Since Nougat update I can't catch Pokemon anymore

@oli.sax thanks for your help anyways. I’m using FPOS.

@Johannes when I deny the camera access permission it crashes the same way as it would with the permission granted. I didn’t compare the logs yet. Do you want to see the log of that specific kind of crash?

I recall reading that on some devices AR is disabled when the app cannot detect a camera. Whether revoking permission has the same effect, I’m not sure, but it was worth a shot.
I’d imagine the crash is still the same, and unfortunately I have no idea what you can do to avoid it.

I’ve already tried that, crashes anyway,

Thank you all for the suggestions and the work on a solution!

I think I will try installing lineage15. oli.sax was it very difficult to run pogo on it? I googled a little bit and there was a tutorial recommending the iSU app. Which SU tool did you use? Added you as friend, too :wink:

Friend request accepted :slight_smile:
No, the installation of lineage15 is quite simple. Just remember to backup your current OS (via TWRP e.g.) and all your data (internal data like pictures are not included in TWRP backups.

For the root hider I use iSu, it is simple as well :smiley: . I added the iSu widget on my home screen with root on/off.

2 Likes

As documented on the bug tracker, Fairphone currently only supports OpenGL ES 2.0 in Android 7 while OpenGL ES 3.0 was available in Android 6. This might be a good candidate for the root cause of this bug.

7 Likes

Finally we have some idea what this might be about. Any idea how long it might take to solve this? The bug tracker entry is from October 11th, so that’s one month already. I don’t fancy waiting for this long…

1 Like

Thank you oli.sax, that sounds very encouraging. If I feel brave enough, I’ll give it a shot tonight and share my experience :smile:
and thx to ChuckMorris, that we now seem to know what’s the problem…

2 Likes

Then you can delete the game without opengl ES 3.0, so do not comb it !!!

I installed lineage 15 today almost hassle free following the lineage wiki guide
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/FP2/install
and as I didn’t root it, no problem playing Pogo.
Phew it feels good :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Nice! I guess I’ll try it too. That “minor problem” got pretty annoying.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Sorry, but I think it’s kind of funny, that the upgrade to Android 7 makes Pogo-Users switching to Lineage OS.
Somehow I guess, that was not intended. :grin:

3 Likes

Well, offering Android 7 with OpenGL ES 2.0 while 3.0 has been available since Android 4.4 is kind of funny too :thinking::grinning:

2 Likes

I have the same problem like the person in the beginning, so after updating for Android 7.1.2 Pokémon Go is crashing all the time while I am tipping with my finger on a Pokémon. Everything else is runing. Iam a zero in doing computer stuff. So should I wait till there is a new Fairphone update? Or how can I turn the update for 7.1.2 back to Android 6? Thanks and best wishes

1 Like

I didn’t manage to install Lineage in the end. So I’m waiting for the next Fairphone update too – hoping it will fix the problem.

Since the issue has been identified on the bugtracker, it would be good to upvote the issue there. So it gets the attention it deserves and we hopefully get a quick fix without having to change to a different OS :wink:

6 Likes

I don’t think i know how to upvote. Tips?

I added you to! :slight_smile: Thank you!

Hello, fellow trainers! :sunglasses:

I’m experiencing the same problems as you since I’ve upgraded to Android 7.1.2 (a.k.a. Nougat). The game crashes every time I try to catch a Pokemon (in the wild, as a raid boss or as a research break through), which is very annoying to say the least. :triumph: Especially considering the upcoming community event this weekend! :sob:

I’m not sure if it’s worth it to switch to LinageOS though since it would require a lot of effort. @karsten said, they’re already working on solving the problem (thank you for that btw! :relaxed:), so I guess, I’ll take a break from playing PoGo until this bug is fixed. :confounded:

@holzfaeller15: How can we upvote the issue on the bugtracker? :thinking:

@Mangoldpower: If you look at the bugtracker-post (https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-android-7/issue/56), there’s an explanation by Ellen Hill on how to go back to Android 6.
I quote:
"I had this problem too and decided to go back to Android 6.0, follow the link to find the instruction:

But unfortunately my phone got stuck during the update (see bugtracker issue #90) which ment I had to return to factory settings. Instruction here:

After this, my phone was back to Android 6.0! Now I will wait until the OpenGL issue i fixed before I update the OS again."

3 Likes

@w4tler and @lindabo: To upvote the issue, you have to register on the bugtracker website (takes less than a minute) and then click on the little up-arrow on the left of the name of the issue (next to #56).

2 Likes