Microphone not working anymore

“I love what they’re trying to do here but this is driving me insane!”

• Same!

Problem solved !!! After months of waiting : I took out the module and cleaned it up there was tiny tiny things stuck in there ! Try that !

6 Likes

Hi there,

back in June the primary microphone suddenly stopped working, I received a new one, replaced it easily - “all was well”. Until last week: when placing or receiving a call, once again people complained about crackling sounds, as if i was in the middle of a huge storm, or didn’t hear me at all. At first, I could solve the problem by rebooting, than following the guidelines I took the module out and carefully reassembled all parts, etc. The latest update is installed. But for the past few days, nothing seems to help. I already submitted a help plea last week and have been waiting for a response ever since.

And even when that finally happens, I don’t know what to do. I need a working phone that I can rely on, especially for business reasons.

So are there any ideas of why the microphone keeps ‘breaking’? Am I doing sth wrong, whatever that might be? I’m seriously considering switching back to a ‘normal’ phone, no matter how much I love the idea and work behind this project.

Cheers! :pensive:

2 Likes

I didn’t find it on my search right now, but I think I remember having read in this forum, that the construction of the bottom module might result in damaging the microphone mechanically via the usb-port. Btw. that seems to be a standard construction.
As I have not encountered any problems with my microphone or usb-port, might it be, that you are using the phone while being connected to a charger, thereby exerting force to the bottom module via the plug and cable?
I only ever plug my charger in and leave the phone in its corner until I unplug it. Don’t know, if that might make a difference, just came to my mind.

4 Likes

I have the exact same problem (and had the one before as well), you’re not alone!

It seems to be connected to the structure of the bottom module, especially how it’s in contact with the cover, because the crackling sound is more or less loud according to how you hold it in your hand, more or less firmly… Or maybe it’s linked to the too close proximity between the microphone and the USB port getting too old…

I’m currently waiting for an answer of the support. They should send us a new bottom module very shortly… And apparently they are considering redesigning it, as they told me recently when I called for another issue!

For the time waiting, you can use a headset with microphone as a workaround, no need to buy a new phone :wink: And be patient, it’s such a small, green, fair and so nice company!

1 Like

You might consider calling them, as that works faster than writing.

That’s an interesting idea. Because you could actually do something about that.

As I was suspicious about connecting and disconnecting the USB port all the time, I got me some magnetic micro USB adapters some months ago to relieve the USB port of this stress with my charging and data cables at home (and I tend to have one with me for use on the road).
They are working great so far.

1 Like

Thank you for your helpful answers!

Crackling → seems to only occur when the phone is connected to a charger, that is good to know! (Still, something that shouldn’t be). I’ll add that to my ticket and hope it helps find a solution!

No sounds → that occurs when not connected to a charger, a reboot or reassembling the phone sometimes helps.

Yes, absolutely, I loveed the idea, since I only buy fair goods, clothes etc. However this is the third issue within almost 2 years. Not counting the troubles during the first months of rebooting-circles and software issues.

Headset → no use, I own one from my old phone but it is not compatible with FP2. Wanting to get a new phone only stems form my strained patience after experiencing so many troubles with soft- as well as hardware during the past two years.

I’ll try calling as soon as the microphone works :wink:

1 Like

Hi all,
I had the same thing but the primary mic broke after about 2 years though, the hardware diagnostics was really useful in identifying it.
I’ve order a new bottom module but prior to it breaking I had been travelling which involved a lot of using my phone while charging ie reading at night/ on trains.
It’s good to know where I need to be more careful with the new module
Thanks BertG for identifying the problem!

1 Like

Well, when inserting the charger cable, and pushing it into exactly the right position and holding on tight - it kinda works for a while. This is not acceptable, the second time within 3/4 months, no response for over a week. I guess it is time to stop recommending FP and turn to other options. There are other fair phones out there, like Shift phone, maybe I’ll give them a try. Sad, but I’m pretty fed up with all the time I spent researching solutions for problems with this phone.

My experience:
I started having this problem months ago. At the beginning it only happened sporadically, but one day it just stopped working. If I pressed on the screen it would work initially, but then that stopped working too.
I had to buy headphones with microphone to be able to make calls.
Support were always very nice, but they took at least a week to reply initially. I got a replacement bottom module, I swapped it and the problem persisted. That was six weeks ago. Since then, I waited two weeks to get any response from the support team. They offered to send me a new bottom module again. two weeks later, instead, they offered to arrange sending the phone back to them for repair. Two weeks later I was still waiting for the confirmation. Finally a couple of days ago I got this confirmation. But there is no indication of how long this process is going to take.

Thank you! Though it is good to know that one’s not alone, it still, well, sucks. I get it when support is swamped, but than they need to work on their processes / materials etc. Having to wait two weeks for a response, and even longer for a working phone is not acceptable. And keeping this conditions in mind, it is way to expensive. :unamused:

1 Like

Tips: if you want a faster processing customer service, give them a call… with a landline :wink:
And if your phone is still less than 2 years old, it should still be under garantee, so don’t buy modules on your own, or ask for a refund if you did!

Thank you very much, but no. I don’t own a landline anymore. And yes, I could ask someone or use the company’s probbaly. The phone is expensive enough to expect decent services.
They finally got back to me, I will receive a new module - but that does not solve the problem itself. Can I finally rely on this one? Will this one also be broken in a few months? Will I - for the third time - not be able to reached by my boss & partners, etc?

1 Like

I very well understand your reservations.
On the othe hand you might try to get some confidence out of the fact, that lots of fairphones - like mine - are equipped with flawlessly working bottom modules.

2 Likes

My phone came back repaired today. In case it helps anyone, the report says that they changed both the top and the bottom modules to get the microphone working again.

2 Likes

Wow, quite the party going on here :slight_smile:

I experienced primary microphone issues that temporarily went away by rebooting the phone. #TeamHeadset
So now after writing to the support staff, I’m going to receive a new bottom module. Excited to find out if it will fix my problems!

1 Like

I have exactly the same thing ! Personnaly, I have triée to change my buttom module with a new one but it doesn’t work too

Same as you :

First microphone bugged: :confused:

• I ask to the support a new one and I receve it in few day :slight_smile:

Second microphone bugged: :triumph:

• I read all the 165 posts :cold_sweat:
  • I dismounted and reassembled the microphone with pressing it upwards.
  • I go to the Checkup tool : Settings > Maintenance > Checkup > Primary microphone > Start test and putting my charger in the phone and using it to press the bottom module to the top make the microphone work. :grinning:

I hope it will help you.

1 Like

The bug come back :disappointed:, I will ask to the support a new bottom module. But unfortunately I know it is an hardware problem !

I have asked a new bottom module to the support.
I received it yesterday .
I replace it this morning.
So far, so good.