turn 4 at the start of February, all parts are original, no issues. I’m wishing I’d bought a new battery when they were still available though (if anyone has got a spare they’d like to sell, let me know!). I am also concerned about the lack of security updates (try to compensate by being a careful user/all accounts I access are 2-step verified, etc.).
Even so, I might actually make it to the 5 year mark, just because I’m too broke to get a FP2 for the foreseeable part of this year, and also too stubborn to settle for not-fair, unless FP1 completely dies on me. (FP1 is only my 4th ever cellphone since 2000 or 2001.)

7 Likes

Hey Michele,
what operating system do you use?
thanks, fab

The original fairphone OS with nova launcher, the best and most customizable there is!

1 Like

:frowning:

that’s such a shame.

Didn’t make it to the 4 year-old mark with my early 2014 engraved back-cover FP1…
I had to switch after 3.5 years --the determining factor was that people would not hear me talk during phone calls. They coud hear me a bit better when I was outside/not in my home that has mediocre cell phone reception, and so standing by my window to conduct work meetings was becoming too unconvenient. Add to this the slightly cracked screen, the danse of batteries to charge externally because of the dysfunctional USB port, the unfocusing camera (which I broke myself when trying to clean the said USB port), the overall slowness of the software and the limited 2G connection (#CanadianFairphoner), I have to tell the switch to FP2 was welcome (thanks for the wedding gift, mom!).

3 Likes

I’m also still using my FP1 (with engraving) as my everyday phone. The battery has been replaced once as the original one bloated. everything else is original and USB works also, just a few scratches over the years in the screen but nothing bad. Of course I have also encountered apps that I can’t use due to the old Android version but as I anyway prefer using and having as few apps installed as possible it’s not a big deal yet for me. Not getting security patches is a concern for me but as others have mentioned here and elsewhere, don’t open e-mail attachments from unknown, install apps from unknown sources etc. and the risk is minimized.

6 Likes

My FP1 was delivered in September 2014 and was working just fine until recently, despite a pretty bad screen crack due to a heavy fall. I wish I could use it at least one more year but my battery recently bloated and now it charges poorly and only works for a few hours at a time… Desperately browsing the forum in search for a second-hand FP1 battery. Fingers crossed!!

2 Likes

Some people are using a generic battery see here for more information.

1 Like

You really should give the generic battery a try. It works fine for me and is already sold as “battery for FP1 -short version” :wink:

1 Like

OK thanks, will do that if I can’t find another FP1.

I do not know what that means, though

How do I fill the space?