Mine works fine

There are many people here in the forum who report problems with their Fairphones or complain about bad support from Fairphone company. And many doubt that there are Fairphones at all that aren’t faulty.
Well, I at least have one. I bought my FP2 in July 2016 and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I ran it on Android 5, then on Android 6, and since March 2017 I have used FPOOS. OK, I screwed it up once completely, but that was due to my tinkering with TWRP. Was a bit difficult, but thanks to great help form the forum I could get it running again. But that was my fault, not that of my FP.
So I can tell that there are Fairphones that work just as fine as they should. Without any problems. And without Gxxgle (which is even better!). But with a great user community.
So I am very happy with my FP2 and I hope I can use it for the scheduled three more years. And I would gladly buy a FP3 then…
I know there must be many more happy FP2 (and FP1) users. Maybe some of them show up here to demonstrate that faulty Fairphones are not the rule.
Have a nice Pentecost weekend,
Klaus.

40 Likes

You said it all, I could not do better beside one point missing imho.

There are users out there who knows what a smartphone is about and that it is, depending on model, a more or less fragile electronic device. Hence they know how to take “care” for it and the do’s and don’ts.
And then there are ‘the others’

But generally spoken:

• don´t perfom a drop/dive/drive-over/cook/hammer/freeze or any other destructive ‘test’ unless it is a Kyocera torque model or any other pointed out being specifically designed to withstand.
    For any safety and user instructions I believe the FP manuals are way too short to cover all possibilities. But reality has proven it´s becoming more and more necessary.

• Also no manufacturer ever afaik recommended keeping it operational in any tight pocket of garment which is actually on body, specifically not with any (audio or usb) plug inserted (due to stress, overheating, dust, shock, moist of sweat e.g. when doing sport, etc.). Doing so anyway on a common basis does not change the warranty regulations or user instructions.

It does not help to bring up comparisons in complaints like "my last phones of whatever major manufacturer could cope with that treatment"
Aha :thinking: So now you thought it would be a good idea after having spent all these so good conventional phones in the past to pay for a FP2 and being disappointed if it does not like your mistreatment and starts to misbehave or fail? Maybe someone having regular troubles with any mobile should think about this.

But what I think is worse, if the phone fails, often due to not being used properly, ‘the others’ still blame the phone or manufacturer but would never get the idea of maybe not being "mobile compliant’ :smile:
A solid piece of rock should rather be their toy.
Thinking of learning a proper lesson a fragment of glass would suffice too.
Being able to handle such without damage is a good basis to advance.

Patrick

11 Likes

Mine’s also working fine, from the beginning (it’s number 4429 from the funding area, 2 years and 5 months old, now). The Lollipop version was a bit of PITA, but I’m on LOS for quite some time, and it’s performing great!

• Using it for navigation in the car, badly mistreating because of the heat from the windshield (and, BTW, no reboots while navigating and charging, only a reboot at most once a month, mainstream smartphones do have a similar track record)
  • day to day use with messengers, also for work use

The most embarrassing point for me is the battery capacity: I have a battery health app that’s stating the capacity is at 1.950 mAh, so go figure …
I’m using the battery charge limiter app, so I’m charging as often as I can, and have a akku pack with me, but this works out great (would have been great if I had learned of the battery charge limiter app before, the battery would be grateful.

Two encounters with support: one for a case substitution, as the well know problem with the old cases hit me too, went flawlessly and very fast, one for a delivery of the new cams, where DHL badly mishandled the package. Not that professional in my eyes, but as DHL and the logistics company from Fairphone were involved, not all blame is to put on Fairphone themselves. Still, a happy end in not too long a time frame

9 Likes

Mine works fine since February 2017.
Threw some OSes at it (Sailfish OS, Fairphone Open OS, currently LineageOS), but apart from that I’m not a power user, I mostly use Firefox, some public transportation planners and now and then OsmAnd.

6 Likes

Saying my Fairphone works fine would be a grave understatement.
It might be true if it was just a smartphone to me (though even then I’d have to say it works great).
But since the Fairphones main purposes are a) to educate the customer (in this case me) about issues like conflict minerals, working conditions & circular economy and b) to invite the customer to join a community of people who want to improve things and c) to be a storytelling device and tool for the customer to spread the message I have to say the Fairphone fulfills it’s purpose perfectly.
Without a Fairphone I’d never have joined such a great community, learned so much about these important issues and learned ways to help other people with software & hardware issues.
I’d probably never have visited Amsterdam by now and I’d definitely have fewer friends (especially ones that share similar values as me).

So: Thanks Fairphone! :heart:

13 Likes

And not to forget the good conscience this phone can make. I’d provokingly state in a mathematically totally inappropriate way:

good conscience^2
+ working phone
- minor hardware issues
+ easily repairable phone
+ free OS including regular updates
- minor software issues
- non-free drivers
+ no Google
---------------------------------------------------------
Σ my fairphone works fine (physically and metaphysically)

As many things in life, it’s a compromise - but a pretty good one :grin:
(And I probably forgot some further good aspects, too. As many other humans I tend to see mostly the problems and not the things working fine.)

10 Likes

Mine does too. I did experience some issues at the start, but I was able to solve these with the feedback from the FP Forum community. Now it works just fine.

I also - still - own a FP 1 (First Edition), which also always worked without fail. I was actually quite sad to let it go, but I needed Android 4.3 and up… I hope I will be able to hold out with this one for a couple of years.

For a FP3 my nice-to-haves would be: curves. The 2 is quite “clunky”; the on-off button on the top (again). I hold my phone in my left hand and the location of the button is right where my finger usually rests while calling, i.e. I ended many a call by accident (I’m a “righty”, but I’m sure “lefties” have the same issue, but the other way around); all the pre-installed Google apps: no thank you. Other than that: I’m a happy user!!

2 Likes

I’m also an almost happy user!

I have my FP2 since beginning of this year and our common story started with the infamous random (or rather multiple) reboots. But the first little tip in the “how to” section did the job and I never had a single reboot again.

What I’m not happy about is the battery life (here I hope for the announced Android update) and up to then I’m working through the battery performance guide which has already brought a slight improvement. The camera quality for me could also be better, but well, it is just a smartphone and not a SLR camera :wink:

What I really wished for is a better position of the buttons - the on-off button being opposite to the volume buttons results in a constantly changed volume as for me it is simply impossible to avoid pressing these buttons. Here a changed setup would be very nice with the next generation of FP.

Apart from that - I am really happy that I took the step from my beloved Windows Phones to Fairphone and it gives me a good feeling to own and use this sustainable phone, to be part of this community here and to participate in making our world a little better.

6 Likes

Why don’t you disable this option (end call with power button) at settings->accessibility->power button ends call->disable ?

5 Likes

I’ve also been a happy user since February 2016! I have made a few component replacements (microphone, camera, etc.), but I am happy to be among those who can replace components rather than their entire phones. I also want to point out that the FP2 is quite durable. I use it constantly and have dropped it its fair number of times, but the second phone I (unfortunately) need to carry for work is an iPhone, and despite less frequent use, its screen has already cracked. OK, this is not a scientific comparison, but I mentally register the FP as being more robust than the flashy non-sustainable competitors on the market. I admit that I generally defer to friends to take higher quality group photos with their phones than I do with my FP, but I proudly stand up to teasing about my ‘compostable’ phone, knowing that the functionality others’ phones boast is riding on the backs of an abusive set of industries. I wonder who would really complain about their cell phone blues directly to the face of any miner working at the beginning of the precious metal supply chain.

4 Likes

February 2016…#me too :slightly_smiling_face:

Haven´t you upgraded the camera module(s)? 12MP back camera, dual flash meanwhile.

Oh, now I know what you are talking about. You seem to be wrong here. :grin: This forum is all about sustainable mobile phones.

Mine works fine too since February 2016
Minor issues could always be solved with the support in this forum. I think I had no smartphone before, that ran for more than two years so stable.

So yes, some FP2 do work indeed :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I can just follow up on this: I am one of the first who received the phone, ran it first on Android 5, now on Android 6, didn’t have to repair anything yet (if so I know where I get the available and needed parts :slight_smile: ), and it simply works as intended and I <3 my FP2 :slight_smile:

For some of the mentioned issues by others in the forum: so far the fix always arrived very soon after a bug was discovered, which is totally impressing, in absolute terms and in comparison to any other phone!

Final verdict: I simply <3 my FP2 since the beginning and will <3 it for many many years to come :slight_smile:

To the whole FP team: you are totally amazing! <3FP

5 Likes

Hi,
I’d like to queue up. Running FP2 with Fairphone Open OS since 2016, keeping it deliberately a little bit stupid German site: ‘How to keep your fairphone a little bit stupid’, I have to admit that nearly all flaws I encountered so far had their roots in my wetware, not in the hard- or software of the phone. Remember: there is no bug-free software in this universe.

Please continue the project.

Kind regards
JueShire

3 Likes

Although my FairPhone 2 has had a few problems, I too am very happy with it.
It is now 2 years 3 months old — out of warranty and well beyond what most other manufacturers would bother to support, yet in the next few weeks we are promised the latest system software possible with simple updates and relatively simple customisation for those who want it.

My phone has had two replacement cases, a screen and a microphone module, all under warranty. I sometimes wonder whether I may be a little heavy handed but all replacements have been provided without question and though the support process can seem a bit long winded I believe the team really do try hard and I’m very grateful.

3 Likes

I received my Fairphone 2 on January 8th 2016.
Yes, I have some white spots, but in normal use I don’t see them.
Yes, somethimes handsfree calling is a problem. But as it isn’t always it’s more likely a problem with the provider, not with the Fairphone 2.
Yes, I had the first cover splitting problem, but I received a slim case from support (guarantee).
I am so glad that Fairphone provides a Fairphone Open OS without google!
Therefor I am a proud owner of a Fairphone 2.

4 Likes

Just as me, ok most users coming from other phone models may have never experienced such an abnormality. But hey - as you write the spots hardly can be seen by regular use (unless someone has a rational reason staring at an empty white screen) and the display otherwise performs flawless.
Replacing it just for the spots I think is rather a cosmetic correction.

It does not count for me as a defect to take serious.

3 Likes

The rule is that the few people with faulty Fairphones have higher chances to join this forum, so it’s a bad sample to calculate the % of faulty Fairphones.
The support changed immediately my transparent case ~a year ago. Apart of this I’m a happy customer in 2+ years and I’m often suggesting this phone to people with ethics.

7 Likes

I do also agree. My FP2 is an early one (~no. 1500, delivered 31.12.2015) and works pretty fine since ever. Yes, there were some issues:

• The broken cover in the old version. Broke two times and was immediately replaced in warranty. The second time I got the new version which is good.
  • After one year the display was defect, one region did not recognize any touch input --> replaced in warranty and fine since then
  • Some reboots (~ once a month) due to mechanical stress in my pocket … guilty :sunglasses:

I plan to use the phone for >5 years, we’ll see :smiley:

Best J.

2 Likes

I find this incredibly condescending to people like myself that have had many issues with FP2 at no fault of their own. It does not matter how well you treat the phone if it suffers from inherent design/manufacturing flaws.

I am happy for you that you have not had any troubles with your FP2, and I hope it will stay that way in the future.

1 Like